White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
Shields has gotten absolutely demolished in two straight starts now. He looks gassed and/or hurt. There was a reason San Diego gave him up for peanuts.

He's 36 years old (or something). Did you expect him to be an ace? Because they wouldn't have gotten an ace for Erik Johnson, Fernando Tatis Jr, and $20+ million.

QUOTE (GhostofDickeyKerr @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Exactly right. They aren't.

Show me. He traded Trayce Thompson away and he's having a fantastic season in Los Angeles. Semien has become a regular in Oakland, Bassit was a quality starter before he went down for Tommy John. I think the Sox farm is doing OK right now. Not the best, but it's OK. It's not Anaheim's, that's for sure.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
User Actions

Follow

Pedro MartinezVerified account

‏@45PedroMartinez

I hope Shields realizes he's flying open and his head is too far away from his release point. He needs to work on his mechanics.

34 year olds with $21M/yr contracts don't work on mechanics.

I hope he works on packing his bags.

Guy is a bum.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:08 AM)
He's 36 years old (or something). Did you expect him to be an ace? Because they wouldn't have gotten an ace for Erik Johnson, Fernando Tatis Jr, and $20+ million.

I don't think anyone expects that. Just be a solid 4. Gonzalez is better than shields right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
There is no way he is this bad. It was painful to watch but at least he got through the fifth with a couple of innings of no damage. The first couple of innings, oh my, and it was close to being even worse.

Innings.

Eater!.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Innings.

Eater!.

I know you are being sarcastic, but his last few innings did help the team win. He could have been out after 2 and chances are Detroit wins.

The Sox won, he wasn't batting practice the last 3 innings he pitched. The guy had an ERA of 3.04 3 starts ago. I know the peripherals, the peripherals, but I looked at them before he got blasted in Seattle, and although they were not as good as his ERA, they were quite similar to the peripherals he put up when he was considered a top of the rotation pitcher. He isn't this bad.

Edited by Dick Allen

Oh, please "balled that one out".

His ERA shot up 2.5 pts in 3 starts and 9 whole IP.

He should be sent to the Twins with $20M immediately for a pack or two of those witch hazel ass wipes for the clubhouse.

Those things are great.

Edited by CB2.0

For $10 million a year I expected more than the 8+ ERA he's putting up... there is some ground in between ace and 8+ era

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
I hope Shields doesn't spoil his dinner with all the innings he's eating.

Everybody in the front office responsible for this trade should consider a different line of work. Shields is going to be an albatross so fast.

I was never a fan of the trade, but Shields is not as bad as these most recent two starts. He's trending the wrong direction but he didn't just become the worst pitcher in baseball overnight. That said, I do think if given the shot in San Diego, Johnson, will end up putting up better numbers over the next three years than Shields.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
I was never a fan of the trade, but Shields is not as bad as these most recent two starts. He's trending the wrong direction but he didn't just become the worst pitcher in baseball overnight. That said, I do think if given the shot in San Diego, Johnson, will end up putting up better numbers over the next three years than Shields.

Maybe so. I do not believe that Erik Johnson would have put up better numbers here than Shields will though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)

No, he is not 16 ERA bad. I do not expect him to be worth what we're paying him though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:01 AM)
Maybe so. I do not believe that Erik Johnson would have put up better numbers here than Shields will though.

I think part of this is I think both are susceptible to the HR so obviously Johnson will have benefit of pitching in betters park and I would have guessed that Shields would have a better 2016 than Johnson with Johnson really being the better value in the following years (and obviously Sox made this move with 2016 top of mind, although, given they were taking on some extra years, I presume they also contemplated such and presumed Shields will still be a passable 4th / 5th in those years).

I will continue to say, they should have used the cash and prospects to fill bigger holes, but that is just me. That said, I hope Shields kicks ass for the Sox.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
I think part of this is I think both are susceptible to the HR so obviously Johnson will have benefit of pitching in betters park and I would have guessed that Shields would have a better 2016 than Johnson with Johnson really being the better value in the following years (and obviously Sox made this move with 2016 top of mind, although, given they were taking on some extra years, I presume they also contemplated such and presumed Shields will still be a passable 4th / 5th in those years).

I will continue to say, they should have used the cash and prospects to fill bigger holes, but that is just me. That said, I hope Shields kicks ass for the Sox.

I get what you mean. He obviously has a mechanical issue though. He's not an ace anymore but he's not this bad.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
Pedro Martinez ‏@45PedroMartinez 10h10 hours ago

I hope Shields realizes he's flying open and his head is too far away from his release point. He needs to work on his mechanics.

If Pedro Martinez is tweeting how to do a better job... Well... Ya.

Yeah, otoh, it's fair to say he's been paid like a #2 over the last 5 years or so, whereas the performance since maybe the middle of 2014 has been closer to a 3.

It's all because he pitched in so many playoff games for the Rays there earlier in his career, and the fact that he has been the undisputed "team leader" wherever he has gone (at least until SD). Plus, the whole nickname things.

At least Pedro Martinez gave that free/unsolicited advice. He wouldn't have if Shields was still still pitching 3-4 times per season against the Red Sox (w/ Tampa Bay).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 03:11 AM)
Show me. He traded Trayce Thompson away and he's having a fantastic season in Los Angeles. Semien has become a regular in Oakland, Bassit was a quality starter before he went down for Tommy John. I think the Sox farm is doing OK right now. Not the best, but it's OK. It's not Anaheim's, that's for sure.

And Tim Anderson has developed well enough to be here as a 22 year old.

Make it 3 starts in a row that Shields has got rocked. I've never mentioned the word ace and James Shields in the same sentence. Shields keeps this up and he will be a DFA candidate just like Latos.