2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
No we are a patrick beverly away from a title.

Beverley kind of fits next to Butler. If the Bulls are going to stay the course, at least Beverley makes sense from a roster construction standpoint. But I don't know what the Bulls have that would provide any value to the Rockets whatsoever.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw a report on Rotoworld saying that the Bulls are requiring Crowder in Butler talks and the Celtics don't want to budge. I must say, IF this is true, the Bulls are absolute morons here. There's so many other pieces that would be a better fit for them. Crowder is amazing, but he is a role player. Get the picks lolol.

Seriously, smh. Bulls organization is hilariously bad, but np people will still sell out the UC!

GarPax needs to s*** or get off the pot. Doing nothing is unacceptable. If they are under the illusion they are contenders, they need to strengthen their roster. If they realize they don't have enough, they need to start selling parts. If they do nothing, it is confirmation they are either all about the Benjamins, or totally inept at evaluating their players or both.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
GarPax needs to s*** or get off the pot. Doing nothing is unacceptable. If they are under the illusion they are contenders, they need to strengthen their roster. If they realize they don't have enough, they need to start selling parts. If they do nothing, it is confirmation they are either all about the Benjamins, or totally inept at evaluating their players or both.

Yep...I think they have to move a combination of Lopez / Taj / Niko (at a minimum) and I presume they will do everything they can to move Rondo (doesn't mean they'll get anything). In Taj's case, it comes down to whether they intend to sign him or not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)

I agree.

Unfortunately now we know - Gar and Michael Reinsdorf are happy with simply treading water and making money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
When is the last time the Bulls made a good trade?

Simply for the fact that they ditched a rapidly declining and disinterested player, I would say trading Rose to the Knicks was good

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
When is the last time the Bulls made a good trade?

They haven't made a lot of them. I thought the Salmons deal was a good one (years ago). When we moved various pieces to clear cap in the original Lebron fa summer, those were largely solid moves. The Deng cap dump wasn't awful (although it looks more awful since we never moved Pau). I don't think we've made any bad deals, the real argument you have with the Bulls could be the moves we didn't make, but that is hard to say. I know I would not be happy if we pulled the trigger on any of the deals I've seen rumored / reportedly offered, especially the ones for Butler around the time of the draft.

None of us know what we offered for Cousins. My biggest beef with the Bulls has been that in recent years we have stunk in player development. This could mean we have stunk drafting good players or that we stunk in player develoment or it could be a combination of the two. I personally think a bigger issue has been the player development side, but that is more because Paxson has a pretty long-term record of being a very good drafter (and a lot of various statistics back up the fact that under Paxson the Bulls have been one of the best drafting teams in the league). That said, over time Gar has taken a greater role and one of the Bulls top scouts left for Orlando and since those things occurred, we haven't really seen us draft & develop our own players very well.

I still think Niko has a ton of talent (even though I can't stand him) and I can't figure out how we don't play Denzel more. He clearly has select tools that should work, albeit, I'd be the first to admit his athleticism is a bit limited. He can shoot and pass quite well and I haven't seen enough of him to say he is a defensive sieve.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Niko and Doug and Portis and whoever else you want to throw in there are still going to be bad players when/if they get out of here, I'm pretty positive on that.

On Portis, I probably agree...although he has enough offensive skill that he should be a serviceable bench player. Niko and Doug I disagree with. Doug should fit in the right space / system and Niko has improved significantly on the defensive side of the ball. He takes dumb shots and is having an awful shooting year, but in this NBA, should be very effective. I actually wouldn't be opposed to giving him an extension (if he was willing to take one based upon his current play vs. the upside).

Denver is apparently making a run at Jimmy. With Jokic off limits, there's nothing there I want for Jimmy.

Also apparently the Bulls and Sixers have a deal in place for Okafor, but the Sixers are balking at taking Niko back.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account‏@WojVerticalNBA 2h2 hours ago

Chicago has continued to push on a trade for 76ers center Jahlil Okafor, league sources tell @TheVertical. Discussions continue.

where all da trades at... guess tomorrow is gonna be a busy day

I would put money on that we don't make a trade

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account‏@WojVerticalNBA 2h2 hours ago

Chicago has continued to push on a trade for 76ers center Jahlil Okafor, league sources tell @TheVertical. Discussions continue.

where all da trades at... guess tomorrow is gonna be a busy day

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 10:10 PM)
Denver is apparently making a run at Jimmy. With Jokic off limits, there's nothing there I want for Jimmy.

Also apparently the Bulls and Sixers have a deal in place for Okafor, but the Sixers are balking at taking Niko back.

We've got greek freak, unicorn and trust the process in just our conference and we try to counter with somebody more suited for 1998 nba than 2017 and going forward? #facepalm.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
They haven't made a lot of them. I thought the Salmons deal was a good one (years ago). When we moved various pieces to clear cap in the original Lebron fa summer, those were largely solid moves. The Deng cap dump wasn't awful (although it looks more awful since we never moved Pau). I don't think we've made any bad deals, the real argument you have with the Bulls could be the moves we didn't make, but that is hard to say. I know I would not be happy if we pulled the trigger on any of the deals I've seen rumored / reportedly offered, especially the ones for Butler around the time of the draft.

None of us know what we offered for Cousins. My biggest beef with the Bulls has been that in recent years we have stunk in player development. This could mean we have stunk drafting good players or that we stunk in player develoment or it could be a combination of the two. I personally think a bigger issue has been the player development side, but that is more because Paxson has a pretty long-term record of being a very good drafter (and a lot of various statistics back up the fact that under Paxson the Bulls have been one of the best drafting teams in the league). That said, over time Gar has taken a greater role and one of the Bulls top scouts left for Orlando and since those things occurred, we haven't really seen us draft & develop our own players very well.

I still think Niko has a ton of talent (even though I can't stand him) and I can't figure out how we don't play Denzel more. He clearly has select tools that should work, albeit, I'd be the first to admit his athleticism is a bit limited. He can shoot and pass quite well and I haven't seen enough of him to say he is a defensive sieve.

The Salmons deal cost us a draft pick that turned into Isaiah Thomas.

Some interesting, Bulls-related tidbits from the latest The Lowe Post:

• If a deal with Boston goes down, it will be 10 minutes before the deadline
  • He sees the Celtics relenting and offering BRO17 and two of four players Chicago wants (Bradley, Brown, Crowder, Smart)
  • Does not see Crowder being moved due to his team-friendly contract
  • Actually sees Bradley as a big possibility to move as he'll be due a new contract in the next 1.5 years
  • There's talk of Philly cutting out the middle man and making a play for Paul George or Jimmy Butler around young assets (including Okafor) and upcoming picks.

If I were betting, I'd put my money on the Bulls doing nothing this deadline, but I hope you enjoyed reading!

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)
The Salmons deal cost us a draft pick that turned into Isaiah Thomas.

The Bulls had 3 chances that draft to pick Isaiah Thomas, he was the very last pick. The deal made no difference, the Bulls chose not to draft him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:55 AM)
The Bulls had 3 chances that draft to pick Isaiah Thomas, he was the very last pick. The deal made no difference, the Bulls chose not to draft him

As did much of the league.

The league also mostly ignored him when the Kings gave him away. The league also mostly ignored him when the Suns gave him away.

Let's not get revisionist and act like anyone anywhere knew IT2 would go nuclear.

Happy Deadline Day!

The GMs are finishing their morning coffee, eggs, and bacon, save Gar Forman who's just now finishing up his second trough and will be having the mud hosed off from his body shortly to begin his day. They'll get active soon!

MrW5mUX.gif