The Offense

harkness99

It's the backup QB syndrome with Saladino again.

Let's not forget last year that despite his stellar defense, when the position was presented to him on a silver platter after Gillaspie and Beckham struggled that he couldn't handle it offensively.

He pretty much disappeared the second half of the season, and, despite all the offseason hype, if they were really sure about playing him at SS this season, they 1) would have had him playing nearly everyday for Alexei in September (Ramirez could have been DH, 2B, CF, etc., to demonstrate his versatility if they cared THAT much about his free agency with another team,) 2) wouldn't have acquired Jimmy Rollins at least three years too late.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
Without going outside the organization, here is my humble assessment and suggestion:

Jackson has been squaring up a lot of pitches, and hitting into very bad luck. He looks like he could still be the career .270 hitter, with a respectable OBP, whom the Sox acquired. He is young enough, with a long enough track record to garner some confidence in his ability to perform. We can't minimize the fact that he anchors the outfield defense. I'd bat him either in the 2 hole, or 9TH.

Versus RHP, Melky needs to bat between Abreu and Frazier, both because he is the only viable run producing left handed bat, and because he seems to hit better in the middle of the lineup. I like him at DH much better than LF, where although he has made the plays, every ball hit to him seems like an "adventure".

Saladino is a much better defensive shortstop than Rollins, who has clearly lost a step. He should get at least half of the playing time. Tyler could hit against all LH starters and get a few starts vs. right handed starters. I love his baseball acumen, and wonder if he might be a decent number two hitter. He can bunt, but I don't know about his ability to hit to right, on hit and run plays.

Avi should be sent to AAA, and get a chance to play the outfield and hit every day. Maybe he needs more reps, as Robin suggested, with his new approach, until it becomes completely natural and comfortable and until he gains more confidence in it. Coats seems like the logical choice. He would make that outfield defense really solid, with him in left, Jackson in center and Eaton in right. Although he isn't left handed, he hits RHP at least as well as he hits lefties, and is currently hitting .415 vs. RHP in his 41 at bats.

Lineup Vs. RHP:

CF Eaton

SS Saladino

1B Abreu

DH Melky

3B Frazier

2B Lawrie

C Avila

LF Coats

CF Jackson

If Saladino doesn't fill the 2 hole, he could be switched with Jackson, in the order.

There isn't anything especially dramatic, or creative in these suggestions, but it would shake things up a bit, and suggest to everyone that the organization demands some accountability, and is not apathetic about a complete failure of the offense to produce. There is also the intangible benefit of rewarding a guy like Coats, who has apparently worked very hard, and is showing some marked improvement.

I'd probably go

vs LHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Abreu 1B

3. Cabrera DH

4. Frazier 3B

5. Lawrie 2B

6. Jackson CF

7. Navarro C

8. Coats LF

9. Saladino SS

vs RHP

1. Eaton RF

2. Abreu 1B

3. Cabrera DH

4. Frazier 3B

5. Lawrie 2B

6. Jackson CF

7. Coats LF

8. Avila C

9. Rollins SS

They really need a LH run producer fort the middle of that lineup.

Ironically, Rollins, Sands and Saladino have been our 4th, 5th and 6th best hitters with Rollins hitting .217, Sands hitting .231 and Saladino hitting .267.

I know that Sands defense was ropey when he played at 1st base but his outfield defense is better than both Cabrera and Avi.

I agree that Avi needs to be sent down for a Left Hander, so I think I'd want to see some speed and bring up Jacob May.

I think I'd platoon May and Sands in Left Field and stick the Melkman at DH.

There will also be the option to stick EJ or a pensman to Charlotte once the long spell of games is out of the way (May 2nd).

That could be used to bring up another bat to help.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Ironically, Rollins, Sands and Saladino have been our 4th, 5th and 6th best hitters with Rollins hitting .217, Sands hitting .231 and Saladino hitting .267.

I know that Sands defense was ropey when he played at 1st base but his outfield defense is better than both Cabrera and Avi.

I agree that Avi needs to be sent down for a Left Hander, so I think I'd want to see some speed and bring up Jacob May.

I think I'd platoon May and Sands in Left Field and stick the Melkman at DH.

There will also be the option to stick EJ or a pensman to Charlotte once the long spell of games is out of the way (May 2nd).

That could be used to bring up another bat to help.

Jacob May is not ready for the majors and shouldn't be used in a platoon role. If anyone new comes up, I think it'll be Jason Coats.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
Think the obvious solution reading all these internal solutions is Hahn needs to make a trade sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Any ideas? You know what I want; a middle of the order left handed bat. However, with Morneau and Ethier injured, who is left? I don't want Bruce.

What would it take to get CarGo from the Rockies, and would you be willing to do it?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
Agreed. Any ideas? You know what I want; a middle of the order left handed bat. However, with Morneau and Ethier injured, who is left? I don't want Bruce.

What would it take to get CarGo from the Rockies, and would you be willing to do it?

Nobody is making a trade until Mid-Late May at the earliest. At this rate, CarGo won't even be available. They are in a tough spot because teams don't trade this early.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
Another thread was necessary

for real

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
Sox missed their chances last off season. They could have had Dickerson, IMO. Boston, with its sxxtload of prospects, was ripe for a starting pitcher before they signed Price.

yea, the Sox didnt do anything to upgrade the offense this offseason. Totally sat on their hands

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
What, pray tell, is the "historical norm season" of which you preach "there is enough to compete" of the:

- non-PED Cabrera

- unproven Lawrie

- post-2013 Jackson

- post-concussion Avila

- 37 year-old Rollins

- Avi Garcia EVER

Apparently this concept is too complex?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
Nobody is making a trade until Mid-Late May at the earliest. At this rate, CarGo won't even be available. They are in a tough spot because teams don't trade this early.

I wonder what the cost for CarGo will be? (Assuming the Rockies decide to go that route)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I think he's one of the players who's actually been worse than Avi.

I am fairly, hugely confident that at the end of the year he will exceed Avi's production handily.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)

Morneau will be ready some time in June apparently. He still seems like the best option pre trade deadline if you take cost ( cheap)need ( left handed with power, back up 1st base, decent fielder),and ability into consideration.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 02:38 AM)
Morneau will be ready some time in June apparently. He still seems like the best option pre trade deadline if you take cost ( cheap)need ( left handed with power, back up 1st base, decent fielder),and ability into consideration.

I haven't seen any updates on how he is recovering from the elbow surgery. The original prognosis was that he could start swinging a bat in June.

Have you seen anything further on his progress and scheduled return? A healthy Morneau would look great in the middle of the lineup.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 02:05 AM)
I haven't seen any updates on how he is recovering from the elbow surgery. The original prognosis was that he could start swinging a bat in June.

Have you seen anything further on his progress and scheduled return? A healthy Morneau would look great in the middle of the lineup.

No haven't seen anything since mid March on MLBTR . I do know that he was the only guy on MLBTR's top 50 free agents who didn't get a deal because of the elbow but there wasn't much interest in him before he decided to get the surgery.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 07:04 AM)
Markakis might be an option as well. He has no pop, but he'd be a solid #2 hitter and the Braves would most likely eat a portion of his contract if the Sox gave them a prospect.

Doubtful Atlanta would eat enough of that contract to interest the Sox in having Markakis through 2018. If they are going to pay for someone lets hope he can also field his position well as to not saddle the Sox with yet another DH type of player. We've all seen what good fielding brings to a team when combined with good pitching. Avi and Sands are already not very useful in that respect .

Some things to ponder regarding our offense:

-We're #28 BABIP. Victims of bad luck?

-We're actually #6 at not striking out.

-Our propensity to walk is not great, but with a little improvement we're at 8% as a team and basically that'd be middle of the pack MLB.

-#16 in overall contact at the plate, so ..not bad

When you consider all that, I think it's actually possible that the one true let down is the team slugging. Also worth noting we dont hit line drives. Some of those positive aspects though show you that we're perhaps on track so far, just being part of the chaos you can expect in small sample sizes early in the season. My goal for this team is to keep the elite pitching and defense, and raise the offense to middle of the pack overall.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Some things to ponder regarding our offense:

-We're #28 BABIP. Victims of bad luck?

-We're actually #6 at not striking out.

-Our propensity to walk is not great, but with a little improvement we're at 8% as a team and basically that'd be middle of the pack MLB.

When you consider all that, I think it's actually possible that the one true weakness/let down is the team slugging. Everything else actually is on track with being part of the chaos you can expect in small sample sizes early in the season.

We did pick up our BB rate this past week. Guys started taking walks.

This is not a stat that tells us much but i thought it interesting to point out-- we are tied for #30 with Seattle in Total # of Players Used so far this year

More from baseball reference: their strength of schedule rating says all AL Central teams have faced (in sum) below-average opponents except Cleveland. KC's schedule has been the easiest.

Edited by Jose Paniagua