2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
Wait I thought Bannon said this. Who's they?

According to Bannon:

"You got to remember, we’re Breitbart,” Bannon replied. “We’re the know-nothing vulgarians. So we’ve always got to be to the right of you on this.”

So I believe the "they" is Breitbart.

I have a question for you:

Do you think that there is any problem with someone who runs a news publication, who was very favorable to a Presidential candidate, then being named to the cabinet?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
Under no circumstances, should Bannon be associated with the White house. Trump needs to get his act together. The nationalist sentiments coming from the campaign is always what terrified me the most about Trump.

This is why they got elected, at least as much as the electoral college. They told people it's ok to be bigots and that excited the Republican base.

This is his act.

Buddy of mine is part of the Republican foreign policy establishment and a professor of international relations. Put this piece up tonight, I'll share a portion.

The best-case analogy is that we will see a mild reprise of the 1920s, a decade in which the United States finally, permanently rejected the League of Nations but also gradually modestly and informally reconciled itself to taking a leading role in the international system — too little, too late. The worst-case scenario is that the transition from unipolarity takes an ugly term. Unipolarity depends more than people realize on the voluntary cooperation of other leading powers and the trust they can repose in the leading state. Those factors, intangible but real, have largely evaporated. And in a world without a focal point and hegemon to sustain cooperation, the dynamics for regional and global challenges are likely to become more pressing than we have seen in the past 100 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
This is why they got elected, at least as much as the electoral college. They told people it's ok to be bigots and that excited the Republican base.

This is his act.

It wasnt just that. They also sold fictitious solutions. I do believe that many voters bought what Trump was selling, but I have a feeling none of those people ever tried things like Trump wine.

True story, if you have a wedding at Trump Tower, they serve Trump wine.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/16/politics...sion/index.html

Ooops...we thought the Pentagon/Defense Department and State Department were supposed to call US!!!

Election Day was eight days ago, but Donald Trump's transition team has yet to contact the Pentagon, State Department or other federal agencies. And a move to purge some transition advisers and employees has further slowed the process of getting the incoming administration off the blocks.

So-called landing teams, which President Barack Obama installed at federal agencies within days of the election for his own transition, had been expected to arrive in DC Monday. But Vice President-elect Pence's takeover of the team caused a cascade of delays.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 12:12 AM)
It wasnt just that. They also sold fictitious solutions. I do believe that many voters bought what Trump was selling, but I have a feeling none of those people ever tried things like Trump wine.

True story, if you have a wedding at Trump Tower, they serve Trump wine.

Bannon is there to make sure that the hatred of everyone isn't just talk. That's why he's there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)

This is his act.

This thought is dangerous. It is what Hillary Clinton leveraged and it didn't work. If people believe that is why they got elected, then they are missing the reality of the situation. The election happened because of a combination of things, the bulk of which people wanted serious change. They wanted a change candidate and Trump was who represented the people most in want of change (and even then he got less votes than McCain and Romney). Trump also talked to more people in the rest belt area who have had things get worse over the last 8 years and who wanted a change.

Now did those people ignore certain things Donald said / did, absolutely, but to lump in and just assume that everyone who cast there vote for Trump feels the way that you seem to think is just ridiculous and does not solve anything. You saw what good those type of statements did Hillary (calling half of the voting population deplorables doesn't help things). The fact of the matter is everyone lost in this election, but we really lost if the actual politicians don't recognize that the people are fed up and do want change. They want people in the government to work together to come up with things that in general the people want, that will make there lives better. Case closed that a lot of people didn't feel that happened. Bill Clinton himself has been highlighted talking about a lot of these very same things.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
This thought is dangerous. It is what Hillary Clinton leveraged and it didn't work. If people believe that is why they got elected, then they are missing the reality of the situation. The election happened because of a combination of things, the bulk of which people wanted serious change. They wanted a change candidate and Trump was who represented the people most in want of change (and even then he got less votes than McCain and Romney). Trump also talked to more people in the rest belt area who have had things get worse over the last 8 years and who wanted a change.

Now did those people ignore certain things Donald said / did, absolutely, but to lump in and just assume that everyone who cast there vote for Trump feels the way that you seem to think is just ridiculous and does not solve anything. You saw what good those type of statements did Hillary (calling half of the voting population deplorables doesn't help things). The fact of the matter is everyone lost in this election, but we really lost if the actual politicians don't recognize that the people are fed up and do want change. They want people in the government to work together to come up with things that in general the people want, that will make there lives better. Case closed that a lot of people didn't feel that happened. Bill Clinton himself has been highlighted talking about a lot of these very same things.

Absolutely.

Does it suck that a large number of voters ignored blatant racism and elected a president with racist ties? Yes. Does that mean that they are racist and will always vote for a racist candidate? No. The Democrats have to go back and analyze their mistakes. Losing states that have been solid blue for almost 30 years is a failure by the party and the Clinton campaign. Guilt tripping people and making them feel bad about their political choices doesn't work because nobody else is around to see who you voted for in the voting booth.

If it were Rubio, Kasich or Jeb in Trump's spot, I'd agree.

But people condoned bigotry with their votes this election, there's no real way around that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
If it were Rubio, Kasich or Jeb in Trump's spot, I'd agree.

But people condoned bigotry with their votes this election, there's no real way around that.

If it were any of those three candidates, you wouldn't have had any of these discussions anyway.

I spent the entire election say that a large part of the country just wanted something different. I think the obvious take away is that neither party gave the electorate exactly what they wanted, and that if either party had nominated even a slightly more palatable candidate to the middle of America, they would have trounced the other party in this election.

The people gave a pretty clear message in this election, both who they voted for, and with how many people stayed home. Hopefully both parties are listening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
I spent the entire election say that a large part of the country just wanted something different. I think the obvious take away is that neither party gave the electorate exactly what they wanted, and that if either party had nominated even a slightly more palatable candidate to the middle of America, they would have trounced the other party in this election.

The people gave a pretty clear message in this election, both who they voted for, and with how many people stayed home. Hopefully both parties are listening.

And posts like Balta's would make me think that one side doesn't get it and on the republican side, this whole mandate also would lead me to believe they largely don't get it. Will be very interesting to see what happens these next couple of years. I hope the actual stuff people push through largely aligns to things that a majority of the country believes make sense. On healthcare Trump seems to have taken a step to fall that way (but none of us know for sure) and similarly on potentially on things like gay marriage.

That said, there are other things that are still way out there / open.

The idea that after 8 years "change" is going to be a winning recipe is absolutely true. There is a reason we have only seen the incumbent party win after 8 years of rule from previous president 3 times in last 100 years.

It is obvious Clinton was a bad candidate for Change message.

But that "change" was the recipe for success among this man that was so clearly corrupt beyond Clinton, ill-prepared, ill-tempered, unbothered, and fomenting racism, xenophobia and bigotry for so many people doesn't absolve them from the responsibility of that decision.

Are the very vocal, very terrible people the majority of those who voted for trump? No. But they are a much bigger and powerful group than they would be with any other Repub president. They are becoming cabinet officials.

Was this obvious prior to his election. YES. So should we human shield all of the people who voted trump by saying they aren't horrible people? I guess I just don't care. Whether they just wanted to vote against clinton or are a white nationalist voting for trump, they voted for very powerful positions to go to very horrible people.

And we all pay.

Do I want their votes again? Yes. But the 5 million americans who didn't vote may be a better place to start.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
The idea that after 8 years "change" is going to be a winning recipe is absolutely true. There is a reason we have only seen the incumbent party win after 8 years of rule from previous president 3 times in last 100 years.

But that "change" was the recipe for success among this man that was so clearly corrupt beyond Clinton, ill-prepared, ill-tempered, unbothered, and fomenting racism, xenophobia and bigotry for so many people doesn't absolve them from the responsibility of that decision.

Are the very vocal, very terrible people the majority of those who voted for trump? No. But they are a much bigger and powerful group than they would be with any other Repub president. They are becoming cabinet officials.

Was this obvious prior to his election. YES. So should we human shield all of the people who voted trump by saying they aren't horrible people? I guess I just don't care. Whether they just wanted to vote against clinton or are a white nationalist voting for trump, they voted for very powerful positions to go to very horrible people.

And we all pay.

Do I want their votes again? Yes. But the 5 million americans who didn't vote may be a better place to start.

If you want to just go and call half of the country disgusting, go right ahead, but lets see what good that does solving any problems in our country. It makes you no different then the other side. Hillary should have spent more time attacking the issues and talking about how she was going to drive change and make the country better. I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm not going to call everyone who voted for Trump disgusting (misguided, absolutely), but deep down, I hope somehow they weren't so wrong and Trump ends up being a fantastic president.

If he doesn't, then people should use their voice and let it be heard so that everyone understands why his policies are wrong and what he is doing is wrong. But for all those people protesting who didn't cast a vote, I hope they all learn a lesson and cast a vote in the future. And when you say they voted for very powerful positions to go to very horrible people, lets not forget that there was a lot of people who didn't think all that highly of Clinton and could even have gone as far as calling her pretty horrible. So in many people's eyes it was picking the less horrible and some people viewed that as being Trump, others saw it as Clinton, others clearly didn't vote.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
If you want to just go and call half of the country disgusting, go right ahead, but lets see what good that does solving any problems in our country. It makes you no different then the other side. Hillary should have spent more time attacking the issues and talking about how she was going to drive change and make the country better. I didn't vote for Trump, but I'm not going to call everyone who voted for Trump disgusting (misguided, absolutely), but deep down, I hope somehow they weren't so wrong and Trump ends up being a fantastic president.

If he doesn't, then people should use their voice and let it be heard so that everyone understands why his policies are wrong and what he is doing is wrong. But for all those people protesting who didn't cast a vote, I hope they all learn a lesson and cast a vote in the future. And when you say they voted for very powerful positions to go to very horrible people, lets not forget that there was a lot of people who didn't think all that highly of Clinton and could even have gone as far as calling her pretty horrible. So in many people's eyes it was picking the less horrible and some people viewed that as being Trump, others saw it as Clinton, others clearly didn't vote.

Honestly, I read your first sentence and I don't know how that is at all what I said.

I'm not calling half the country disgusting. But just because there are some Trump voters that have seen their towns pop decrease and jobs go away does not mean that we should be silent that their vote empowered some very terrible people. I may be incapable of making that point, but I am not calling people inherently evil for voting for trump. But their vote for trump put some very bad people in office, despite very obvious evidence that this was the case.

Edit: I read the rest of your post and largely agree. But I think both can be done. I and others can be a watchdog, criticize the clinton campaign, and acknowledge that nearly half the country voted for a person appointing absolute nuts to important positions and not be wrong in any of them. Maybe there's too much focus on point 3, it's week 2.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)

And we all pay.

The voters that stayed home from Obama to Clinton is a clear message to the Democratic party, very similar to the one that was sent to the GOP after running John McCain.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
Honestly, I read your first sentence and I don't know how that is at all what I said.

I'm not calling half the country disgusting. But just because there are some Trump voters that have seen their towns pop decrease and jobs go away does not mean that we should be silent that their vote empowered some very terrible people. I may be incapable of making that point, but I am not calling people inherently evil for voting for trump. But their vote for trump put some very bad people in office, despite very obvious evidence that this was the case.

Edit: I read the rest of your post and largely agree. But I think both can be done. I and others can be a watchdog, criticize the clinton campaign, and acknowledge that nearly half the country voted for a person appointing absolute nuts to important positions and not be wrong in any of them. Maybe there's too much focus on point 3, it's week 2.

Gotcha, I might have read it different, but I agree with what your rephrase above.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
The voters that stayed home from Obama to Clinton is a clear message to the Democratic party, very similar to the one that was sent to the GOP after running John McCain.

Yes. I agree. It was a failure, they failed the country, they failed their constituents. THey had a murderers row of people campaigning for Clinton and yet it was Clinton herself. I'll never make that mistake again.