White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Your last point is very interesting. At the time I was among those who felt that if the Sox won the World Series and then sucked for the next ten years it would be worth it.

Having (ironically) basically gone through that exact scenario, now I really wonder.

The Sox from 1951-1967 were one of the best, most stable franchises in all of MLB. 17 straight winning seasons, seven of them with 90+ wins yet they only made the World Series once and lost it.

To be perfectly honest with you if the devil offered me that scenario today I might very well take it...at least I'd see very good baseball and know that more than likely when the season was done the team was going to win a lot more games then they lost. I'd have to think hard about that one.

And one final point, you're chances of winning the World Series are zero if you don't even make the playoffs. Those teams you mentioned at least had a shot to do so by making it. I'd gladly take my chances of the Sox not winning it if at least they could get there to try.

Mark

I remember how common that line of thought was in the early 2000's. You are quite literally the first person I have seen bring it up and say they might have been wrong about. Everyone else just pretends it never was said.

If the White Sox had the advantage of the current playoff format, they definitely would have won at least one World Series title over that time period LIP is referring to.

Heck, they SHOULD have by all rights won the 1994 World Series, the one that never happened. (Thanks, JR!) But as usual, we should still be loyal 11 years later, because, "2005!"

And yet for some strange reason, ALMOST everyone here supports the idea of getting rid of Williams to let Rick Hahn run things, the same Rick Hahn who has shown us what exactly in terms of talent evaluation (other than the Adam Eaton trade) over his tenure? But logically, without KW to meddle/interfere like the villain in a Scooby Doo cartoon, we would have made the playoffs numerous times if Williams and JR just got out of the way and let Hahn do his job.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
I remember how common that line of thought was in the early 2000's. You are quite literally the first person I have seen bring it up and say they might have been wrong about. Everyone else just pretends it never was said.

The last 10 years have fully convinced me that saying "I'll trade 1 WS for 10 years of garbage teams" remains completely the right move.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
If the White Sox had the advantage of the current playoff format, they definitely would have won at least one World Series title over that time period LIP is referring to.

Heck, they SHOULD have by all rights won the 1994 World Series, the one that never happened. (Thanks, JR!) But as usual, we should still be loyal 11 years later, because, "2005!"

And yet for some strange reason, ALMOST everyone here supports the idea of getting rid of Williams to let Rick Hahn run things, the same Rick Hahn who has shown us what exactly in terms of talent evaluation (other than the Adam Eaton trade) over his tenure? But logically, without KW to meddle/interfere like the villain in a Scooby Doo cartoon, we would have made the playoffs numerous times if Williams and JR just got out of the way and let Hahn do his job.

It's hard for me to place a lot of blame on Rick yet because fairly or unfairly I simply don't know if he has a free hand to run things the way he wishes to.

Hahn has talked about rebuilding the minor leagues and having "sustained" success and he did a very good job of beginning to cut out the dead weight in 2013-14. It appeared that his plan was taking shape.

But then you have the almost 180 degree rotation to what the Sox did the off season before 2015 and it just makes you wonder. Those moves seemed to be a disconnect between what history showed he was doing and what he wanted to do to what actually happened.

So honestly I don't know what to think right now.

The only way to know for sure would be for Kenny to be completely cut out of the organization and then see what history shows after Hahn had complete control.

Since that isn't in play, I think its reasonable to say the jury is still out on him.

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

South:

Again I've always placed a lot of weight towards having a winning season. Some might say to much and that my thought process limits expectations.

They say attitudes are shaped as a child and you have to remember I was born in 1955. I was vagely a where of the 59 World Series but remember nothing specific. I do start to remember things about the Sox in 1960 for example and from there on out. Went to my first game in 1963. Remember for me, growing up, I never even experienced a 'losing' season until 1968. That summer I was 12 about to be 13 that August. That's an amazingly long time to grow up without the Sox ever having a bad team.

I submit that simply because that probably has a lot to do with why I'd have to consider 'giving up the World Series win' if it meant another "Golden Age" for wont of a better word.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Be more than happy to, in fact I'd LOVE TO. Let me know when the Sox provide me a real reason to do so OK?

Mark

I will if you stop posting every single negative thought you can come up with about the team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
I will if you stop posting every single negative thought you can come up with about the team.

Done and done.

I'll let the on field and front office actions speak for themselves.

I'm serious about this.

You get your wish.

Mark

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
The last 10 years have fully convinced me that saying "I'll trade 1 WS for 10 years of garbage teams" remains completely the right move.

This is where I'm still stuck.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
This is where I'm still stuck.

I might be hitting my limit at about the 10 year point, and just flat out watching less baseball as a consequence. Then again, if I could stop having to move across the country I'd probably be right back where I was last year, watching every game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)

I'll never forget what a dominant postseason that was. I think if they didn't struggle in Sept. that outcome might have been different.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
I might be hitting my limit at about the 10 year point, and just flat out watching less baseball as a consequence. Then again, if I could stop having to move across the country I'd probably be right back where I was last year, watching every game.

I guess this is the difference. I still love the game of baseball. Win or lose I still enjoy watching and going to games. The games are more enjoyable when they win but really just love to watch baseball.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Done and done.

I'll let the on field and front office actions speak for themselves.

I'm serious about this.

You get your wish.

Mark

Wow, it was a joke. People are far too serious. I fully support everyone to express their own opinions, even if they are wrong.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
I guess this is the difference. I still love the game of baseball. Win or lose I still enjoy watching and going to games. The games are more enjoyable when they win but really just love to watch baseball.

I enjoy baseball when I have no emotional interest.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I enjoy baseball when I have no emotional interest.

I'm totally the opposite. I put it on in the background and wind up doing something else when I don't care. I want someone to root for. I'm about to move and I'm going to one last Pirates game before I leave...and yes I'm going when the Cubs are in town because I want someone to root for in that game.

(in case it's not clear, I will be rooting strongly for the Pirates that day).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)

Bingo. The games are entertainment, not life, death, or any of life's other problems. It is an escape from that. If it stresses you out, or angers you for any real period of time, you aren't getting out of it, what you should be getting out of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm totally the opposite. I put it on in the background and wind up doing something else when I don't care. I want someone to root for. I'm about to move and I'm going to one last Pirates game before I leave...and yes I'm going when the Cubs are in town because I want someone to root for in that game.

(in case it's not clear, I will be rooting strongly for the Pirates that day).

Yes, but is no fun in watching the game unless the team you are rooting for wins? Again, it's obviously more fun when the team wins but no fun in a game even if they lose? That's sounds more like a fan of winning not a team or the game.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)

I think the best way to sum up my feelings PTATC is to say I like baseball but I love the White Sox. And when the Sox are doing poorly baseball has very little appeal for me. I don't care to watch other successful teams and wonder why it is the Sox can't do the same thing.

Just the way I'm wired. Winning means more to me personally that the sport itself.

Not saying you are right or wrong just that we take different approaches to this.

Mark