2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
There you go. Cutler's taken a big enough step back this year that they cannot conceivably say they will be a competitive team for a playoff spot with him next year, and you can't tell me that there's enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to make up for having to run a rookie QB out there a-la Dallas this year. The Bears look like they're going to have to be on the Titans/Jags/Bucs/Rams path next year of spending several years working a QB up, and they don't have the talent around that position to carry the QB spot.

The defense is already on the top half of the league despite a ton of injuries. You have some young players emerging and a pass rush that is showing improvement. The defense is much better today than it was when Fangio inherited the mess. Add some more pieces via draft & free agency, plus see internal development from existing guys, and no reason this defense couldn't potentially emerge into a top 10 defense as soon as next year (not saying it will...just that it very much could). That is the type of team that is a "playoff contender" with a solid QB. Hell, Hoyer could even be that guy, but lets say Cousin's wants out of Washington or you go more stop gap and take an old Romo (I presume denver will be after him hard), you most definitely could win with Romo (if he's healthy) all while buying more time for your QB to develop.

My answer to all of this would be different if you had a Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning type QB sitting there and you had the #1 overall selection. That type of slam dunk QB isn't in this draft. Please note, that it doesn't mean a QB as good as them if not better isn't in this draft, it just means that the easy pick isn't there, which means you could be using the pick on a total waste and end up spending 3 years waiting for that player to be good, changing coaches, and then starting all back and over.

I don't know what I'd do and a lot of it depends on what the front office thinks about the various QB's, but if I have a lot of doubt, I'm not taking one with the top 3 picks no matter how big my needs are, I'd trade down, add assets, take a QB who falls with a 2nd round pick (or even 3rd rounder) or two QB's and would make the push for the veteran QB who allows me to buy time (and not put all of my "eggs" in one basket). All of this is fact and circumstance based, but I don't know any talent evaluator who thinks any of this QB's is a consensus #1 overall pick.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
So Jay Cutler may have suffered a season ending shoulder injury. This team will be funny bad the rest of the year.

If that is the case, we aren't winning another game. I say this now, but watch Barkley come in and shock us all. That would mean the game against the Niners would be the game to decide who gets the 2nd overall pick (cause ain't nobody catching those Browns).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
If that is the case, we aren't winning another game. I say this now, but watch Barkley come in and shock us all. That would mean the game against the Niners would be the game to decide who gets the 2nd overall pick (cause ain't nobody catching those Browns).

Having Matt Barkley come in and turn this into a 5 or 6 win team would be the most Bears thing ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Having Matt Barkley come in and turn this into a 5 or 6 win team would be the most Bears thing ever.

I won't lie, if that happens, I'm okay, cause it means Barkley is good or our defense is just incredible. Feel bad for Jay though. What an awful year. Always wished he'd find a way to win with us cause I think the perception around his attitude is all wrong. That said, the perception around his performance is real. He is what he is. Someone will get him and he'll be okay with the right people and everything else, but his time is long gone in Chicago and we all know that. I just hope if we take a QB we take the right one and do it right to maximize the possibility that they excel.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Well, fine. Sure. Would rather be 2-14 than 4-12. I say browns shock the world and we may fight it out.

Look at that schedule...hard to imagine how they would get 2 wins. I can't find 1 win on that schedule. They play the Chargers, Bengals, Giants, Bills, and Steelers. I suppose with the Bengals hurt and the whole rivalry, maybe they could win that, but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope you are right. If Barkley is our QB, the Niners game is still a possibility. I can't see us winning any other game, although you never know I suppose.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Why are Bears fans still being delusional about this being a quick rebuild? I seriously can't believe all of the comments from Bears fans about Pace, Fox, etc, we all knew this team was in terrible shape when they took over. It's only year 2 and we've had some good young players show up, definitely still have some holes but one point of sucking is to get better draft picks to fill those holes.

I get that it sucks to lose but damn, this franchise was on a steep slope downwards, it's going to take time to right it and be good again.

Turnover is so big, fast rebuilds have to happen. Guys get expensive, careers are short, injuries occur . If the Bears are terrible again next year, which is a very real possibility if they have no QB, a few of the building blocks will be heading downward or out of town, and new ones will have to be acquired. I doubt John Fox would have taken the job if they told him they weren't shooting for the playoffs for at least 3 seasons.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Look at that schedule...hard to imagine how they would get 2 wins. I can't find 1 win on that schedule. They play the Chargers, Bengals, Giants, Bills, and Steelers. I suppose with the Bengals hurt and the whole rivalry, maybe they could win that, but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope you are right. If Barkley is our QB, the Niners game is still a possibility. I can't see us winning any other game, although you never know I suppose.

Wow didn't realize Browns were winless. Thought they had won one for some reason.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
I won't lie, if that happens, I'm okay, cause it means Barkley is good or our defense is just incredible. Feel bad for Jay though. What an awful year. Always wished he'd find a way to win with us cause I think the perception around his attitude is all wrong. That said, the perception around his performance is real. He is what he is. Someone will get him and he'll be okay with the right people and everything else, but his time is long gone in Chicago and we all know that. I just hope if we take a QB we take the right one and do it right to maximize the possibility that they excel.

Barkley is awful...I cannot imagine him coming in and doing anything other than making us look far worse...which is what usually occurs when someone other than Jay is quarterbacking.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Barkley is awful...I cannot imagine him coming in and doing anything other than making us look far worse...which is what usually occurs when someone other than Jay is quarterbacking.

Oh I agree, I expect us to be absolutely awful.