Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

I'm all for DFAing Rollins, but nothing I've read about Anderson this year suggests that he's ready yet. And with Carlos Sanchez available as an option to fill Rollins' role, I think it's a dumb move. It's one thing to waste $30M on Shields, but rushing your only really good position player prospect in the last several years may be an even dumber move in the long-term.

Edited by Black_Jack29

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm all for DFAing Rollins, but nothing I've read about Anderson this year suggests that he's ready yet. And with Carlos Sanchez available as an option to fill Rollins' role, I think it's a dumb move. It's one thing to waste $30M on Shields, but rushing your only really good position player prospect in the last several years may be an even dumber move in the long-term.

The main concern to me would be how would he handle it if he did come up and fail. So far he's had some failure on just about every level and overcame it.

I think the big worry in rushing a prospect is if he does real poorly, you can lose him forever. I don't think Anderson is in that boat. I do question if he is currently capable of upgrading the position.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Anderson coming up a couple weeks before his 23rd birthday. Pretty great for him and the Sox organization.

It starts his hero clock. If he is as good as we hope, we will be officially hero worshipping in no time, and he will be currency to get some prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
The main concern to me would be how would he handle it if he did come up and fail. So far he's had some failure on just about every level and overcame it.

I think the big worry in rushing a prospect is if he does real poorly, you can lose him forever. I don't think Anderson is in that boat. I do question if he is currently capable of upgrading the position.

According to fangraphs the Sox are 25 in baseball ss. Negative in war. So anything that helps

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
It starts his hero clock. If he is as good as we hope, we will be officially hero worshipping in no time, and he will be currency to get some prospects.

I have no idea what this means.

A drafted player is coming up before he's 23 and is playing up the middle. This should be applauded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

It's difficult to tell at this point if rushing Anderson will have a permanent, negative impact on him. Given the current mediocre state of the Sox farm system, I'd error on the side of caution.

I do agree with your last sentence, and that alone makes this a dumb move, IMO. Saladino is better defensively than Anderson and I don't see any evidence that Anderson would put up the .700 or so OPS that would merit his presence in the lineup.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
I have no idea what this means.

A drafted player is coming up before he's 23 and is playing up the middle. This should be applauded.

He is making fun of a certain fan of the sox that favors the color green

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
It's difficult to tell at this point if rushing Anderson will have a permanent, negative impact on him. Given the current mediocre state of the Sox farm system, I'd error on the side of caution.

I do agree with your last sentence, and that alone makes this a dumb move, IMO. Saladino is better defensively than Anderson and I don't see any evidence that Anderson would put up the .700 or so OPS that would merit his presence in the lineup.

Hopefully he will pull a Trayce Thompson.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Hopefully he will pull a Trayce Thompson.

Yep.

I'm wondering if Hahn's decision to go with Anderson over Sanchez is partly because he's planning on dealing Sanchez closer to the deadline. Not that Sanchez is highly coveted or anything, but a packing containing him, Avi, and a decent prospect may be able to land a halfway decent bat.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Playing time- does Saladino start more or does Anderson? Is Anderson being used more as a PH/pinch run?

You won't see Saladino at SS except when/if Anderson has a rotten run at the plate

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)

No, it would be THEY (other fanbases) hero-worshiping him. But he'd have to be in the NL, have bad splits, play on a terrible team and have 2 years or less on his contract to qualify. And he'd have to be nearing 30 or over.

Edited by GreenSox