White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Not sure which is the bigger head scratcher, the trade for Shields or the horrible 4 game stretch Shields is having. And I thought Javy Vazquez was perplexing.

The horrible stretch for me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Lincecum's line today:

6 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB's, 2 K's

For 1/5th or 1/6th of the price of Shields.

Much better for marketing purposes as well.

But Shields is a great guy in the dugout.....................Unfortunately he only stays in it an inning or so.

Yeah, you really can't embarrass Shields and the organization anymore by having him face the Red Sox and Porcello on Thursday.

That's just a recipe for disaster, MLB's best offense at home.

You have to put him on the DL and bring up Ranaudo...unless their goal is simply to get him to retire and save themselves that $27 million. That might be the best strategy for the organization, but it would be terrible to watch and wouldn't be long forgotten by free agents when they look at the stream of bodies coming out of Chicago these days.

OR, unless Shields absolutely forces the issue and says he wants to make the start regardless. That would be masochistic, almost.

This is the first time I feel like the FO really f***ed up, and I'm one of the bigger apologists on here. Had they waited a little longer to cut Danks, EJ's value might have increased a bit in AAA. They should have never exposed him to MLB hitters this year and used him and another prospect to acquire a better pitcher with a bigger salary. All hindsight now because the Sox were absolutely rolling and Danks was killing the vibe, but s***, at least he shut teams down 1 out of 3 starts.

Edited by Jerksticks

Look at some of the recent winners around baseball (even tonight).

Junior Guerra was in our system and let go. Anyone could have had Dustin McGowan. Feldman with the Astros.

Yovanni Gallardo. Lincecum. Edinson Volquez. Colby Lewis.

The only pitcher that might have been a WORSE decision than Shields was/is arguably Ubaldo Jimenez. Even the O's announcers really detest him.

Statistically, it's almost impossible for scouts and a GM to be so wrong so often.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Now we need to take away another one of his bad starts from consideration to get to that magical 3.06 ERA. Wanna just admit that you're wrong yet? Or double down on this insanity.

I honestly can't believe this is a real person.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Look at some of the recent winners around baseball (even tonight).

Junior Guerra was in our system and let go.

That's on cooper...barely even let him pitch.

What a savvy bunch of talent evaluators. 10 runs allowed v Seattle and these hapless scouts didn't think a thing was wrong...and Hahn believed them.

But Shields still has his stuff....Cooper will fix him

Edited by GreenSox

I'm of two minds right now regarding Shields and this entire situation.

Part of me still holds out some slim hope that by firing Ventura, making some moves maybe they still have a chance.

But part of me also hopes he gets bombed every time out. Maybe total embarrassment (and owing 27 million) are the only things that would finally get it through JR's head that this entire front office needs to go. The problem with that strategy is though that even that might not move an 80 year old owner off the dime. Or maybe Shields will save everyone and pull a LaRoche and retire?

Really tough to be a Sox fan right now or for the last decade.

Mark

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)
Send him to the 15 day DL with a phantom injury, hope he figures it out in that time.

That's exactly what I would do. And have him work heavily with Coop.

I never thought that the Sox would screw up as badly as Jaime Navarro again. Boy, was I wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
9 consecutive years with over 200 innings pitched, there has to be something physically wrong...maybe not a tear, but a fraying, so to speak.

If there is something physically wrong with him, it's going to be more difficult for him to recover at age 34 than it would've been able to at age 24.

Edited by Black_Jack29