4/7 White Sox at Oakland game thread

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
People are going to say this is an overreaction, but stuff like this is exactly why Robin shouldnt be the manager. He's weakening the OF defense in a stadium with a massive outfield for a pitcher that will likely have a lot of balls put in play against him. Not only that, but you're keeping your 2 current weakest hitters in the lineup and sitting the one that is actually hitting and has experience against this pitcher? Not to mention you're moving Melky up to the 2 hole despite a complete absence of on base ability thus far this season? Just absolutely clueless IMO.

This. 100% agree on everything.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
People are going to say this is an overreaction, but stuff like this is exactly why Robin shouldnt be the manager. He's weakening the OF defense in a stadium with a massive outfield for a pitcher that will likely have a lot of balls put in play against him. Not only that, but you're keeping your 2 current weakest hitters in the lineup and sitting the one that is actually hitting and has experience against this pitcher? Not to mention you're moving Melky up to the 2 hole despite a complete absence of on base ability thus far this season? Just absolutely clueless IMO.

I agree with you. It just doesn't make any sense to put Avi in RF today instead of keeping Jackson in the line up

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
It's a long flight home with a day game tomorrow. I have no problem with any lineup they put out there today.

Pinch running and pinch hitting can still happen during the game.

It is the 4th game of the season, not sure why flying home really matters? If this was in the middle of the season I would understand but there is no reason to start Avi over Jackson today, makes our OF defense so much worse in a big outfield with Latos starting

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
You really love Avi, don't you? Or at least you used to. I used to go to war with you and Rock on Avi, hah.

Yea man, cheers to the new season, I'm trying to be less of an asshole this year. Lots of great opinions here no reason to be so aggro.

So I switched over to ESPN2 (which had a great broadcast, wow, was really impressed) but did Hawk have any more awful moments last night? Goodness I don't know how Stone puts up with it anymore. Hawk just talks and talks and talks and he's been in "know it all mode" for almost every inning so far.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
So I switched over to ESPN2 (which had a great broadcast, wow, was really impressed) but did Hawk have any more awful moments last night?

I'll just say that if we can get through one game this year without him mentioning the Royals, I'll call it a victory.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
This is going to be a long f***ing season if you guys are really going to look at every single move Robin makes under a microscope.

I just want the move to make a little bit of sense and I just don't see it in this case.

Even if Avi ends up going 3-4 with a home run, the move still doesn't make sense on paper

So I switched over to ESPN2 (which had a great broadcast, wow, was really impressed) but did Hawk have any more awful moments last night? Goodness I don't know how Stone puts up with it anymore. Hawk just talks and talks and talks and he's been in "know it all mode" for almost every inning so far.

I think he has been very entertaining. Part of his job as the color analyst is to give background information on the game and various plays. While he does over due it, I find it much more entertaining than the bland national broadcasters that have no opinions at all. They are more like having two play by play guys in the booth.

I know it's all preference but I like a broadcaster to throw options and stories out there even if I don't agree with them.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I just want the move to make a little bit of sense and I just don't see it in this case.

Even if Avi ends up going 3-4 with a home run, the move still doesn't make sense on paper

On paper does it ever make sense to play a bench guy over a regular starter?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
This is going to be a long f***ing season if you guys are really going to look at every single move Robin makes under a microscope.

That's the job of this board, especially the ones who don't like Robin. It's like the old sports radio stations where fans can discuss actual games and plays not change the world one biased view at a time.

I thought the ESPN2 telecast was terrible. Dude's didn't even know to say Rodon.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Then Avi can go to AAA and figure out how to be a better fielder. If he wants to stay in the majors he has to learn to be a DH, IMO

I would disagree. I would play the players who are struggling more to try to "get them on track." If Avi doesn't get it together after a few weeks then they get rid of him. Right now they need to see if the changes in his swing will help his performance. They can't see that if he's on the bench.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
On paper does it ever make sense to play a bench guy over a regular starter?

Not necessarily, I think playing Saladino and Shuck today is fine simply because of the play on the field the first three games. I honestly think Saladino would have a better season then Rollins if both were giving the same playing time but I understand why Rollins is the starter. Rollins is 37 so he needs more time off then Jackson who is 29. Jackson had really good ABs last night against Gray and is the best fielder we have while Avi is a poor OF and has had 1, maybe 2 good ABs so far. And yes I know it is early but if you are wanting to make substitutions on a get away day (which is totally understandable) go with how people are playing the first few games.

This is just my opinion though, there is no right or wrong.

Garcia sucks and should not be on a major league roster

Giving Jackson the day off is fine but do it when Shuck can play RF and Melky in LF at least give yourself a chance

I really wonder sometimes if the White Sox think Garcia is a good outfielder like when they acquired him and their scouts felt he could play center field. Whoever that was better be out of a job.