Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
lmfao this whole thing is just too much.

People continuing to tweet from all of this is just hilarious, namely manager / high profile players.

All I hope is that we bring in something with the added money.

With the way this has all gone down, I don't think they can add a player right now. If the locker room is really that poisoned, how do you think the team will take the player that replaces LaRoche? Right or wrong, it will be bad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
With the way this has all gone down, I don't think they can add a player right now. If the locker room is really that poisoned, how do you think the team will take the player that replaces LaRoche? Right or wrong, it will be bad.

At this point, ishikawa has a great shot of being his replacement

QUOTE (heirdog @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Borrowing from Occam's Razor where the simplest explanation is likely the most plausible, here is what probably happened:

Rick Hahn, the smartest man in the room, decided he would kill 2 birds with one stone. He set up Kenny to fall on the sword by playing on his emotions about players thinking he is weak. He also wanted LaRoche out of here and knew the only thing to send him packing would be the son angle. So Rick decided to go to Kenny and float "no player will say it but they don't like having Drake around" and "they wish you, Kenny, would step in but he don't think you have the guts to". Knowing Kenny would create a maelstrom and personalize the issue to himself...which now he can't revert back from, Rick will soon have full GM power and $13 million to spend on a championship roster.

that is it, blame everything on rick hahn. he manipulated everyone here. he has this evil way of hypothesizing everyone.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:02 PM)
Robin's comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I think it's worse. I think he was tired of baseball, he was hurting, he was coming off a bad year, and this was the tipping point. People will remember that he retired because they asked him to bring his kid around less but it was more likely a bunch of factors, most involving him no longer being good at baseball.

I agree with you and if this is true it is worse.

He brings the entire team down and creates a major disruption simply because his abilities have deteriorated; SELFISH!!

We are much better without him, that should be the main takeaway.

Celebrate his departure.

QUOTE (59th street @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
I agree with you and if this is true it is worse.

He brings the entire team down and creates a major disruption simply because his abilities have deteriorated; SELFISH!!

We are much better without him, that should be the main takeaway.

Celebrate his departure.

During his time here nothing about Adam Laroche screamed attention whore and con artist.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
During his time here nothing about Adam Laroche screamed attention whore and con artist.

That is true but he was only here for one season and he was terrible the entire year, pretty easy to "keep your head down" during that kind of performance.

I believe his action this spring is much more reflective of who he really is.

I am thrilled he is gone.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Then this "genius" move of getting rid of LaRoche to save the 13 million was for nothing. It's only a good move if they use the savings to upgrade the club.

Just because they don't add someone right away doesn't mean they can't use the $13 million later. I hope they take on Ethier's full salary for 2016 and get Dodgers to pay most next year.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
Just because they don't add someone right away doesn't mean they can't use the $13 million later.

yeah pad the bank in the owners acct.

i will maintain that the sox will not add anyone, and even then maybe until the trading deadline.

QUOTE (59th street @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
That is true but he was only here for one season and he was terrible the entire year, pretty easy to "keep your head down" during that kind of performance.

I believe his action this spring is much more reflective of who he really is.

I think that LaRoche is a decent guy, but his quitting over something as trivial as clubhouse access for children and the sniping from his "company's" Twitter account lead me to believe that he's not too far removed from the typical pro athlete numbskullery.

Well after still hearing about this i am thinking laroche was thinking about retiring already and this made it easier for him to do.

KW is not going to name players or coaches that had a problem with it , and he has no problem being the bad guy.

I also get the feeling players walk all over robin and he is a yes man for them.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Well after still hearing about this i am thinking laroche was thinking about retiring already and this made it easier for him to do.

KW is not going to name players or coaches that had a problem with it , and he has no problem being the bad guy.

I also get the feeling players walk all over robin and he is a yes man for them.

the first 2 i totally agree.

on the second one, why does kw need to say anything, he answer to the chairman and owners not some pampered spoil immature children.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
I have a feeling he would thank his fans during his career while not plugging his meat company in his farewell letter.

Well, that and because he never once mentioned his son battling an illness during his first year with the Sox and that would have been an understandable excuse in my book. He went out, tried to do his job while getting left out to dry by Ozzie, got booed and came back the next year with an All-Star season.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Well, that and because he never once mentioned his son battling an illness during his first year with the Sox and that would have been an understandable excuse in my book. He went out, tried to do his job while getting left out to dry by Ozzie, got booed and came back the next year with an All-Star season.

A lot of people can't separate what a guy does on the field, with what he does off of the field. While his years in Chicago were a bust on the field, Adam Dunn was an all-star off of it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)

that right there is why there is a huge gap in what is called class over the other one.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)

I didn't know that Dunn's son was ill during that first year. That explains a lot.

LaRoche's full statement. Extremely classy, imo.

Given the suddenness of my departure and the stir it has caused in both the media and the clubhouse, I feel it’s necessary to provide my perspective.

Over the last five years, with both the Nationals and the White Sox, I have been given the opportunity to have my son with me in the clubhouse. It is a privilege I have greatly valued. I have never taken it for granted, and I feel an enormous amount of gratitude toward both of those organizations.

Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, that problem never developed. I’m not going to speak about my son Drake’s behavior, his manners, and the quality of person that he is, because everyone knows that I am biased. All of the statements from my teammates, past and present, should say enough. Those comments from all of the people who have interacted with Drake are a testimony to how he carries himself.

Promoted stories from SportsChatter.com

Celebrities and their national championship picks

Twitter couldn’t stop laughing at Sean Miller’s sweat-soaked shirt

The jokes are flying before the Duke vs. Yale game

Prior to signing with the White Sox, my first question to the club concerned my son’s ability to be a part of the team. After some due diligence on the club’s part, we reached an agreement. The 2015 season presented no problems as far as Drake was concerned. (My bat and our record are another story!)

With all of this in mind, we move toward the current situation which arose after White Sox VP Ken Williams recently advised me to significantly scale back the time that my son spent in the clubhouse. Later, I was told not to bring him to the ballpark at all. Obviously, I expressed my displeasure toward this decision to alter the agreement we had reached before I signed with the White Sox. Upon doing so, I had to make a decision. Do I choose my teammates and my career? Or do I choose my family? The decision was easy, but in no way was it a reflection of how I feel about my teammates, manager, general manager or the club’s owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

The White Sox organization is full of people with strong values and solid character. My decision to walk away was simply the result of a fundamental disagreement between myself and Ken Williams.

I understand that many people will not understand my decision. I respect that, and all I ask is for that same level of respect in return. I live by certain values that are rooted in my faith, and I am grateful to my parents for that. I have tried to set a good example on and off the field and live a life that represents these values. As fathers, we have an opportunity to help mold our kids into men and women of character, with morals and values that can’t be shaken by the world around them. Of one thing I am certain: we will regret NOT spending enough time with our kids, not the other way around.

At every level of my career, the game of baseball has reinforced the importance of family to me. Being at my father’s side when he coached. Playing alongside my brothers as a kid and as an adult in the big leagues.

Likewise, it has been great to have my son by my side to share in this experience as I played.

In each and every instance, baseball has given me some of my life’s greatest memories. This was likely to be the last year of my career, and there’s no way I was going to spend it without my son.

Baseball has taught me countless life lessons. I’ve learned how to face challenges, how to overcome failure, how to maintain humility, and most importantly, to trust that the Lord is in control and that I was put here to do more than play the game of baseball. We are called to live life with an unwavering love for God and love for each other. These are lessons I try to teach my kids every day. I truly am blessed to have been granted each of those experiences.

Thank you to all of my previous managers, past teammates and friends across the league for making these past 12 years such a wonderful journey, and for providing me with memories that I will never forget--especially the ones with my son by my side.

I will leave you with the same advice that I left my teammates. In life, we’re all faced with difficult decisions and will have a choice to make. Do we act based on the consequences, or do we act on what we know and believe in our hearts to be right? I choose the latter.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
I think anyone who supported LaRoche is going to be gone, whether before OD, around the TDL or this offseason. Sale and Eaton especially. :angry: IMO this will start the scorched earth rebuild. 2016 is a failure before it even started IMO. They are going to quit on the management, and it would not surprise me if Sale sticks it to the Sox by complaining of either Injury or just jakes the season. I think the Sox know that and it would not surprise me if Sale is NOT the OD starter, and instead is elsewhere on 4/4.

Ugh. Where do you people get this? These types of posts are just embarassing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Ugh. Where do you people get this? These types of posts are just embarassing.

I was just venting. I know that it was a poor post. Funny looking back at it. Not happy about the s***storm that this has become, a little worried about the team after this . If anyone can make fathom look like an optimist it is me. :bang:

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
I was just venting. I know that it was a poor post. Funny looking back at it. Not happy about the s***storm that this has become, a little worried about the team after this . If anyone can make fathom look like an optimist it is me. :bang:

Haha, fair enough.

Soooo basically Kenny said his kid could come in the clubhouse then laroche decided to act like an asshole and abuse the privilege then Kenny asked him to tone it down then laroche decided to continue to abuse the privilege and then retire when he couldn't have his way. See ya, don't let the doorknob penetrate your anus on the way out