Tim Anderson Called up...Rollins DFA'd

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 12:28 AM)
Keith Law was on ESPN 1000 yesterday, and basically said the opposite. With Anderson lacking any type of real patience, he worries about him hitting at this level right now, not as much about the defense. Just FWIW.

Wouldnt this be the case whether he comes up now or later. Pretty much been said he's had a lack of patience in the past unless something starts clicking over night will be a continued thing.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you expect his numbers to be similar to Rollins and Saladino, it really makes no sense to call him up. They must project him to be better. I hope so, but think if he is called up, and it sure seems like that is the case, it most likely is a bit premature. I think he will struggle offensively initially, hopefully not to the point to where he is called anothe Sox bust.

I think another couple months in Charlotte would do him some good. But desperate times call for desperate measures. The one positive is IMO, this could help him be ready from the get go in 2017.

The irony of this situation is that if we had started out 10-23, then went 20-7:

1) We'd still have Danks puttering along (instead of James Shields)

2) We wouldn't be so close to jettisoning Garcia (Sands already gone)

3) There would be more patience about bringing up Anderson, as it would be to strengthen a weakness rather than a desperation move to spark the offense and create some excitement (possibly to excite the fans as well)

4) Latos would still be on the team with his 6-2 record

5) There wouldn't be nearly as much pressure on Ventura and Hahn

6) Burdi might not have been drafted with the idea he could help the bullpen at the end of this season (see Sale, 2010)

So, all in all, these are mostly good/positive things...to have this sense of urgency and immediacy, that they can't let the Indians get out too far ahead of them but need to start winning these AL Central match-ups immediately, starting this weekend against KC.

Also, need to start defending our home field advantage.

Edited by caulfield12

Garcia has a 513 OPS so far this month.

A 686 overall OPS just isn't going to cut it. The team average against RHP is 688, at least it was about a week ago, which was 2nd worst in the AL.

If your ENTIRE JOB is to hit, and you're still not even as good as the average positional player on an average or slightly below average offensive team at that particular task, then you're not long for the majors.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:03 AM)
He will most likely stick up as a fourth OFer at this point. I don't see them sending him anywhere

I'm not saying you're wrong cause I have no idea what the sox will do but I have no clue what the point in keeping him around as a 4th outfielder does. His skillset or lack thereof is pretty awful for a 4th of.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
Maybe used in trading for better bat?

That would be amazing but we would need a willing partner who sees value in him. His biggest weakness is pitch recognition and that's really hard to "develop"

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
I'm not saying you're wrong cause I have no idea what the sox will do but I have no clue what the point in keeping him around as a 4th outfielder does. His skillset or lack thereof is pretty awful for a 4th of.

Agreed but it's like them to continue to invest time in his "talent"

I'd personally like to see Garcia down to aaa and bring up one of:

Coats, bourgeois, Hayes, etc.

Why not? I truly in my heart think they could do the same job. Garcia has proven to be a commodity on his hot streaks but a big liability otherwise.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
They should probably wait for Saladino to outplay Rollins before getting rid of Rollins

He's been doing that for a while.

I don't see a compelling reason to DFA Rollins though. For one thing, he's killed LH pitching this year (although in small sample sizes). Perhaps should still stick around to take some at bats against lefties, even as DH, PH. If Ventura did that platoon thing.

Coats or Hayes don't make sense unless you're going to actually play them.

That's where Bourgeois or Leury Garcia do make some sense, if you're not going with Carlos Sanchez.

The thing is, the front office making all these decision is not going to put more than one rookie (possibly Anderson) into the line-up at the same time. Not if they're 100% in "win now" mode.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/...3/jimmy-rollins

Last three years for Rollins. 689 OPS vs. lefties, 671 vs. RHP.

676 total (three year composite)...he's at 624 right now with declining defense.

That's not compelling evidence for making him a full-time DH against LHP. For that to be the case, his split should be 800+, at least 750-775 minimum because all he's doing is hitting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 07:21 AM)
They should probably wait for Saladino to outplay Rollins before getting rid of Rollins

What metric are you looking at that suggests Rollins has outplayed Saladino? Tyler has been better than him offensively, defensively, & on the bases. Short of WAR, which is a counting stat, nothing suggests Rollins has been the better player.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 11:34 PM)
Don't think Anderson's coming up. He's kind of cooled off the last 2+ weeks.

I feel like ive seen this said a few times now.. hes hitting .297 in June with an OPS over .700

Hasn't walked yet, but only 8 games and well that's not much of a shock anyways..

Man, that dude is killing lefties.. .346 avg with 3 homers and a .900 OPS in 81 ABs

Edited by TRU