White Sox Acquire James Shields

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Yes, he has difficulty hitting the ball and throwing strikes at his age.

Then why not fire him? Obviously, he has no point to being here. It's clearly just a players game. Players get up, go out, and come back. The manager has no interaction and no influence on anything related to the team. It's so obvious!

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
Lol. Fans like you make me laugh.

Ditto.

I just happen to think that the players on the field have a lot more to do with winning and losing than the guy sitting on the bench watching.

The fans that feel the opposite befuddle me.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Then why not fire him? Obviously, he has no point to being here. It's clearly just a players game. Players get up, go out, and come back. The manager has no interaction and no influence on anything related to the team. It's so obvious!

Why pay players millions? Just get the best manager and a bunch of released guys you can pay minimum. A good manager makes them all stars.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)

Why fire him and waste more money when the players are the same? It's the players and the people who put the players (and the manager) in place that are the big difference makers.

It serves no purpose to fire the manager if nothing else changes.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
image.jpeg thought this was funny

The White Sox and CSN really built up his debut, only to be totally deflated a couple outs into his White Sox career. That was about as big of a dud debut ever. Other guys have sucked probably just as much but with zero expectation.

His first hitter he looked pretty awesome. The pitch for the strikeout was pretty much unhittable.

I don't understand why there has to be an extreme side to the fire/keep Robin argument. Nobody is saying that if he's fired that the team will suddenly rebound and win 100 games. On the other hand, nobody is saying that he's the sole reason the team has been in a horrible funk the last month either.

Yes he can only play the hand he was dealt but it's up to him to put each player in the absolute best position to succeed. Whether that's where they bat in the lineup, how often they play, telling them when to bunt, a steal, hit & run or putting the right relief pitcher in at the right time.

It's nearly impossible to put a number on how much influence a manager has his teams wins and loses but I do believe there are some that are better at in than others.

Ok guys, you fill in the blanks, in order to get this team to the point of something other than complete offensive ineptitude:

The only players who should be penciled in the lineup, unless injured or traded are:

RF or CF Eaton

1B Abreu

LF or DH Cabrera

3B Frazier

DH Morneau, when he is activated

That leaves room for another outfielder, upgrades at catcher, second base and short.

Good luck with that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
Ok guys, you fill in the blanks, in order to get this team to the point of something other than complete offensive ineptitude:

The only players who should be penciled in the lineup, unless injured or traded are:

RF or CF Eaton

1B Abreu

LF or DH Cabrera

3B Frazier

DH Morneau, when he is activated

That leaves room for another outfielder, upgrades at catcher, second base and short.

Good luck with that.

The Sox could do it. They just have to trade Adams, Anderson, and Fulmer. That's enough to add several major pieces. Ballooning the payroll to $140-150 mil probably wouldn't hurt either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
The Sox could do it. They just have to trade Adams, Anderson, and Fulmer. That's enough to add several major pieces. Ballooning the payroll to $140-150 mil probably wouldn't hurt either.

If they took on that much payroll, from a team anxious to dump salaries, I doubt that it would take all 3 of those prospects.

In any case, would you try, or simply accept this futility?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
If they took on that much payroll, from a team anxious to dump salaries, I doubt that it would take all 3 of those prospects.

In any case, would you try, or simply accept this futility?

I can't answer that any more because I'd have never let it get to this point. The real answer depends on how desperate RH and company (whoever is making the actual decisions today) are to save their jobs. If I were not desperate to save my job, I'd have let the next month play out and see if guys can break their way out of their funks. However, I also wouldn't have added Shields's salary while cutting Latos, and I wouldn't be calling Anderson up, etc. If the GM is as desperate to save his job as those moves suggest to me he is, then you've got to take the chance to move some of those guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
I can't answer that any more because I'd have never let it get to this point. The real answer depends on how desperate RH and company (whoever is making the actual decisions today) are to save their jobs. If I were not desperate to save my job, I'd have let the next month play out and see if guys can break their way out of their funks. However, I also wouldn't have added Shields's salary while cutting Latos, and I wouldn't be calling Anderson up, etc. If the GM is as desperate to save his job as those moves suggest to me he is, then you've got to take the chance to move some of those guys.

That all makes sense to me and I think that I agree with you. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
If Hahn is so bad at evaluating, why would his prospects be any good?

The only prospects that are any good are pitchers and that has little to nothing to do with Hahn. It's the only thing the Sox have ever been any good at when it comes to the farm. See 2 of the 3 names floated, for example.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 05:57 AM)
The only prospects that are any good are pitchers and that has little to nothing to do with Hahn. It's the only thing the Sox have ever been any good at when it comes to the farm. See 2 of the 3 names floated, for example.

Except for Thompson, Semien and Anderson.

What pitching have we "developed" recently? Rodon had a grand total of 10 minor league starts, that was it.

Nate Jones, I guess. But that dates back to 2012, along with Q/Santiago/Santos/Reed. Petricka, if you really want to push the definition.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Except for Thompson, Semien and Anderson.

What pitching have we "developed" recently? Rodon had a grand total of 10 minor league starts, that was it.

Nate Jones, I guess. But that dates back to 2012, along with Q/Santiago/Santos/Reed. Petricka, if you really want to push the definition.

Pssst...players continue to develop in the majors.

Edited by soxfan2014