Robin Ventura should be fired today

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
It feels like Ventura is "showing fire" and getting ejected so much recently because of past criticism that he's too passive as a manager.

He's trying to save his job by changing himself.

Reminds me of Jerry Manuel halfway through his last season with the Sox.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
It feels like Ventura is "showing fire" and getting ejected so much recently because of past criticism that he's too passive as a manager.

He's trying to save his job by changing himself.

Everything I have ever heard or read about Ventura is that he is a firey guy, but it isn't for public consumption. He has a reputation for getting into players faces as a player, but it was in the clubhouse, not in public. He has a record of getting thrown out when the umpires are particularly bad, last night was no exception.

A lot of reading into stuff that doesn't need to be read into.

His managerial career has been a disaster after not being qualified to get the job in the first place.

On whether to replace him now, I actually don't care anymore. After winning an emotional game last night, they might as well give it to the break and see where they are.

But as far as replacing Ventura, short of playing a 163rd game in October, they shouldn't re-sign him past this season...and they probably won't.

The one thing I have seen in the last week is that this team hasn't given up on this season.

Down 11-0 against Washington, they came out and scored 4 runs in the 9th.

Down 7-0 in the 4th, the White Sox came back to force extra innings, even though Detroit added on to their lead twice after Sox rallies early on, and in the 8th inning.

They could have quit in either of these games and didn't. Typically those are the litmus tests as to whether a team's heart is still in it, at least for me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
The one thing I have seen in the last week is that this team hasn't given up on this season.

Down 11-0 against Washington, they came out and scored 4 runs in the 9th.

Down 7-0 in the 4th, the White Sox came back to force extra innings, even though Detroit added on to their lead twice after Sox rallies early on, and in the 8th inning.

They could have quit in either of these games and didn't. Typically those are the litmus tests as to whether a team's heart is still in it, at least for me.

And the Mets game where they came back too. They have been doing it all season, but the fact that it keep happening after the weekend in KC shows they are still trying, even though it doesn't always seem like it in the first few innings.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
You know I would love to believe again after that awesome comeback last night but watch: we'll score one run tonight and lose again.

That's usually how it's been going. For years.

It was going this way when I watched them in the '80s.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
Melky has played singles into triples for two nights in a row.

Just because Melky is also bad, does that mean we should keep 2 bad outfielders out there? Do something... Schuck is an upgrade over both of them yet he had Schuck DH'ing. There's honestly no excuse for that. It's just the wrong decision. Coats never even got a chance really. These are easy fixes. However way you want to look at it, if you put Shuck out there whether it be for Avi or Melky, we likely save runs. Avi 's blunder resulted in several 2 out runs last night, which may have been the difference between a win and a loss.

Went to the game last night, here are my takeaways from this no good, bad, awful baseball team. These are in order which pissed me off the most yesterday.

- Avi in RF is moronic when you have Shuck at DH. You put Shuck in CF and Eaton in RF. This changes the whole game. Miggy had a ball down the RF line that hung up there forever and Avi dropped it. He's a clown out there. That cost us probably 2-3 runs and about 20 pitches for Miguel Gonzalez which cost our bullpen to work even more again.

- Melky charging the ball in LF to try and make a great play when down 6-2 or 7-2. Next thing you knew it was 9-2 I believe. If you can't get the ball just take it on the short hop. No reason to be a hero when down that much. Make the routine play.

- Eaton bunting. I mean, he was on base 5 times the night before. He had already been on base that night. He is swinging a hot bat. So Anderson is on 3rd and he tries to do a bunt single? come on! Grant it, it was a good play by Zimmerman. But swing away. Anything to the OF is getting Anderson in with his speed. Killed what could have been a nice inning with the heart of the order coming up.

- Leaving Gonzalez in there. Now I get this one. Not much you could do. Just like Purke. He was going to be in there for 50 pitches no matter what the outcome. Just so frustrating. To be honest it was 6-2 bases loaded in the worlds longest inning when he walked Kinsler on a full count bases loaded and the ump just called a strike out of mercy. That inning could of and propbaby should have been 9-2 by the end of it.

Record this year when going to Sox games 1-6!

That includes 4 games where Q or Sale pitched... so..... just wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Well, this is it for Robin. Sale either wins tonight or we have a new manager in Renteria tomorrow. It's coming, folks.

It makes sense. In fact it should have happened at the end of May, so even with a loss to Detroit-- expect to see Robin Ventura on the plane ride to Cleveland. I have very little faith in upper management to make this obvious move.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 16, 2016 -> 02:18 AM)
Shuck isn't good enough to play RF, but he's good enough to play CF.

-- Robin Logic

PS: Showcasing him be damned, Robin needs to win games, not try to trick people in to thinking Avi is a decent outfielder.

HUH???? Baseball 101. Robin would not be showcasing him , Hahn would. If he is being played to showcase, that decision is made at the GM level

Either someone wanted to see him in the field or something was wrong with Shuck or something else. There was a logical explanation. As much as some want to ingnore reality and really think Robin and his staff know nothing about baseball and don't care if they win, they know more than anyone here that Avi isn't an adequate RF defensively.