Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
If Laroche bounces back, we have no issues. I agree, if we can slide him down to 6th or 7th in the lineup the Sox will be in business. But I'm more worried about sliding Melky over to start in right field if Gordon comes in. I'd rather have Laroche gone so Melky can become the main DH, and we'll figure out right field as we go (Melky/Avi/Schuck/4th outfielder yet to be acquired in a platoon based on hitting splits).

That's the best case scenario, especially considering that's alot of K's in between hitters and that's with the unknown of Saladino currently.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Sources: #WhiteSox showing interest in Alex Gordon, among others. Gordon appeals for several reasons: Knows division, LHH, defense, makeup.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/679344296647131140

Question is whether #WhiteSox could pay Gordon enough to pry him from #Royals. Team would be left with Melky, LaRoche, Garcia at RF/DH.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/679344301374087169

#WhiteSox could trade one of those players - preferably LaRoche, who will earn $13M in ’16. Wouldn’t be easy with Alvarez, Carter among FAs.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/679344306247876608

Caufield is officially placed on suicide watch.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
If Laroche bounces back, we have no issues. I agree, if we can slide him down to 6th or 7th in the lineup the Sox will be in business. But I'm more worried about sliding Melky over to start in right field if Gordon comes in. I'd rather have Laroche gone so Melky can become the main DH, and we'll figure out right field as we go (Melky/Avi/Schuck/4th outfielder yet to be acquired in a platoon based on hitting splits).

What teams would potentially take LaRoche though? The only possible fit I see would be maybe the Brewers, because they have no one to play 1B right now, and if we give them enough cash it could be worth it for them because if LaRoche does bounce back they can flip him at the deadline. That's it though, and it seems pretty unlikely.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
What teams would potentially take LaRoche though? The only possible fit I see would be maybe the Brewers, because they have no one to play 1B right now, and if we give them enough cash it could be worth it for them because if LaRoche does bounce back they can flip him at the deadline. That's it though, and it seems pretty unlikely.

Pirates, but if the rumors are true, they already turned down LaRoche with the sox paying most of his remaining salary. I still think he'd do alot better in the NL.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)

Just spitballing, the Brewers look like a very slim maybe, and they might be your best shot, again, short of an injury that leaves some team scrambling to fill a spot. I'm just obsessing over keeping Melky out of right field if Gordon comes over, and trying to figure out a way to open up that specific roster spot.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Seems to be heating up. I like it. Hope we get one of these guys soon.

I kinda feel like Gordon/Royals and Davis/Orioles is holding everything else up. Once Gordon signs back with the Royals, other teams will get more aggressive with targets.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
Just spitballing, the Brewers look like a very slim maybe, and they might be your best shot, again, short of an injury that leaves some team scrambling to fill a spot. I'm just obsessing over keeping Melky out of right field if Gordon comes over, and trying to figure out a way to open up that specific roster spot.

If Davis goes to the Orioles, then Alvarez almost definitely goes to Brewers

Not since late Sunday. Down to CWS & KC. Still think it happens Tom or Thu but suppose could go on a few more days.

https://mobile.twitter.com/royalsclubhouse/...347882843967488

This guy seems to think it's between us and KC but his freshest info came from Sunday so who knows. I'm just getting so impatient, just want to know if we really are going to sign one of these three.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
I kinda feel like Gordon/Royals and Davis/Orioles is holding everything else up. Once Gordon signs back with the Royals, other teams will get more aggressive with targets.

I completely agree.

If those 2 resign with their respective teams, then the Upton and Cespedes will heat up with us, Giants, Angels, Nationals?

Cardinals might be out with the Leake signing, they could probably make a trade for an OFer without that big of a money commitment.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
I rather bat him two and move Melky into more of an RBI spot.

If Melky's going to deliver his mighty .709 OPS again, he needs to bat down in the order.

Sox don't really have a #2 hitter. Neither Lawry nor Melky can take a walk and they don't get on base

If the Sox need to go to the 2nd tier, someone like Parra isn't exactly a prolific on base guy, but he's better than most of what they have.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Another scenario that hasn't been mentioned yet is that this whole negotiation with Gordon could purely be a ploy to bid up KC and make them pay more for him.

I have no idea if that's truly the case or not, but it could be a possibility.

Whether that is the intent or not, and I kind of doubt it, it will be the result if he goes back to KC, which I still doubt.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Not since late Sunday. Down to CWS & KC. Still think it happens Tom or Thu but suppose could go on a few more days.

https://mobile.twitter.com/royalsclubhouse/...347882843967488

This guy seems to think it's between us and KC but his freshest info came from Sunday so who knows. I'm just getting so impatient, just want to know if we really are going to sign one of these three.

Personally, I would still like to see the Sox sign Upton or Cespedes. Yes, a Gordon contract would be less $$ but, at age 32 I worry. I'd also like to see a little more power in the lineup although I realize Gordon would add defense, to a team badly in need of it.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Personally, I would still like to see the Sox sign Upton or Cespedes. Yes, a Gordon contract would be less $$ but, at age 32 I worry. I'd also like to see a little more power in the lineup although I realize Gordon would add defense, to a team badly in need of it.

I go back and forth with who of the three I rather have. Each guy brings a different skill set or attributes that this team lacks and needs. Quite honestly I would be over the moon if we sign any of them. If we do sign one of these guys I think it instantly makes us a better team. Between the Fraizer and Lawrie acquisitions and the FA signings we made last year that didn't quite pan out, but I really do think bounce back for us in '16, makes us contenders next season. I just don't know if we will sign any of them, it's not really our MO, however I think the market has made it impossible for us not to consider seriously.

I will say that my personal disappointment along with this boards disappointment if we end up striking out on all three would be a site to see after all this build of over the last two weeks or so on this board about the big three.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

Just going to go ahead and say I would totally be in for Gordon. Having him in LF along with Saladino at SS and Frazier at 3B would lock down the left side of the field. If you can upgrade RF defensively, that team looks real nasty.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
I go back and forth with who of the three I rather have. Each guy brings a different skill set or attributes that this team lacks and needs. Quite honestly I would be over the moon if we sign any of them. If we do sign one of these guys I think it instantly makes us a better team. Between the Fraizer and Lawrie acquisitions and the FA signings we made last year that didn't quite pan out, but I really do think bounce back for us in '16, makes us contenders next season. I just don't know if we will sign any of them, it's not really our MO, however I think the market has made it impossible for us not to consider seriously.

I will say that my personal disappointment along with this boards disappointment if we end up striking out on all three would be a site to see after all this build of over the last two weeks or so on this board about the big three.

I agree 100%. One of the three have to be signed or, as you have said, with already the acquisition of both Frazier and Lawrie doing no more would be extremely disappointing.