Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Are the White Sox on the hook for any amount of LaRoche's salary this year? Someone I know is trying to tell me the contracts are guaranteed and that they owe him his salary this year.

No, he quit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
Only if he un-retires. There may be a small portion of it that they'd have to pay to cover the time he was present in ST, not sure exactly how those are structured, whether there is money included for ST or just for the 162 game season.

While retired he receives no payment for the time he's gone. Were he to un-retire the White Sox would be on the hook for that deal again and he would be required to show up and meet his part of the contract - should he try to unretire while not showing up or something like that the White Sox could fine him for his absences and failure to meet his contract.

Are you saying that if he changes his mind next month, then his contract is still valid?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
Here's the Eaton interview if you want to hear it. The Dirk Hayhurst interview is there too, even though I think he makes stuff up.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/670-the-score-interviews/

Just listened to the Eaton interview. Thought the following two quotes were interesting (as accurate as I can recall them):

- with regards to the report that sox players went to KW with complaints "....they (mgmt) are going to throw that out there and see if it sticks"

- "we'll see how JR wants to handle his front office"

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Just listened to the Eaton interview. Thought the following two quotes were interesting (as accurate as I can recall them):

- with regards to the report that sox players went to KW with complaints "....they (mgmt) are going to throw that out there and see if it sticks"

I just think the upper management is going to try and cover for KW as much as they can. I guess I understand that and I am sure they never expected the reaction from Laroche and the team that they got. I think Williams and others had a knee jerk reaction and it backfired on them. I go back to Adam's letter and all he really says is he is "stepping back." Can he be convinced to step back in with the team, or does anyone eve want to try to make this happen? The Sox gain $13M and may have internal options for the DH role. There is so much fire going on here now that something must be done by KW and Reinsdorf to calm the team, especially the vocal leaders, so this doesn't affect the 2016 pennant race. But, will management make that effort? I kind of think Williams is to rigid in his stance of being the big shot and being in control and so I doubt anything will happen other than a lot more of what we have heard already.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)

These guys have some nerve.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
These guys have some nerve.

Truly believe they think KW will get fired. Another thing that amazed me from the Eaton interview was when he was saying how Drake has more "playoff experience" than a lot of them.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Truly believe they think KW will get fired

Doesn't matter. It's not for them to make these types of statements publicly, especially after your owner has asked you not to speak on the subject.

These are the types of things that get you traded by an old stubborn businessman, not things that get the GM fired.

I have a difficult believing KW just decided out of the clear blue to scale back Drake's presence in the club house and on the field without something being said to him first.

Eaton is one to talk about KW " throwing it out there". He's been throwing plenty of stuff "out there" on Twitter. He's parading Twitter like a politician trolling for votes.

Good to see Eaton and his big mouth are so focused on the upcoming season.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I have a difficult believing KW just decided out of the clear blue to scale back Drake's presence in the club house and on the field without something being said to him first.

Eaton is one to talk about KW " throwing it out there". He's been throwing plenty of stuff "out there" on Twitter. He's parading Twitter like a politician trolling for votes.

Good to see Eaton and his big mouth are so focused on the upcoming season.

Adam Eaton said that Drake LaRoche was a leader. It's absolutely absurd.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Doesn't matter. It's not for them to make these types of statements publicly, especially after your owner has asked you not to speak on the subject.

These are the types of things that get you traded by an old stubborn businessman, not things that get the GM fired.

Eaton is a really good player. I wouldn't surprised if he doesn't have much of a future with the White Sox though.

Another point is I'm sure Kenny wants to continue to improve on his career and go up. I can't believe he would go rogue and start trouble if it meant him getting fired and loosing credibility to further his career. Again if he was acting alone then the sit down with Jerry and Laroche should have cleared the misunderstanding. LaRoche still retired. Both have faults for the way things were handled.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Adam Eaton said that Drake LaRoche was a leader. It's absolutely absurd.

Agreed. Eaton is going overboard with the LaRoche drama and needs to STFU already. His whiny temper tantrum last season was irritating enough but this far and beyond that.

If he keeps it up, I hope the Sox fine his ass for continuing to speak publically on a clubhouse issue after the chairman ( his boss ) asked everyone to keep quiet.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Are you saying that if he changes his mind next month, then his contract is still valid?

If he changes his mind during this season he would still be under contract with the White Sox.

Here's my take.

First, the Nightengale story -- which indicates the paper talked with players and perhaps coaches who said they had an issue with Drake's non-stop presence -- indicates that KW wasn't making it up about there being an issue within the clubhouse about this. That suggests that Eaton's and Sale's complaints notwithstanding, that the Sox brass was responding to its players.

Second, the "promise" to LaRoche to allow his kid with the team was certainly kept for 2015. But since it wasn't in his contract, and since both his performance was horrible and players and perhaps coaches complained to management about the situation, then management was perfectly within its rights to ask LaRoche to "dial it back." Indeed, what would it have said about Sox management if they ignored the complaints and put the wishes of arguably the WORST player on the team last year ahead of their concerns? Seems to me like the Sox made a reasonable request for LaRoche to amend his position. The fact he didn't take it was HIS CHOICE. Sox didn't ask him to, or force him to resign.

So, on both of these scores, it seems to me the Sox were well within their rights, and really had no choice but to ask LaRoche to accommodate his arrangement to mesh with his current teammates and coaches. LaRoche was also free to quit, which he did. There really aren't any villains if you look at it that way.

Where things went bad was during the clubhouse meeting. At this point, certain hotheads on the team decided to get their noses out of joint over KW asking LaRoche to "dial it back." To me, these hotheads are the ONLY people who caused this issue to blow up the way it did. (KW did also blow up at one point after LaRoche completely ignored his request, but this was not unlike any company manager getting pissed when his employees openly flout one of his requests.)

Did they think KW was lying to them about some players and/or coaches coming to KW to say they had a problem? If so, then how did Nightengale's newspaper receive the exact same info from these players, who have to speak annonymously?

And, are they so out of touch with their teammates that they claim the team was 100% united behind LaRoche when it is obvious from the above that they weren't? (Not to make this a racial issue, but it's quite interesting that we've heard from a lot of the white players, but almost nothing from any of the Latin players.)

Moreover, do you really want to go to the mat against the wishes of your colleagues over the presence of a 14-year-old kid in the clubhouse, who has nothing to do with your job, or the success of the team? Isn't this completely disrespectful of your teammates?

Sale, Eaton, et al are defending an absurd requirement that Adam LaRoche chose to lay down for his continued presence on a baseball team, when if he looked in the mirror and at his own performance, he should have realized that he couldn't meet even replacement level standards of play any more and should retire out of dignity and respect for his team.

The idea that KW should "resign" from the Sox over this is utterly absurd. Seems to me that Sox management have been the ONLY ones in this saga who put the interests of the team first.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
Seriously? That is absurd.

A player can't just retire temporarily to clear a contract out, guys could do something like that in order to get to free agency. That contract would still be in force if he were to un-retire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
A player can't just retire temporarily to clear a contract out, guys could do something like that in order to get to free agency. That contract would still be in force if he were to un-retire.

Well yeah, but at the same time, if a team moves on and spends that money, they shouldn't be on the hook for the original contract.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Well yeah, but at the same time, if a team moves on and spends that money, they shouldn't be on the hook for the original contract.

If they want to spend it then they better be sure he won't come back.