2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope everything is alright with Floyd. These injuries are brutal. With all these injuries, especially the fact that 3/5th's of our oline is out and now our top 3 opening day receiving options are all out too (suspension & injuries), it is going to be pretty tough to do much anything offensively. It does mean Meredith and Wilson and other young options (including our young TE) will get some developmental time (not sure I should count Wilson, but I will). Defensively, Its good to know that Floyd is okay, now I just hope the injury isn't serious from the football sense.

I'm finally facing the fact that with all these injuries, we are going to have a hard time winning many more games this year. I give the team credit for battling with the Giants on the road all day though.

I feel like we've been saying this for 3 years now. Football is not fun to watch when you are just following the 4th-5th depth chart guys go against each other. I know Bears aren't along and that's kind of my point. Maybe football isn't being watched because it's hard to get up to watch two teams limping against each other.

Loggains has no idea how to call a consistent offensive game. He just abandons the run game in the second half every f***ing time. Howard gets like 70 to 100 yards in the first half of just about every game he starts and then disappears in the second half.

Although dude needs to work with the jugs machine

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Loggains has no idea how to call a consistent offensive game. He just abandons the run game in the second half every f***ing time. Howard gets like 70 to 100 yards in the first half of just about every game he starts and then disappears in the second half.

Yeah. Bears offense isn't good but being the only team that hasn't had 24 points in a game is not a way to keep your job. Run offense has been a joy, could easily have transitioned to a power running team.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)

They mentioned Howard had an eye injury that could have been impacting his depth perception. Think I saw that in a Haugh piece. Either way, bad use of hands for Howard, who looks like a beast on the field. I do think part of what happened was our entire oline was a wreck and we literally had no one to stretch the field, so it becomes extremely difficult to even run the ball in those circumstances. My stance on who our coach should be long term is changing. If we bring in a veteran QB (say a Romo or even a Jimmy G), then I am okay with Fox.

If we are going to go with a young QB that we draft, I want a new head coach and I say that more because I want to ensure whomever we draft is going to be here for a few years and they will be in the same system and get that continuity that is deserving. If we think Fox is the guy, fine, but that means we can't have a turnstyle of offensive coordinators in the future. And I still think Fox should work out, but Loggains is hard to judge. He grew on me as the season went on, but has clearly lost some momentum, that said, when you actually analyze who is on the offensive roster at this point (especially after Miller's injury), you can see why it would be a struggle to do much offensively.

Why are Bears fans still being delusional about this being a quick rebuild? I seriously can't believe all of the comments from Bears fans about Pace, Fox, etc, we all knew this team was in terrible shape when they took over. It's only year 2 and we've had some good young players show up, definitely still have some holes but one point of sucking is to get better draft picks to fill those holes.

I get that it sucks to lose but damn, this franchise was on a steep slope downwards, it's going to take time to right it and be good again.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Why are Bears fans still being delusional about this being a quick rebuild? I seriously can't believe all of the comments from Bears fans about Pace, Fox, etc, we all knew this team was in terrible shape when they took over. It's only year 2 and we've had some good young players show up, definitely still have some holes but one point of sucking is to get better draft picks to fill those holes.

I get that it sucks to lose but damn, this franchise was on a steep slope downwards, it's going to take time to right it and be good again.

Many are being delusional, I dont think everyone is. I sure am not. This is going to take awhile and next draft is a big deal.

I think many expected to see some development and some execution in their plan. As it stands now, Pace and Fox are divided. They appear to never have been on the same page. So many injuries, the appearance that there is no order in the org, no one on the same page, people pointing fingers and blame passing and when pretty much everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong makes people a bit uneasy.

A rebuild is one thing but when you lay the new foundation and start putting the bricks up again only to see things crumble from the get go is a whole different story.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
I think many expected to see some development and some execution in their plan. As it stands now, Pace and Fox are divided. They appear to never have been on the same page. So many injuries, the appearance that there is no order in the org, no one on the same page, people pointing fingers and blame passing and when pretty much everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong makes people a bit uneasy.

A rebuild is one thing but when you lay the new foundation and start putting the bricks up again only to see things crumble from the get go is a whole different story.

I guess I dont see any of this turmoil. I see a team with very little talent rebuilding through the draft and a few signings. I see a team that needs at least 3 good drafts to be competitive.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)

Technically that appearance is given from the outside...I don't know what Fox & / or Pace have done to contribute to that appearance. I haven't seen us take players and then the other part of the regime through them under the bus or vice versa. I think a lot of the angst, clearly is due to our performance (that said, I actually think the cup is more full then empty now vs. two years ago and we actually have had a fantastic draft this year...assuming Floyd's injury doesn't impact his career) but another piece has to be tied to the fact that the media flat out doesn't like Fox. They don't like his non-answers and how coy he is and they don't like how they shielded and prevented media axis. By and large the Chicago media has been generally anti-Fox every since he shut them down in the first training camp.

Fox isn't perfect and Pace isn't, but right now I've seen enough from Pace that I'm okay letting him run this show. If Pace never wanted Fox and is ready to move on, I give him that chance, because player development wise, outside of the White pick (which who would know he'd get hurt), in general, I like who we have gotten via the draft. Sure, we should have taken a QB, but Howard, Whitehair and Floyd all look like impact players who are coming from this years draft (the first one where him and his entire team were in place...last year we had to leverage the old regime / processes and even then last years draft, outside of our top pick being an injury bust, isn't a bad one (doesn't help that Goldman has the same injury bug).

This years is clearly better then last years though and in FA, I like what we did this off-season. Hicks was a nice piece who should be part of a longer term trend and I didn't see any huge / wasteful moves via FA. This process is going to take time, but I think if we did go the route to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and signed a Romo, we'd find out that we will contend sooner then people expect. If we force the hand and take whomever is best with our 1st pick (whether we believe in that QB or not)...than we shall see, cause if we get a Goff, we could be in much worse shape.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
I guess I dont see any of this turmoil. I see a team with very little talent rebuilding through the draft and a few signings. I see a team that needs at least 3 good drafts to be competitive.

I think we are a good draft and FA away from being a playoff team. This isn't to say that we should be expected to be a playoff team, but I think if we were able to find the right QB, upgrade our CB / Safety, and get continued development out of our young players (plus add a few more good ones), we are a playoff team.

Now the QB comment is the major if. If we instead are going to take a young QB early and start him quickly, then I agree the process will take a bit longer. Three years is just too long (that would be 5 total years of rebuilding and in the NFL, that just isn't acceptable). That said, I agree they inherited a giant mess.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 43m43 minutes ago Leonard Floyd is in the concussion protocol, but no serious neck injury, John Fox said.

This is fantastic news. Concussion is still serious, but far better then any alternative I could have imagined. I presumed he was going to be done from the year. Not that the how it happened was the same, but I had visions of Johnny Knox after Floyd was carted out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
I think we are a good draft and FA away from being a playoff team. This isn't to say that we should be expected to be a playoff team, but I think if we were able to find the right QB, upgrade our CB / Safety, and get continued development out of our young players (plus add a few more good ones), we are a playoff team.

Now the QB comment is the major if. If we instead are going to take a young QB early and start him quickly, then I agree the process will take a bit longer. Three years is just too long (that would be 5 total years of rebuilding and in the NFL, that just isn't acceptable). That said, I agree they inherited a giant mess.

They've GOT to draft the future QB of this franchise soon, if not its going to be a long decade once again. I like what they can build on defense, but offensively we have to draft and develop at the skill positions.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
They've GOT to draft the future QB of this franchise soon, if not its going to be a long decade once again. I like what they can build on defense, but offensively we have to draft and develop at the skill positions.

There you go. Cutler's taken a big enough step back this year that they cannot conceivably say they will be a competitive team for a playoff spot with him next year, and you can't tell me that there's enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to make up for having to run a rookie QB out there a-la Dallas this year. The Bears look like they're going to have to be on the Titans/Jags/Bucs/Rams path next year of spending several years working a QB up, and they don't have the talent around that position to carry the QB spot.