The Jeff Samardzija Thread

Dunt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
If we play our cards right, that pick at #26 could be huge to the future of the organization. We will now have $5.5 million to spend in the first 26 picks of the draft.

I appreciate your glass being half full and envy your optimism, Southsider. And, yes, we will have approx. $5.5 Large available, as you stated. But, are you trying to put a positive spin on the Michael Ynoa Trade?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
I appreciate your glass being half full and envy your optimism, Southsider. And, yes, we will have approx. $5.5 Large available, as you stated. But, are you trying to put a positive spin on the Michael Ynoa Trade?

It was the right move, even if it didn't work out. The players we gave up are low ceiling guys, and we got the best player in the deal. Heck, we pretty much made the same deal again to get Todd Frazier, and again it was a good deal.

What I am saying is the extra draft pick could be huge for a team that need more young and cost controlled talent in this system. Remember Spencer Adams that has set the world on fire was drafted at #44. this is 18 spots ahead of that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
It was the right move, even if it didn't work out. The players we gave up are low ceiling guys, and we got the best player in the deal. Heck, we pretty much made the same deal again to get Todd Frazier, and again it was a good deal.

What I am saying is the extra draft pick could be huge for a team that need more young and cost controlled talent in this system. Remember Spencer Adams that has set the world on fire was drafted at #44. this is 18 spots ahead of that.

Not sure the Frazier trade is a valid comparison. Frazier filled a gaping hole on the White Sox. A Gaping hole at third base. That trade makes sense. Samardzjia, not so much.

I call it the Michael Ynoa Trade, because a day or so after the trade Hahn was interviewed, he actually said that he held out for the inclusion of Ynoa. I had to laugh when I heard that, as if he out-negotiated whatshisname at Oakland. Billy just had to clear a roster spot. We gave up a lot more for Shark than we did for Frazier, who is a much better player.

Regarding Spencer Adams at # 44 two years ago -- good draft pick, obviously. Lets hope we do as well with #26. Not that we have ever screwed up any high picks in last ten years. But we should get a great prospect with the pick, maybe somebody as promising as Bassitt.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
Not sure the Frazier trade is a valid comparison. Frazier filled a gaping hole on the White Sox. A Gaping hole at third base. That trade makes sense. Samardzjia, not so much.

I call it the Michael Ynoa Trade, because a day or so after the trade Hahn was interviewed, and he actually said that he held out for the inclusion of Ynoa. I had to laugh when I heard that, as if he out-negotiated whatshisname at Oakland. Billy just had to clear a roster spot. We gave up a lot more for Shark than we did for Frazier, who is a much better player.

Regarding Spencer Adams at # 44 two years ago -- good draft pick, obviously. Lets hope we do as well with #26. Not that we have ever screwed up any high picks in last ten years. But we should get a great prospect with the pick, maybe somebody as promising as Bassitt.

Bassitt isn't that good. He'll go the way of David Holmberg, Dan Hudson, Clayton Richards, Fautino De Los Santos, Aaron Poreda, and all of the "mistakes" we have made trading away pitchers.

And all you need to do is look at the of our rotation to know that we need a pitcher back there. Samardjiza flopping just showed how important that spot was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
Bassitt isn't that good. He'll go the way of David Holmberg, Dan Hudson, Clayton Richards, Fautino De Los Santos, Aaron Poreda, and all of the "mistakes" we have made trading away pitchers.

And all you need to do is look at the of our rotation to know that we need a pitcher back there. Samardjiza flopping just showed how important that spot was.

Dan Hudson was a good pitcher who got hurt. Clayton Richards, while not great, is a serviceable arm, and has won 50 games in his career with a career ERA of 4.30, including two seasons where he pitched over 200 innings with an ERA under 4 (albeit in San Diego). Poreda wasn't a top prospect when we dealt him and Holmberg & Santos (injury) were young and still quite a ways from the majors so you figure busts will happen. Gio Gonzalez should probably be included on this list (from the 2nd time he was traded) as he was the best pitcher we ever gave up and we were completely robbed when we gave him up for Nick Swisher.

Holmberg and other should not get lumped in with Bassitt, who in 25 major league starts has a career ERA of 3.79. This included 18 games (13 starts last year) where he gave up less hits than innings pitched and had a very respectable WHIP of 1.25 while striking out just over 6 guys per nine innings. He has good velocity (getting into the mid 90's) and has a pretty dominant curve ball and is a better pitcher today than two pitchers in the White Sox rotation (John Danks & Matt Latos). Bassit will not be an ace, but he will be a solid cost-controlled middle of the rotation starter and that is a very valuable commodity.

All this said, Sox have done a good job developing this cost-controlled middle to back of the rotation guys.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
Dan Hudson was a good pitcher who got hurt. Clayton Richards, while not great, is a serviceable arm, and has won 50 games in his career with a career ERA of 4.30, including two seasons where he pitched over 200 innings with an ERA under 4 (albeit in San Diego). Poreda wasn't a top prospect when we dealt him and Holmberg & Santos (injury) were young and still quite a ways from the majors so you figure busts will happen. Gio Gonzalez should probably be included on this list (from the 2nd time he was traded) as he was the best pitcher we ever gave up and we were completely robbed when we gave him up for Nick Swisher.

Holmberg and other should not get lumped in with Bassitt, who in 25 major league starts has a career ERA of 3.79. This included 18 games (13 starts last year) where he gave up less hits than innings pitched and had a very respectable WHIP of 1.25 while striking out just over 6 guys per nine innings. He has good velocity (getting into the mid 90's) and has a pretty dominant curve ball and is a better pitcher today than two pitchers in the White Sox rotation (John Danks & Matt Latos). Bassit will not be an ace, but he will be a solid cost-controlled middle of the rotation starter and that is a very valuable commodity.

All this said, Sox have done a good job developing this cost-controlled middle to back of the rotation guys.

Gio was the one guy we clearly lost on, but Bassitt has no where near that ceiling. Pitching in Oakland will go a long way towards making his numbers look a lot better than they really are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Gio was the one guy we clearly lost on, but Bassitt has no where near that ceiling. Pitching in Oakland will go a long way towards making his numbers look a lot better than they really are.

So you're saying it's generally a bad idea to trade for people who are pitching in Oakland? (calmly walks away)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
So you're saying it's generally a bad idea to trade for people who are pitching in Oakland? (calmly walks away)

Yes, because he hadn't put up a 2.83 ERA in 17 starts that same season pitching for the Cubs. Reality is he was never as good as that split season with the A's / Cubs, nor was he as bad as he was for the Sox last year (I don't think). He's more likely going to be a ~4ERA 200+ inning guy and I think given that production, he's relatively fairly paid.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Yes, because he hadn't put up a 2.83 ERA in 17 starts that same season pitching for the Cubs. Reality is he was never as good as that split season with the A's / Cubs, nor was he as bad as he was for the Sox last year (I don't think). He's more likely going to be a ~4ERA 200+ inning guy and I think given that production, he's relatively fairly paid.

Yeah, we didn't just an an Oakland sample size to go off of here.

• 3 weeks later...

Bassit is a back of the rotation guy. His absence "hurts" is because we're auditioning a few guys for 5th starter likely worse than he is. (and because we went a long time with Danks and Noesi). But, not he's not great talent.

This all in stuff for a "star" is generally a poor and losing approach and the net return for the Sox on those trades is atrocious (and yet the Sox keep making them).

Gio was the only really good pitcher. Hudson was really good, but got hurt. The next may be Chris Deveniski (sent packing in yet another poorly conceived Williams trade).

And the plus side is of the Shark trade is that we have ceiling on our side. Although the odds are slim, we could hit it big with this draft choice.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
After watching Bassitt throw 96 last night, I'm even saltier about that trade. Sounded great at the time though.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 1, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
chris bassitt probably needs tommy John

Still salty chw? ;)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)
Bassit is a back of the rotation guy. His absence "hurts" is because we're auditioning a few guys for 5th starter likely worse than he is. (and because we went a long time with Danks and Noesi). But, not he's not great talent.

This all in stuff for a "star" is generally a poor and losing approach and the net return for the Sox on those trades is atrocious (and yet the Sox keep making them).

Gio was the only really good pitcher. Hudson was really good, but got hurt. The next may be Chris Deveniski (sent packing in yet another poorly conceived Williams trade).

And the plus side is of the Shark trade is that we have ceiling on our side. Although the odds are slim, we could hit it big with this draft choice.

Speaking of poorly conceived trades, your trading Adam Eaton for prospects because he wasn't as good as his numbers and doesn't have the arm for RF will go down as an all time worst.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 3, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)

Bassitt is a moot point so you can stop crying about him now

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2016 -> 06:21 AM)
Speaking of poorly conceived trades, your trading Adam Eaton for prospects because he wasn't as good as his numbers and doesn't have the arm for RF will go down as an all time worst.

Yes and that's the kind of trade I support and I have consistently supported. Young player for young player....not for a declining vet or a a rent of a career year. Of course I take the good with the bad. You're still whining about losing Addison Reed, which was same philosophy as the Eaton trade.

Myers was a decling veteran who wasn't anything special in Houston.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 4, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Yes and that's the kind of trade I support and I have consistently supported. Young player for young player....not for a declining vet or a a rent of a career year. Of course I take the good with the bad. You're still whining about losing Addison Reed, which was same philosophy as the Eaton trade.

Myers was a decling veteran who wasn't anything special in Houston.

What does Myers have to do with Reed? I didn't like the Myers move because he is a wife beater.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff is having a heck of a year thus far. Was Coop really the problem here (as some, as well as Coop himself has stated)? It is just disappointing that he did not perform like this for him hometown team. Could have used it last season and definitely this season.

Well, if he was pitching for the White Sox this season, it would be on a $90-100 million contract, because the only way he was signing with us was doing it at some point in the first 3-4 months of 2015.

Shark's deal would subtract most of the leftover flexibility for adding a platoon LH bat, a starting pitcher and a reliever.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)
Well, if he was pitching for the White Sox this season, it would be on a $90-100 million contract, because the only way he was signing with us was doing it at some point in the first 3-4 months of 2015.

Shark's deal would subtract most of the leftover flexibility for adding a platoon LH bat, a starting pitcher and a reliever.

Yeah, that is completely true. However, if he would have had the kind of year that was expected of him last season, and the team would have been good and went to the postseason, the additional revenue might have been there (or at least the excitement to get something done). Then, we wouldn't need that extra starting pitcher right now. Instead, he stunk up the joint (along with the whole damn team) and neither of those things occurred. It was just disappointing to see him fail so miserably in a White Sox uniform, especially since he is having a very solid season thus far. It is too bad the personalities just didn't mesh between him and the White Sox organization.