Stoney and Jason vs Stoney and Hawk

greg775

Whom do you like better  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Whom do you like better?

• Stoney and Hawk
    • Stone and Jason B

Hey, Since our team really, truly sucks I'd like to change the subject and ask you if you prefer Stoney and Jason or Stoney and Hawk. I hate to say this cause I worship Hawk, but I like Stoney-Jason better right now.

What possibly is Hawk thinking when he watches Stoney and Jason work together? They are joking incessantly and having fun despite the team's horrific play. Is Hawk thinking, "My god, Stone hates me. We never act like we are having fun!"

Sometimes Stoney and Hawk joke around, but it's not with the frivolous, energetic nature of the new tandem.

So who do you like better?

I like Stone/Jason.

Edited by greg775

I'm not a Benetti fan. He comes across as too much of a nerdy goofball. Too many questions, etc. He's probably here for a while though. On the bright side, I don't see myself watching many games in the coming years with a looming rebuild. I'd like to see former players in the booth they have a lot more to offer with in game commentary and perspective.

Edited by soxforlife05

I don't get the Hawk hate. He's a legend. Is he old and stuck in his ways, yes. Does he gripe about umps too much - yes. Does he repeat himself a little now at age 75 or whatveer - yes. SO WHAT. The guy is SO much more colorful and interesting than almost every play play buy out there save for maybe Vin and a few select others. Think of the nicknames. Think of the excitement and love for the game. Think of the incredible amount of experience he has. He knows what he's talking about. Is he biased toward the Sox. Yes and so what. He's a hometown announcer. Don't get the hate of that. And steve stone is a damn gem too. The guy knows just an insane amount about the game.

NOw - Jason. I like them. He's pleasant. His voice is solid. The stats are refreshing. But there is absolutely no CONTEXT to his games. He calls a long fly ball the same in a 2-1 9th inning game as he does a 14-2 9th inning game. No perspective. He's the Robin Venture of play by play guys as he toes the middle of the road and never shifts. His big play calls lack bite. There's potential but the guy's a little milquetoast for me.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:42 AM)
I'd like to see former players in the booth they have a lot more to offer with in game commentary and perspective.

1. This is literally all we have had for a decade since Rooney left. Four former players, all of whom should be color commentators. It's been a miserable failure. The radio booth is shambolic. Hawk is bad, and does absolutely NOTHING to bring out the best in Stone.

2. Benetti's not there to "offer in game commentary and perspective." That's not his job. He's there to handle the broadcast and elicit thoughtful commentary and perspective from Stone.

I like Hawk, but he is hard to listen to when the Sox aren't doing well. Miserable, like he's mad at you for watching. Benetti is decent and is brand new, he's only going to get better. Sticks and Stones is great.

Man, the Sox really suck right now though.

100% Jason, hands-down.

Sure some of his jokes are goofy but a lot are pretty clever and at least they're references from THIS DECADE or at least post-1960s.

Him and Stoney obviously like working together and I find their running jokes pretty hilarious. Seeing that this is going to be a long, brutal season, there's going to be a lot of dead air to fill so, yeah... I don't want that being the Hawkeroo.

Just retire already, man.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
We just had a huge thread on this that stayed on the 1st page forever . Now that it's gone you want to start another one ?

? Who cares. Would you like to talk about James Shields? I'd rather talk about announcers right now quite frankly.

I like Jason more most of the time but voted for Hawk option. Reasoning being, I like Hawk more during the good times. I feel the same emotions he does when we win or lose. I find myself yelling stretch at the TV. But when watching Jason I am just yelling by myself. Homeruns are a lot less exciting. Plays are a lot less exciting. The game feels a lot more boring.

I realize it's year one, but he could use more inflection on big plays and at big times. He's young, I'm sure he'll figure it out. He doesn't want to be a clone of Hawk, I get it. But a little excitement wouldn't hurt.

Rick Curl ‏@sptswrtrrick 13 hours ago

@WriteSox is it just me or does the duo of @stevestone and @jasonbenetti seem to get farther off base the longer they work together

Steve Stone @stevestone 13 hours ago

@sptswrtrrick @WriteSox @jasonbenetti it's just you. 7 zip dude

:lol:

Stoney is real feisty on twitter, you just have to wade into his replies to realize it.

Cub fans hate Hawk so it is hard to take criticism of him seriously. Hawk will be a Hall of Fame announcer whose unique style has added greatly to the Sox fans enjoyment of the broadcasts for many years.

As far as Benetti, what is the point of having him in the booth when he does not have a good understanding of the game? Why can't he try to stick to baseball rather than veering off into trivia, trite jokes and annoying back and forth with Stone about personal habits and preferences? Benetti is the emobidment of the Peter principle. It is annoying listening to him anymore.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

@WriteSox is it just me or does the duo of @stevestone and @jasonbenetti seem to get farther off base the longer they work together

Stoney is real feisty on twitter, you just have to wade into his replies to realize it.

LOL!!! What a perfect response.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I'm slow, I don't get it.

I just found it funny he replied to somebody complaining about the broadcast mid-game, he echoed the frustration of Sox fans (like, "It's 7-0, what would you like me to say?"), and that he used the word 'dude.'

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

Yup Stone's replies are hilarious, especially to the Cubs fans crying "WHY ARE YOU WITH DAT LOZER TEAM L0L!!!1"

When I watch a game in any sport, I listen for a few things. If the color guy is brilliant, I want the pxp man to serve him up 77 mph hangers all game and let him do his thing. I look for humor. I listen for genuine care and conversation between the two. In Bennetti and Stone's case, they have it. Hawk and Stone do not. Stone sounds excited and happy during home games and quite the opposite during away games. I cannot blame him, because Hawk's cliches, consistent interruptions and homerism get rather old.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 01:57 AM)
When I watch a game in any sport, I listen for a few things. If the color guy is brilliant, I want the pxp man to serve him up 77 mph hangers all game and let him do his thing. I look for humor. I listen for genuine care and conversation between the two. In Bennetti and Stone's case, they have it. Hawk and Stone do not. Stone sounds excited and happy during home games and quite the opposite during away games. I cannot blame him, because Hawk's cliches, consistent interruptions and homerism get rather old.

Good way to put it. Stone sounds happy at home games like you said. That's cause I'm sure he never knows what he's gonna get with Hawk. Hawk actually is too grumpy. And if he listens to the home games, which I doubt he does since that's why he wanted the time off in the first place, he'd be shocked at how much different a color man Stone is with a kid who sucks up to him rather than a grouch.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 01:57 AM)
Hawk and Stone have never had good chemistry. He had it with Tom Paciorek until he ran him out of the booth. My problems with Hawk are in the personal realm, I have no problems with his broadcasting style, which I know many of you hate. His ego, imperiousness and slavish devotion to Sox management are what bother me. As for Benetti he is a modern day cookie cutter announcer with a little extra flair, and a lot of his own brand of nerdy pop culture would be humor. There aren't going to be any more like Mel Allen, Bob Prince, Harry Caray, Ernie Harwell etc. etc. Times are much blander and vanilla in the broadcast booths these days. Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jun 11, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
Hawk and Stone have never had good chemistry. He had it with Tom Paciorek until he ran him out of the booth. My problems with Hawk are in the personal realm, I have no problems with his broadcasting style, which I know many of you hate. His ego, imperiousness and slavish devotion to Sox management are what bother me. As for Benetti he is a modern day cookie cutter announcer with a little extra flair, and a lot of his own brand of nerdy pop culture would be humor. There aren't going to be any more like Mel Allen, Bob Prince, Harry Caray, Ernie Harwell etc. etc. Times are much blander and vanilla in the broadcast booths these days.

Very true. He is cookie cutter. But most cookie cutter guys don't cut as many jokes as he does.