Is Tim Anderson Ready?

professa

Tim Anderson  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should the White Sox call up Tim Anderson?

• Yes, he has proven that he can hit AAA pitching and the Sox need him
    • No, he still needs to work on his defense and plate discipline

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Beckham had under 250 ABs before being called up to the majors.

Anderson has 1300 ABs

A little bit different here lol

Not ready is not ready. Can you believe Beckham has been our best defensive draft pick since 2006? YIKES

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
Not ready is not ready. Can you believe Beckham has been our best defensive draft pick since 2006? YIKES

Well, he's pretty damn good at defense. But wait, wouldn't Saladino, Carlos Sanchez, or Cleuluis Rondon challenge him on that?

edit- not Rondon, forgot we traded for him

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 25, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
Yes. Maximizing the number of PA's given to your best hitters while minimizing the number of PA's given to your worst hitters sounds like optimal lineup construction to me.

OK. Just remember to not complain about wasted innings when there is a deadspot every third inning.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
OK. Just remember to not complain about wasted innings when there is a deadspot every third inning.

Would you rather have every Eaton-started/continued rally end with Rollins batting and Frazier or Abreu on deck?

Rollins can hit 2nd against LHP. That's it.

The problem is Jackson/Saladino aren't suited for the 2 hole, Lawrie K's too much but has the higher OBP. Slumping, though.

Cabrera there, Abreu/Frazier lose all their protection and just get walked.

Want nothing to do with Avi in that spot.

Only solution...Adam Engel, lol. Carlos Sanchez probably has the best match, but he just can't hit enough to keep a regular playing spot, and playing part-time his contact rate starts to fall.

I know, I know...everyone thinks Tim Anderson can just come up and magically hold his own there. We'll see.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)
Would you rather have every Eaton-started/continued rally end with Rollins batting and Frazier or Abreu on deck?

Yes. If eaton started it, odds are abreu and Frazier still have a chance to drive him in.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)

It just defies logic (to me at least) to willingly give your worst hitters more PA's than your best ones. We also know that hitters perform better when there are people on base, and pretty much any hitter on the Sox lineup is more likely to get on base than Rollins/Sanchez/Saladino. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest there's a benefit to balancing a lineup rather than stacking it, but maybe you're on to something.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
It just defies logic (to me at least) to willingly give your worst hitters more PA's than your best ones. We also know that hitters perform better when there are people on base, and pretty much any hitter on the Sox lineup is more likely to get on base than Rollins/Sanchez/Saladino. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest there's a benefit to balancing a lineup rather than stacking it, but maybe you're on to something.

I guess it's two different perspectives. I see what you are saying over the season the better hitters will get more at bats, honestly how many more per year? 50? Rollins has an OBP of 290 so if you replace him with ahitter getting on base at 330 that 40% more. So thats about 20 more times over the course of the year or once every 8 games?

However, if you separate the bad hitters you have less chance of running into a strong of outs. If Rollins strikes out with Eaton on first, the next hitters can drive him in as opposed to 3 straight outs with all of the bad hitters in a row.

I see advantages to both but it seems worse to put all of the bad ones in a row to maximize the bad innings.

It's an utter embarrassment that Robin continues to bat Rollins or Saladino in the 2 hole. I think it's a contributing factor to the lifeless offense for sure. There are two perfectly better options and Robin refuses to go there. He prefers a black hole. There will never be a big rally at the top of the order with a black hole there. Robin is bad.

Edited by Special K

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:13 PM)
I guess it's two different perspectives. I see what you are saying over the season the better hitters will get more at bats, honestly how many more per year? 50? Rollins has an OBP of 290 so if you replace him with ahitter getting on base at 330 that 40% more. So thats about 20 more times over the course of the year or once every 8 games?

However, if you separate the bad hitters you have less chance of running into a strong of outs. If Rollins strikes out with Eaton on first, the next hitters can drive him in as opposed to 3 straight outs with all of the bad hitters in a row.

I see advantages to both but it seems worse to put all of the bad ones in a row to maximize the bad innings.

Roughly .9 plate appearances per game from leadoff to 9th.

So .9 X 162, it's pretty darned significant over the course of a full season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 25, 2016 -> 08:22 PM)
White Sox are in first place and we are talking about firing the manager, releasing players and trading others.

Yes, but if the White Sox had gone 11-4 to get here from 1 game under .500, you'd see a completely opposite reaction.

Skepticism, still...is it sustainable, but not the end of the world threads.

And it doesn't help to be going on the road to KC, NYM and Detroit...and having our two best pitchers lose on consecutive nights when we just had a 3 1/2 game lead on Monday before the 2nd game of the DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Roughly .9 plate appearances per game from leadoff to 9th.

So .9 X 162, it's pretty darned significant over the course of a full season.

Really? That doesn't seem right. Even if it is we are talking the 2 spot vs. probably the 7th or 8th because the wouldn't bat him right in front of eaton. Plus rollins hasnt and won't play everyday to get to 162 ganes which really minimizes the difference in plate appearances.

Regardless, it just doesn't seem to make sense to put all of the worst hitters in a row to maxmize the useless inning.

That would be something like 4.77 (2nd spot) vs. 4.26 (7th) or 4.16 (8th).

Let's average it out to 0.56 times X number of games. More in line with your 40-50 at-bats per season. That said, you're giving those at-bats to Saladino/Jackson instead, so that spot is getting around 90 AB's more, over an entire year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2016 -> 09:13 PM)

It's been awhile since I read The Book by Tom Tango, and unfortunately most of what was written in it can't be found on the web. But I believe the general rule of thumb is that each lineup slot receives an extra 18 PA per year. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a big deal. But this is something that's entirely in Robin's control. An extra win that could be gained from batting someone like Abreu or Lawrie in the #2 spot compared to Rollins/Saladino/Sanchez could be the difference between them making the playoffs and not. Again, batting order isn't the be all end all. It's not the difference between 95 wins and 81. But it makes a difference on the margins, and the Sox aren't good enough to turn down opportunities to improve themselves on the margins.

Every time this question is asked, the answer is still September. Anderson has a history of struggling for a significant period of time to adjust to each level he jumps to. Leave him at AAA until rosters expand unless a short term injury at SS would give him a short stint as a nonpressure preview for him, instead of just handing him the job in a pennant race.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Every time this question is asked, the answer is still September. Anderson has a history of struggling for a significant period of time to adjust to each level he jumps to. Leave him at AAA until rosters expand unless a short term injury at SS would give him a short stint as a nonpressure preview for him, instead of just handing him the job in a pennant race.

Why is that the answer? Circumstances have changed. If the team weren't competitive, then stow him in Charlotte until 2017 for service time reasons. They are, however, but with no thanks to J-Roll. We know what Rollins is at this point; an over the hill short stop with limited range who has struggled mightily at the plate as well. Anderson might not prove to be any better should he be called up, but at least there's an element of the unknown. Who knows, maybe he gets called up and throws together a solid .260/.310 slash line all while swiping bases.

Bare minimum, Saladino should start AT LEAST half the games. He provides + defense and is every bit as effective offensively at this juncture in their careers.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ May 26, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Why is that the answer? Circumstances have changed. If the team weren't competitive, then stow him in Charlotte until 2017 for service time reasons. They are, however, but with no thanks to J-Roll. We know what Rollins is at this point; an over the hill short stop with limited range who has struggled mightily at the plate as well. Anderson might not prove to be any better should he be called up, but at least there's an element of the unknown. Who knows, maybe he gets called up and throws together a solid .260/.310 slash line all while swiping bases.

Bare minimum, Saladino should start AT LEAST half the games. He provides + defense and is every bit as effective offensively at this juncture in their careers.

Because you want to do what is best for Anderson and the franchise on a long term basis. Releasing a useful player, and slotting a young one in the middle of a pennant race who has a history of struggling to start off each level with high strikeouts and no walks isn't a recipe for success for either Anderson or the White Sox today. Bring him up in September, where you can mix and match his ABs in better situations, and then if he wins the job in spring training, let him get his real struggles out of the way in April, with a lot less attention on him.