White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 1m1 minute ago

Jimmy Rollins gets 2M in majors. No incentives but some award bonuses (100K MVP, 25K gold glove, 15K silver slugger, etc)

Would that mean 2M if he breaks camp in the Majors?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
I feel like it's usually in anyones contact.

Let's hope Latos and Rollins get all of their incentives.

Agree. Would definitely be a fun year if everyone else plays/pitches like they should along with it.

Edited by soxfan2014

Rollins works well with others

Jimmy Rollins has been working on his game through the first two weeks of Spring Training, but he has also done what he could to help younger infielders such as Tyler Saladino and No. 2 prospect Tim Anderson.

"There isn't a competition in that sense," Rollins said. "The future is going to be TA, and my job and even with Tyler, my job is to make sure when they are playing, especially defensively, they are giving themselves the best chance to make that play consistently."

These young players have asked Rollins questions. But when he's viewed some nuance worth changing, Rollins has offered up advice. That situation happened recently with Anderson.

"I didn't want to go out and make a judgement, but I watched him do it 10 times in a row and I'm like, 'Ok, that's just what he does. I could make that better,'" Rollins said. "But he listens. He adapts very well, and it's a matter of him growing to a Major League shortstop."

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/165...pitch-variation

Looks to me like the Rollins signing is already paying off with the youngsters.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
So Rollins is a teaching assistant? :lol:

Sounds like he could be getting setup for a coaching job after this year.

Teaching assistant is kind of an understatement, I was thinking the White Sox scholastic headmaster of infielders. :D

With Rollins accomplishments over his career and the way he carries himself, I think he would be a great addition to the coaching staff. It would not surprise me at all if the Sox bring Rollins aboard after Rollins hangs up his cletes.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Everyone know he's great in the clubhouse.

But can he play SS at at least a ML average level (defense and hitting)?

If not, there's not point in having him here.

Eh there kind of is considering there is no one else that guarantees us that they will play at least ML average level defense and hitting. Unfortunately.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Eh there kind of is considering there is no one else that guarantees us that they will play at least ML average level defense and hitting. Unfortunately.

And that's my fundamental disagreement with the FO, field staff, and most on this board: if the vet can't play at least average (esp a 38 year old), play the young guy if there's one available. An exception might be made if it's your only hole, but it isn't.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)
And that's my fundamental disagreement with the FO, field staff, and most on this board: if the vet can't play at least average (esp a 38 year old), play the young guy if there's one available. An exception might be made if it's your only hole, but it isn't.

If he wins it, it's perfectly fine. He's even fine on the bench. They obviously don't think Sanchez can play short though.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
If he wins it, it's perfectly fine. He's even fine on the bench. They obviously don't think Sanchez can play short though.

That makes no sense. They signed Rollins to a minor league contract w an invite to ST. He should not be in a position to win a roster spot by default. If that is the case, Hahn screwed up.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
That makes no sense. They signed Rollins to a minor league contract w an invite to ST. He should not be in a position to win a roster spot by default. If that is the case, Hahn screwed up.

The 40-man was full. Signing Rollins to a minor league deal is a smart strategy because it prevents you from having to DFA someone before spring training even begins. This puts the Sox in the position to have an additional player in camp and then cut the player who was least impressive once spring training concludes.