AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Rollins hit into the force out at the plate, I don't know what Austin Jacson was doing but he would have been an easy force out for a DP if the catcher threw to 3rd. He didn't. Sox win. 12-6 with a roster of minor leaguers and a manager that shouldn't manage a little league team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
There was about 20k there today. They don't stay at baseball games in extra innings and many moved to the sunny part where it actually was warm.

I did find out from a guy sitting behind me before the last AB, Jose Abreu had no business being on a major league field and he also sai David Robertson is too scared to be a closer.

Boy that's a real hot take

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
When Rollins hit into the force out at the plate, I don't know what Austin Jacson was doing but he would have been an easy force out for a DP if the catcher threw to 3rd. He didn't. Sox win. 12-6 with a roster of minor leaguers and a manager that shouldn't manage a little league team.

Amen

They gotta get Rollins off short more. He almost cost them today but he's left at least a half dozen plays out there this year already. Not talking errors but plays a good defensive MLB makes. Stopping that ball and then turning the DP in the Lawrie snag are just two examples from today.

also special dumbass RV move of the day today letting Duke pitch to Beltre. I mean, ok, it worked out but that is playing with fire giving Duke such high leverage against the platoon advantage.

But, a win is a win and although the warning signs are there for this club to sink back to mediocrity there are also enough positive signs to think maybe they are a 86-90 win club. One thing is for sure and that is that Melky is doing his best poor man's version of Mike Trout right now. He's putting it together in all phases. Worth .7 fWAR already if not more after today.

DH is a problem but there will undoubtedly but many DH types floating around at the deadline. Just somehow get enough out of it in the meantime. Just feel bad for Avi he's overmatched right now and needs to see AAA to clear his head. His adjustments haven't stuck at the MLB level maybe they will at AAA. He's still fairly young but right now he's not a MLB hitter. Make him hit his way back.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
They gotta get Rollins off short more. He almost cost them today but he's left at least a half dozen plays out there this year already. Not talking errors but plays a good defensive MLB makes. Stopping that ball and then turning the DP in the Lawrie snag are just two examples from today.

also special dumbass RV move of the day today letting Duke pitch to Beltre. I mean, ok, it worked out but that is playing with fire giving Duke such high leverage against the platoon advantage.

But, a win is a win and although the warning signs are there for this club to sink back to mediocrity there are also enough positive signs to think maybe they are a 86-90 win club. One thing is for sure and that is that Melky is doing his best poor man's version of Mike Trout right now. He's putting it together in all phases. Worth .7 fWAR already if not more after today.

DH is a problem but there will undoubtedly but many DH types floating around at the deadline. Just somehow get enough out of it in the meantime. Just feel bad for Avi he's overmatched right now and needs to see AAA to clear his head. His adjustments haven't stuck at the MLB level maybe they will at AAA. He's still fairly young but right now he's not a MLB hitter. Make him hit his way back.

Agree with all of this.

I want to see Smith and Coats or Sanchez called up and Rollins moved to DH giving plenty of looks to Saladino at SS.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
Agree with all of this.

I want to see Smith and Coats or Sanchez called up and Rollins moved to DH giving plenty of looks to Saladino at SS.

There has been a buzz with Coats, but IMO, he is due a crash. I think his BABIP is close to .500, and he hardly ever walks.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
I agree with, he's definitely overrated around here IMO. Having said that, he still might be a better option than Avi.

Might be? Avi is in such a dense fog right now and others may say has been in that fog his whole career. Sure Coats is overrated but he's the only position player on Charlotte worth talking about because of outstanding numbers (apologies to Smith and Sanchez).

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
There has been a buzz with Coats, but IMO, he is due a crash. I think his BABIP is close to .500, and he hardly ever walks.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)
I agree with, he's definitely overrated around here IMO. Having said that, he still might be a better option than Avi.

I agree there is a buzz about him, but Avi needs to get his head on straight, hes still young and might prove to be a productive bat but i don't believe it'll be with the sox.

Personally I'm excited to see what Smith offers if anything and I want Saladino to get a fair shake at SS, putting Rollins at DH at least against LH gives you some additional length in the line up, just need someone who can mash right handers to compliment with him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
Might be? Avi is in such a dense fog right now and others may say has been in that fog his whole career. Sure Coats is overrated but he's the only position player on Charlotte worth talking about because of outstanding numbers (apologies to Smith and Sanchez).

I just don't have a lot of faith that Coats is going to come and not struggle like a lot of rookies do, especially ones that are fringe prospects. Having said that, Avi is so bad that it wouldn't take much for Coats outperform him. I'm willing to give him a shot, just not optimistic the result will much better.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 11:59 PM)
There's not much buzz at all with Coats. He's rated properly as a mediocre prospect in a weak system that is 26 years old which means sink or swim time for him. And he'd be hard pressed to do any worse than the last guys on the Sox roster.

There's been a lot of buzz about him on this site.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)

It's not a matter of being overrated, people want to see them try something else. Coats may not be the answer, but he's never had an OPS under .747 in the minors and he plays above average defense. That allows for a lot more flexibility with this team. If you want to slot Melky into DH, you can. If yo want to DH Coats, you can. Avi had great numbers in the minors that ultimately meant nothing. What has he earned at the major league level to continue warranting ABs? Throw s*** at the wall and see if it sticks at this point.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 02:03 AM)
It's not a matter of being overrated, people want to see them try something else. Coats may not be the answer, but he's never had an OPS under .747 in the minors and he plays above average defense. That allows for a lot more flexibility with this team. If you want to slot Melky into DH, you can. If yo want to DH Coats, you can. Avi had great numbers in the minors that ultimately meant nothing. What has he earned at the major league level to continue warranting ABs? Throw s*** at the wall and see if it sticks at this point.

Yeah this has less to do with optimism in Coats and more to do with how useless and bad Avi is.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 02:09 AM)
Yeah this has less to do with optimism in Coats and more to do with how useless and bad Avi is.

I'm in full agreement with this. And I'm not accusing every poster who'd like to give Coats a chance as over-hyping him either. I've just seen multiple posters talk him up like he has a good chance of being a very solid regular at the major league level when in reality he's got 4th OF upside. The guy doesn't draw walks, hits for below average power for a corner OF, & is not an elite defender. He does nothing especially well. IMO, guys like him don't translate well to the pros, but again, I fully agree it's time to try something different at DH and there's little risk in giving Coats a shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Jerry Sands is a better DH option than Coats.

agreed. people dont realize how hard it is to come in and not struggle. Coats is brand new and therefore is of intrigue, but Sands is a proven MiLB performer and even HE has struggled in MLB

But Sands is practically new too since he hasnt had tons of MLB chances yet.

Coats needs to do what Trayce did and make a plate patience turnaround in the minors that he can take with him up to the show. When Coats comes up and stays up, it will be for defense reasons. I get the sense Melky must be pretty darn opposed to DHing but if Trayce were still here, he'd absolutely have to be one. Coats is like a potential Trayce, basically

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 06:23 AM)
Jerry Sands is a better DH option than Coats.

Debatable . Is his defense better than Coats ? Would it hurt the team much to send Avi down or release Sands ? Probably not. Sands is 28 and out of options. Coats is 26 . Sands has played 1 inning in the OF this year . His brief stints in the majors don't show if he hits righties or lefties better.Maybe his minor league stats do .

I do know Avi has had 58 PA's and Sands 17 , that needs to stop.Find out what we have in Sands or Coats. If one doesn't work try the other.