2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loggains is using Cutler the way Gase did last year, except Cutler has better targets than last year when it wasn't just guys off the street. It's like he was coaching a completely different team this time. There's a whole dimension there that just wasn't there with Hoyer playing.

And you just know Fox would've started Hoyer if he was healthy and we would've seen a 10-9 loss

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
Gruden criticizing Alshon after a bad pass it looked like to me. Agreed?

Cutler usually throws about as far at the edge of Alshon's wingspan as he can when he's in the red zone because he knows he will come down with it, and if he doesn't, it doesn't get intercepted and sails out of bounds instead. Either Alshon didn't get there or Cutler led him by a couple feet too much.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 10:39 PM)
I know vikes are banged up but amazed the holes that backup guards Kush and Larsen got on them.

That and it was about as good of a development game as you could hope for. Floyd/white hair looked great.

I did not see the whole game but from what I saw, the OL and moving pocket were key.

I am still mystified that Jay is not allowed to roll out as much.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I did not see the whole game but from what I saw, the OL and moving pocket were key.

I am still mystified that Jay is not allowed to roll out as much.

During the game, my friend said "why doesn't Loggains do that with Cutler more" after Cutler did a bootleg and picked up a huge gain.

I said "why doesn't (insert every Bears OC since Martz) do that with Cutler more?"

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
During the game, my friend said "why doesn't Loggains do that with Cutler more" after Cutler did a bootleg and picked up a huge gain.

I said "why doesn't (insert every Bears OC since Martz) do that with Cutler more?"

It really is crazy.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/film-st...n-over-vikings/

Twelve of Cutler’s 31 attempted passes involved some form of play fakes, rollouts or a moving pocket. He completed eight of those 12 passes for 100 yards and a touchdown.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm just so glad to have Jay back, games are so much more palatable with him around. The turnovers will come but at least it'll be entertaining, he was throwing bullets last night, so refreshing.

Except winning is the worst thing that can happen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Except winning is the worst thing that can happen.

Honestly, if we are going to win like that the rest of the way, I am 100% fine with winning. It wasn't some weak win. That was a totally dominating performance and it was one where our young players came through as well (Floyd was dynamic...Hicks played well...Whitehair continues to excel).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Honestly, if we are going to win like that the rest of the way, I am 100% fine with winning. It wasn't some weak win. That was a totally dominating performance and it was one where our young players came through as well (Floyd was dynamic...Hicks played well...Whitehair continues to excel).

Sure, in some way it felt great, but we need the highest draft picks possible. And the only way to do that is lose and lose a lot and maybe even trade for some of them.

Surprise surprise, over the last 3 years, Jay Cutler has had the most roughing the passer penalties which weren't called then any QB in the league. Cam ranked 11th. A lot of journeyman on the list ahead of Cam as well. Always thought Jay never got calls. Was surprised to see Big Ben so high, but kind of makes sense. I bet on the flip side, you'd see Rodgers, Manning, and Brady pretty high on the other side of the list. Part of that comes with star status.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2673101...paign=editorial

Cutler is a pretty damn good QB when he doesn't turn the ball over. He was really good last year, and great on Monday night. The other games this year, he would cough it up. I suppose you could blame the o-line for some of it, but for what he's paid, he needs to overcome that, and either get rid of it before a fumble, or throw it away instead of an INT more often.

It appears like with Marshall, the new regime's plan was to get rid of Cutler as soon as it made cap sense. Maybe he will change minds the rest of this season.

The Bears were looking for QBs for decades, then trade for him. Most everyone thought he was the savior initially. I think Peter King predicted the Bears would win the Super Bowl. I am aftraid cutting him will bring back the same problem. No QB.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Cutler is a pretty damn good QB when he doesn't turn the ball over. He was really good last year, and great on Monday night. The other games this year, he would cough it up. I suppose you could blame the o-line for some of it, but for what he's paid, he needs to overcome that, and either get rid of it before a fumble, or throw it away instead of an INT more often.

It appears like with Marshall, the new regime's plan was to get rid of Cutler as soon as it made cap sense. Maybe he will change minds the rest of this season.

The Bears were looking for QBs for decades, then trade for him. Most everyone thought he was the savior initially. I think Peter King predicted the Bears would win the Super Bowl. I am aftraid cutting him will bring back the same problem. No QB.

Cutting Cutler makes no sense if you don't have a replacement lined up. Any replacement in FA will cost similar dollars to Jay (see Osweiler, Cousins and Fitzpatrick money this offseason) and won't be an upgrade over Cutler. Any replacement in the draft requires either giving up lots of draft capital to move up, or is generally a guy who isn't ready to play on day one.

The Bears don't have the assets in place to make a later round pick successful right away. Prescott is in a position to succeed because the Cowboys' line and run game are so good. The Bears don't have that going for them.

The dead cap money in '17 is negligible, but it's a small hit in '18 as well (less actually). Simply put, it makes zero sense to walk away from Cutler without somebody ready to go to replace him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)

This years sample size on Jay is so stinking small. He played all of 3 games and got hurt in the 2nd game of the season. In those games, he had a very good 1st half against the Texans (strong defense) and then we collapsed. 2nd game was not good and 3rd was such a small sample size.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
This years sample size on Jay is so stinking small. He played all of 3 games and got hurt in the 2nd game of the season. In those games, he had a very good 1st half against the Texans (strong defense) and then we collapsed. 2nd game was not good and 3rd was such a small sample size.

Supposedly he was hurt at the end of the 1st game, which hurt his second game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)

There really is no need for a sample size. He's playing off the same playbook in the same system so you can use last year if you want, but Cutler is the same guy he's always been.

Jay's been here for 8 years now and I still don't think most people understand him, even if the local Chicago media has gotten a lot better about how to cover him. There's no "good Jay" and "bad Jay," the reason he has heroic 4th quarter rallies and throws 3-4 interceptions is the same reason - when the Bears are behind and need to score and/or when the offense is stalled, he starts improvising to make things happen. The thing people have to realize is that he cares about winning a *lot* but he's not really conscious of his numbers, he really doesn't care how pretty or ugly his stats are at the end of the game, only whether they won, and he doesn't care how it happened. So when this works, it's spectacular, but when it doesn't, he will just keep pushing harder. If he throws a pick but they get 2 TDs at the end of the game, wonderful, if he throws 4 picks, there's no difference in his mind because they were going to lose the game anyway.

Commentators and fans talk about it like he was erratic and lost control but it's not that, he just wants to go down swinging.

Yeah, I agree with much of this, but if the question is whether it makes sense to cut him or not, and further, does it make sense to cut him if you do not have someone ready to take over (we won't), there is absolutely a case to be made to cut him (though it would not be my choice).

If you cut him, you know you won't win many games, which will likely provide you with a better chance to obtain his replacement in the draft. Additionally, if you cut him, you've now got some additional dollars to spend in FA, perhaps on a player that you intend to be part of your nucleus moving forward.

So there are arguments for moving forward with cutting Jay, even without a clear-cut replacement.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Yeah, I agree with much of this, but if the question is whether it makes sense to cut him or not, and further, does it make sense to cut him if you do not have someone ready to take over (we won't), there is absolutely a case to be made to cut him (though it would not be my choice).

If you cut him, you know you won't win many games, which will likely provide you with a better chance to obtain his replacement in the draft. Additionally, if you cut him, you've now got some additional dollars to spend in FA, perhaps on a player that you intend to be part of your nucleus moving forward.

So there are arguments for moving forward with cutting Jay, even without a clear-cut replacement.

That's something they could have done this year, since it's not like they needed the guaranteed money for the cap space anyway, they have plenty. It'd be dumb to move on from him with no clear path forward, imo

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
That's something they could have done this year, since it's not like they needed the guaranteed money for the cap space anyway, they have plenty. It'd be dumb to move on from him with no clear path forward, imo

Well do we really expect a clear path forward to emerge by next year?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
Well do we really expect a clear path forward to emerge by next year?

By then it would've been year 3 of a rebuilding project, that isn't time to be okay with still losing games. I'd be really annoyed if they were still lacking a sense of urgency about developing a QB prospect, especially considering how difficult it is to do so these days with most QB prospects not being ready for the NFL.

That's the thing, no clear path or alternative moving forward, it makes little sense to cut him IMO. I understand the concept of tanking for draft picks, but because of career length, you can't do that for 4 or 5 years in the NFL or you will just have to start over again as the first guys you drafted and signed will become free agents or insurance salesman.

Do the Bears really want to throw away 2017 right now? I doubt it, and then even if you draft a QB first or second, how long does it take to start winning from there?

I don't think it's unreasonable when the Bears hired Pace and Fox to expect the playoffs in 2017. If they cut Cutler, unless they get really lucky somehow, I don't see that happening right now.