Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
I like Cespedes as an option for the Sox. I don't like how he will only play LF though. I remember a lot of the issues that led to his departure from Oakland was his unwillingness to play other positions. He would make sense on a front loaded deal with an opt out.

He played a lot of CF for the Mets iirc

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
I like Cespedes as an option for the Sox. I don't like how he will only play LF though. I remember a lot of the issues that led to his departure from Oakland was his unwillingness to play other positions. He would make sense on a front loaded deal with an opt out.

oh what an idea a front loaded contract..... i wonder how much??

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
and i know i will shoot myself in the dang foot, but hades, i would even sign alexei to a nice team deal for yr. i still like his hitting, even thou his avg last yr wasn't too good.

I wouldn't shoot myself for saying that. Obviously we are all to over excited from a tweet, but let's say somehow we did get Cespedes. If the Sox could sign Alexei for $5-7mm there's no way you can tell me we aren't a better team having him out there and having Saladino as your super-sub again.

If you're signing Cespedes for $22mm there's no downside to Alexei at $7mm.

IF we were able to do that... the only real "hole" for offense would be 2b and C -- and probably somewhat CF with Thompson.

The only real holes on defense would be C.

And the only real wholes in the staff would E. Johnson and depth in case someone went down.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)

The Sox payroll obligations pretty much rule out a front loaded deal, and honestly make a backloaded deal more likely.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
I wouldn't shoot myself for saying that. Obviously we are all to over excited from a tweet, but let's say somehow we did get Cespedes. If the Sox could sign Alexei for $5-7mm there's no way you can tell me we aren't a better team having him out there and having Saladino as your super-sub again.

If you're signing Cespedes for $22mm there's no downside to Alexei at $7mm.

IF we were able to do that... the only real "hole" for offense would be 2b and C -- and probably somewhat CF with Thompson.

The only real holes on defense would be C.

And the only real wholes in the staff would E. Johnson and depth in case someone went down.

i am being blinded here and i will acknowledge it. seeing cepedes and alexei sign and being on the team. i am look at the popularity side of it. i have faith in the sox if they indeed do this, if not, ii can do another rant. but seriously, i want to compete with that f***ing sCrubs .... oh how i hate them.

ref the missing pieces. if the worst case is alexei is sign, i will be very contented on sanchez at 2b as long the dh and another sp is look at to be improve.

I really like the idea of Cespedes. I think having him on our team does wonders for both the club and the fans. Not sure how I view the contract he is probably going to get but I think adding him will light a fire in this club. Anyone know if he has a history with Abreu?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
Don't see how it's any different than any other site that cites a reference (in this case a tweet). That's all mlbtr is.

True, but Sports Mockery is terrible. They once cited me as a source for a Bears rumor. They've cited other posters on here as well.

MLBTR is a well known site that has their own ideas and doesn't take credit from reporters. I just use them for certain information. If ya got Mockery in your name then... However the mockery article did embed Kaplans tweet so they weren't taking credit.

Edited by SouthSideSale

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 17m17 minutes ago

With OF market frozen and O's talks with Chris Davis at a standstill, BAL has engaged with high-end FA OFers, including Yoenis Cespedes.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 15m15 minutes ago

O's situation with Davis remains the same:$150m offer off the table, but would discuss re-opening--at their price. But don't intend to wait.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 10m10 minutes ago

Some execs predicted in Oct. lots of players would be paid well, but b/c of high volume of FAs, some wouldn't be paid as much as expected.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 15, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
You don't even need WAR to know Cespedes is the better player.

The A's were a force with Cespedes and the instant he left they immediately turned into a mediocre team. Then he went to Detroit (his stay with Boston was meaningless) where he fueled their torrid start and kept them in playoff contention right up until they traded him. Then Cespedes pushed the Mets over the Nationals and led that team to the league lead in 2nd half offense.

Cespedes = wins.

This is EXACTLY why I like Cespedes. It's not always about the stats.