White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
What is the point of your post? I'm calling out this fool

Why just him? A lot of people were good with this move. Because you were maybe right about one move, you're a better talent evaluator? Quick sign this guy up White Sox!

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Why just him? A lot of people were good with this move. Because you were maybe right about one move, you're a better talent evaluator? Quick sign this guy up White Sox!

Groupthink is a dangerous thing. Eat crow, then go back to your safe space.

Edited by soxforlife05

Look the CW on this board is clearly in support of hyper acquisition of veteran players (as long as they don't trade Anderson to get them).

So be it, but I continue to hope Williams/Hahn rethink their philosophy.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Look the CW on this board is clearly in support of hyper acquisition of veteran players (as long as they don't trade Anderson to get them).

So be it, but I continue to hope Williams/Hahn rethink their philosophy.

What I'm scared about now is Hahn/KW doing a fire sale with guys like Q, Sale in a year or so and completely busting because they can't evaluate talent and prolong the rebuild.

I don't want any of our top players traded until we get a new front office in place.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
It is a micocosim of the failings of this organization. There is a stink to that place.

Robin does not get the best out of his players.

Who was the manager when the team had a record of 23-10? Was he not getting the best out of them at that point?

Shields was absolutely brutal tonight. San Diego has been trying to trade him since last year's trade deadline and the fact that the Padres were willing to eat so much money to ship him out is quite concerning. He needs to figure it out and figure it out quickly.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 12:07 AM)
Shields was absolutely brutal tonight. San Diego has been trying to trade him since last year's trade deadline and the fact that the Padres were willing to eat so much money to ship him out is quite concerning. He needs to figure it out and figure it out quickly.

Pfft...that one only cost what...$250K? ($5M/20 starts left if healthy)?

We have another $20 MILLION OF THIS to look forward to while we continue to have ZERO hit/run scoring power.

Because "innings eater".

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 11:48 PM)
Pfft...that one only cost what...$250K? ($5M/20 starts left if healthy)?

We have another $20 MILLION OF THIS to look forward to while we continue to have ZERO hit/run scoring power.

Because "innings eater".

Alright, you can relax, he's not gonna pitch fewer than 3 innings in every start.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 12:51 AM)
Alright, you can relax, he's not gonna pitch fewer than 3 innings in every start.

What happened to the bar of 7 innings? A few guys actually went as far as saying he is our new #3!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
Who was the manager when the team had a record of 23-10? Was he not getting the best out of them at that point?

Winning that many games we were lucky now you want to project Shields as a catastrophe. Rick Hahn isn't the only one making the decisions at whitesox headquarters. I will give shields the benefit of the doubt. I don't think they spent thag kind of money without a good amount of deliberation.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Winning that many games we were lucky now you want to project Shields as a catastrophe. Rick Hahn isn't the only one making the decisions at whitesox headquarters. I will give shields the benefit of the doubt. I don't think they spent thag kind of money without a good amount of deliberation.

I'm not. He's 34, he's lost velocity, and he was a below-average pitcher in a pitcher's park in the NL. While I don't think that Shields will necessarily be Danks-bad this season, he is clearly in the twilight of his career and is not going to be better than a #5 in the AL. He might not even be a viable major league pitcher in the last half of his contract.

The Sox front office is in desperation mode right now. That's the only way to explain paying $30M for a pitcher very near the end of his career.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 11:58 PM)
This post... lol

Yeah OUR bad Robin has a long history of winning... how short sighted of us.

So when they win it's lucky but when they lose it's RV fault. I can't argue with that kind of logic.