Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
And as was missing from his letter, LaRoche didn't adhere to the wishes like he said he would.

Exactly, Laroche is a liar who omitted certain parts of reality that didn't fit his narrative. If it's true that Kenny asked him last week to dial it back, and then Kenny saw zero change over the next 4 days, and then finally he saw the kid on the mound during team drills almost a week later, I'm not surprised he blew up and took the access away. I'd do the same thing as a VP to an employee who was being defiantly subordinate. If Laroche didn't respect the wishes of the team's VP, and basically ignored him, then screw him. And again, if true, then screw him twice for omitting that from the letter his agent--err, I mean he, wrote himself.

Kenny is not clean in this by any stretch, and he clumsily handled it from the start, no doubt. And I am fine with KW either re-signing or being fired, whatever. However, Laroche is far from squeaky in this, and I've had about enough of him taking the "high road" while leaking out negative tweets about the Sox through his friggin meat company. I'm a White Sox fan first, not a Laroche fan. Good riddance if he can't be honest about what happened. I hope we ultimately find out the truth; maybe JR can put things in order shortly.

If Nightengale's piece is accurate and multiple people with and around the team complained about the kid's constant presence dating back to last season, then Sale and Eaton--especially Sale-- look like idiots who don't have a clue about their own clubhouse. That might be a bigger issue than anything in the long run.

So, do you suppose we'll ever have true transparency on this saga? Will we ever really know the timeline of events? At this point it's all so muddled and f***ed with nothing but contradictory media reports and innuendo to go on that it feels like we may never know exactly what happened here. We can guess to the best of our ability, connect the dots and put together a decent picture of this descent into madness but I fell like we may never know what truly transpired. I suppose the next shoe to drop is Jerry addressing the team and the subsequent media appearances, should be interesting.

Adam La Roche appears to not be very bright. One would think that he would have realized that he put his teammates in an awkward position.

In this politically correct age, what guy is going to openly complain about such a well behaved, likable kid's presence in the club house and on the field?

For La Roche to volunteer to not bring his son, if players objected, is a rather hollow promise, knowing that most guys would not want to openly object, even it they didn't appreciate it.

The other obvious issue that should have entered his mind is that other players might have felt that they too should have the same privilege. Again, he just doesn't seem to be very bright. It's just common sense, which he apparently lacks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
A lot of people can't separate what a guy does on the field, with what he does off of the field. While his years in Chicago were a bust on the field, Adam Dunn was an all-star off of it.

Completely meaningless to a results-oriented fan base.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
Adam La Roche appears to not be very bright. One would think that he would have realized that he put his teammates in an awkward position.

In this politically correct age, what guy is going to openly complain about such a well behaved, likable kid's presence in the club house and on the field?

For La Roche to volunteer to not bring his son, if players objected, is a rather hollow promise, knowing that most guys would not want to openly object, even it they didn't appreciate it.

The other obvious issue that should have entered his mind is that other players might have felt that they too should have the same privilege. Again, he just doesn't seem to be very bright. It's just common sense, which he apparently lacks.

I think they made a mistake in signing LaRoche we thought we were getting some left hand power that could hit for power but what we got was a player who refuses to compromise with Kenny's reasonable request to limit the time his kid spends with the team.100% is too much. His kid needs to be in school.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
Exactly, Laroche is a liar who omitted certain parts of reality that didn't fit his narrative. If it's true that Kenny asked him last week to dial it back, and then Kenny saw zero change over the next 4 days, and then finally he saw the kid on the mound during team drills almost a week later, I'm not surprised he blew up and took the access away. I'd do the same thing as a VP to an employee who was being defiantly subordinate. If Laroche didn't respect the wishes of the team's VP, and basically ignored him, then screw him. And again, if true, then screw him twice for omitting that from the letter his agent--err, I mean he, wrote himself.

Kenny is not clean in this by any stretch, and he clumsily handled it from the start, no doubt. And I am fine with KW either re-signing or being fired, whatever. However, Laroche is far from squeaky in this, and I've had about enough of him taking the "high road" while leaking out negative tweets about the Sox through his friggin meat company. I'm a White Sox fan first, not a Laroche fan. Good riddance if he can't be honest about what happened. I hope we ultimately find out the truth; maybe JR can put things in order shortly.

If Nightengale's piece is accurate and multiple people with and around the team complained about the kid's constant presence dating back to last season, then Sale and Eaton--especially Sale-- look like idiots who don't have a clue about their own clubhouse. That might be a bigger issue than anything in the long run.

I hope you don't mean you would hire someone with an agreement to allow their kid to be around ALL THE TIME and then say screw you in year 2 and change it. That is some real shady s*** that KW is doing. Oh wait and then LIE/tell your management team that the problem was the employees and then tell the employees it was management and then tell everyone it was the owner.

KW has lied and broken contractual agreements all this week, I can't wait to see what he does next (probably trade Sale for a bag of peanuts LITERALLY!!!!)

Edited by Condor13

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
I hope you don't mean you would hire someone with an agreement to allow their kid to be around ALL THE TIME and then say screw you in year 2 and change it. That is some real shady s*** that KW is doing. Oh wait and then LIE/tell your management team that the problem was the employees and then tell the employees it was management and then tell everyone it was the owner.

KW has lied and broken contractual agreements all this week, I can't wait to see what he does next (probably trade Sale for a bag of peanuts LITERALLY!!!!)

Wasn't it Hahn that negotiated the contract?

Why did Hahn, the master negotiator, include such a vague and ambiguous clause that any labor relations expert could easily predict problems eventually resulting from...?

He's the one with the MBA and Harvard Law degree, shouldn't he have known better than to set that kind of precedent for one player's son?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:39 PM)

Why did Hahn, the master negotiator, include such a vague and ambiguous clause that any labor relations expert could easily predict problems eventually resulting from...?

He's the one with the MBA and Harvard Law degree, shouldn't he have known better than to set that kind of precedent for one player's son?

That's another problem with KW no one know who is the real GM, I would say it's KW and his ego.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
This got out of hand. Our most valuable asset lost his s*** because a 14 year old can't prance around the clubhouse. WTF. Adam LaRoche sucks. Why is everyone defending him?

That is not why he was vocal today. It was bc KW LIED to the team and has told numerous stories and now noone knows the truth.

Enjoy reading how Sale allegedly screamed at Kenny in the clubhouse during the meeting about Adam's kid. Folks, I'll just say what appears to be the case from afar. Kenny Williams quite possibly is an egomaniac who thinks he is a great executive cause he led the Sox to a WS and he must think of himself as a former big league player, which he barely was. I'm glad Sale lit into a guy who again, APPEARS to be quite a cocky person.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
That is not why he was vocal today. It was bc KW LIED to the team and has told numerous stories and now noone knows the truth.

That is Sale's version/perception tho, and I understand he was vocal because he feels they were lied to. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but either way it should not be stated as fact when it's unverified. Sale is the only one I've heard talk about different stories to different parties, right?

I think Kenny was falling on the grenade for the team. If robin would have said something there would have been mutiny and lost the locker room. If player said something then you have all the other players looking down on him. Other coaches then you are to lose players trust. Hahn which if did make agreement on kid then would lose respect for signing future players. If Kenny was acting alone and rogue then I'm sure Laroche could've gone to Jerry to settle things unless Jerry is to loyal which can't image that would totally ruin the organizations look for letting a rogue employee go off. Jerry met with Laroche and yet he still retired so Jerry must of known fully what was going on and agreed. It's faults on both parties for letting thinks go like this.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)

In the last Nightingale article he mentioned the Sox did, he mentioned they did vet this out.

I'll be honest in regards to Hahn though...the guy is an outstanding negotiator...but I'm really not sure what else he is so skilled at.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Logic tells me what we thought all along that Williams was simply falling on the sword for a number of people in the organization that didn't have the stones to make a fuss. However, the Sox clearly are not capable of pulling off something like with any sort of grace. It was totally botched.

There are 29 other teams that would be happy to have you.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
That is Sale's version/perception tho, and I understand he was vocal because he feels they were lied to. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but either way it should not be stated as fact when it's unverified. Sale is the only one I've heard talk about different stories to different parties, right?

I can see that. But right now the only facts that are known is that LaRoche retired bc KW told him to limit the amount of time that his kid was there. Other then that nothing is fact.

Based on LaRoche's statement I would retire as well. Regardless of a contract or not everyone knew the deal with his son. He knew it was his last year and didn't want to play it without his son by his side. So he chose to retire I would too. Now all the other crap is still in question right now though.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
I think Kenny was falling on the grenade for the team. If robin would have said something there would have been mutiny and lost the locker room. If player said something then you have all the other players looking down on him. Other coaches then you are to lose players trust. Hahn which if did make agreement on kid then would lose respect for signing future players. If Kenny was acting alone and rogue then I'm sure Laroche could've gone to Jerry to settle things unless Jerry is to loyal which can't image that would totally ruin the organizations look for letting a rogue employee go off. Jerry met with Laroche and yet he still retired so Jerry must of known fully what was going on and agreed. It's faults on both parties for letting thinks go like this.

This is a key point that is getting no air, especially from the KW haters. JR has already talked with Laroche, and yet Laroche still retired. To me that sounds like JR is backing the org on this, and was aware from the beginning that KW was going to at least restrict the kid's access, and appears to have agreed it was necessary for a team that has consistently underachieved for the last several seasons. The next 2 or 3 days is going to provide some transparency I believe/hope/pray, once JR takes charge and sorts this batch of idiots out. I just can't buy that KW would go rogue and do this solo, which means JR knew about it and agreed otherwise he would have told KW NO.

He told a lie because he isn't ncessarily a part of the team dynamic and took the blame rather than guys on the team or Robin. If you can't see that, you're as clueless - or likely more clueless, than Sale.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
I can see that. But right now the only facts that are known is that LaRoche retired bc KW told him to limit the amount of time that his kid was there. Other then that nothing is fact.

Based on LaRoche's statement I would retire as well. Regardless of a contract or not everyone knew the deal with his son. He knew it was his last year and didn't want to play it without his son by his side. So he chose to retire I would too. Now all the other crap is still in question right now though.

I hear you, but that seems like a pretty thin reason to quit your profession. I mean, JR spoke with Laroche already, and he's still retiring, so I have to assume that JR is backing the org/Kenny. Otherwise you'd think they could've worked it all out as a misunderstanding. Reinsdorf knew and agreed, that's a hard point to ignore imo. It shows he thinks his guy was ultimately in the right.

Watch JR fire his ass tomorrow and throw this thing back in the spin cycle.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
He told a lie because he isn't ncessarily a part of the team dynamic and took the blame rather than guys on the team or Robin. If you can't see that, you're as clueless - or likely more clueless, than Sale.

If you feel the need to insult people because you don't agree with their OPINION, do it somewhere else. It might temporarily make you feel better but it's not a good look.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
If you feel the need to insult people because you don't agree with their OPINION, do it somewhere else. It might temporarily make you feel better but it's not a good look.

Haha whatever. The admins can suspend me if they don't like it. The lack of logic around here the past few days is amazing.

Edited by ChiSox59

KW asked Adam several times to keep Drake off the field during drills as the org would be liable for any injury that occurred

to his boy. Adam flat out refused time and again to a belligerent degree. That is what set off Kenny and he wasn't the only one that was concerned. Ironically Kenny was more concerned about Drake's safety than Mr. #FamilyFirst. That's what some need to know about LaRoche's behavior.