2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 07:48 AM)
I think bears should pay Alshon, still. May even be blessing in disguise.

I agree with you. This should actually lower his pricetag and I think having him as a safety net for a young QB is an asset worth paying for.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
I think bears should pay Alshon, still. May even be blessing in disguise.

It's not like the roster is filled with guys who are gonna get paid and you might have salary cap issues. You have money to spend, and Alshon is a proven talent, despite his few shortcomings.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
John Feinstein just said on his sport minute that if you are busted for PEDs once it should be a full year suspension and a second failed test should be banishment from the NFL. I really can't stand that guy

With as often as it happens in the NFL, I can't say that I disagree with him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Who is ready for the Bears to sign Tony Romo in the offseason?

I think it's going to happen. He has the EIU connection with Pace. I'd take 2 years of Romo while they develop a young QB. They could still take a young QB high. I think it makes sense because they have another draft and close to $80 million in cap space. A few additions in the secondary and this could be a top 5 unit on defense. They will some win now pieces so starting Romo would be fine. They just need a QB in the pipeline. Some have argued that it's no different than keeping Cutler but I disagree. Romo is better. I've been a Cutler supporter for a long time but it's time for both parties to move on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
If Fox is coach next year I'm going to imagine he pushes for something like that.

Would it be crazy for me to hope that Fox is coach next year just so we can keep Fangio? I think our defense is going to be what brings us back to being competitive one day and I really don't think there is a better guy for that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
I think it's going to happen. He has the EIU connection with Pace. I'd take 2 years of Romo while they develop a young QB. They could still take a young QB high. I think it makes sense because they have another draft and close to $80 million in cap space. A few additions in the secondary and this could be a top 5 unit on defense. They will some win now pieces so starting Romo would be fine. They just need a QB in the pipeline. Some have argued that it's no different than keeping Cutler but I disagree. Romo is better. I've been a Cutler supporter for a long time but it's time for both parties to move on.

Yep. I think we will make a push too and I am absolutely okay with it as long as we bring in that developmental QB. I also am absolutely okay giving up a second and a future pick for a Jimmy G or maybe seeing if the Patriots are interested in getting Brady a receiver like Alshon in a package for Jimmy G. I am skeptical about using a top 5 pick on a QB in this years draft (not sure what is out there) but we clearly have an immediate need to make a change. If we thought Tony was healthy, I'd absolutely make that move (but we can't ignore finding a young QB to develop under him).

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Would it be crazy for me to hope that Fox is coach next year just so we can keep Fangio? I think our defense is going to be what brings us back to being competitive one day and I really don't think there is a better guy for that.

No, I don't think continuity is ever that bad. My main gripe with Fox has been his handling of injuries. His game day stuff I knew would be case, and he promoted from within and this time it burned him. But I still think he has eye for coaching talent. Jim Bob Cooter was on our list for QB coach but went to lions. We could have went Gase -> Cooter and been much better off.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
No, I don't think continuity is ever that bad. My main gripe with Fox has been his handling of injuries. His game day stuff I knew would be case, and he promoted from within and this time it burned him. But I still think he has eye for coaching talent. Jim Bob Cooter was on our list for QB coach but went to lions. We could have went Gase -> Cooter and been much better off.

I'm not at all ready to kick Fox to the curb. I want continuity and Fox has shown he is a more then capable coach with a good eye for talent when it comes to assistants. A lot of games to go but I think we are seeing our defense improve a ton.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Yep. I think we will make a push too and I am absolutely okay with it as long as we bring in that developmental QB. I also am absolutely okay giving up a second and a future pick for a Jimmy G or maybe seeing if the Patriots are interested in getting Brady a receiver like Alshon in a package for Jimmy G. I am skeptical about using a top 5 pick on a QB in this years draft (not sure what is out there) but we clearly have an immediate need to make a change. If we thought Tony was healthy, I'd absolutely make that move (but we can't ignore finding a young QB to develop under him).

Hub ARkush was on yesterday and said that the Patriots asking price for Garoppolo is Two #1's plus other stuff.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
I'm thinking Romo may have a Kurt Warner-esque resurgence with another team. Couple injury plagued years and then one magical injury free year where he is Romo again.

I think we are headed in the direction of having a really good defense. I've seen flashes despite having a lousy secondary (CB's and safety). We still have some needs, but I've also seen a lot out of our younger defensive players.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
That's an insane asking price but I wouldn't be completely shocked if they get in the ballpark of it. I think you'd be nuts to give up anywhere near that for a back up coming out of that system but there are crazy gm's out there.

I guess you forget how awesome Matt Cassel was after he left NE...oh wait

It's gotta be a hard decision, when seeing poor performers like Brock Osweiler hit FA and make paydirt. The right team in right circumstances could pull that trigger if their team is largely established with QB holding them back (jets?).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could see them getting a late first round pick plus a future second round pick. I don't see them getting two first rounders. I don't know if they would get the late second and a future first either, but definitely possible.