2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
To be fair, if the Heat don't open with 1 year/$10 million, Wade never leaves Miami.

And if Wade grew up in Kentucky he doesn't sign with the Bulls. All the stars aligned for that one, but that is what the Bulls can do in free agency. Sign 35 year olds who grew up Bulls fans who get lowballed by their current team.

Until or unless they get a Michael or Lebron or put together what Golden State put together, big time free agents aren't coming to freeze their ass off to be a 7th or 8th seed.

A

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
They don't have the pieces to get Jahlil Okafor.

I don't think we are the right team for Okafor. In a firesale, I do think I'd like to get him, but I highly doubt they want a package built around McDermott & Niko (for example). I think New Orleans makes a ton of sense for him (which is the rumor Jrue Holiday for Okafor deal) in the sense that Davis would cover up a ton of Okafor's weaknesses (i.e, that he is a defensive sieve and poor rebounder and help his strengths...which is that he looks like he can be a well above average offensive big man). The question I have is what does Philly want with Jrue...could there be a 3rd team involved to get Jrue as I could see that being the type of move the Bulls would be interested in.

Trade deadline is getting closer and either Bulls need to make moves to try and get better now (probably something I wouldn't agree with unless it had a longer term benefit...ie, player around another few years) or they need to make moves to ensure they have assets in the future (ie. don't like Niko just walk, if you can get something for him that helps us down the road, do it now, before you lose an asset (and I call him that loosely at this point) for nothing. I do think with better coaching Niko is a good player (borderline starter and he easily should be a well above average bench piece).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
And if Wade grew up in Kentucky he doesn't sign with the Bulls. All the stars aligned for that one, but that is what the Bulls can do in free agency. Sign 35 year olds who grew up Bulls fans who get lowballed by their current team.

Until or unless they get a Michael or Lebron or put together what Golden State put together, big time free agents aren't coming to freeze their ass off to be a 7th or 8th seed.

A

If you have $58M to spend, you have a chance to convince two guys to come play with Butler at which point you are in a great spot. The problem is, how likely is it that there will be two guys available. I think the plan has to get good role players via the trade while becoming a true contender via free agency (surrounding talent around Jimmy). I'd say a key will be landing a free agent this year and then again the following year (when Wade would come off the books). If Wade ultimately walks, then it might be more critical to land two pieces immediately. Gar / Pax also have to be very very slick / smart in how they manage their assets to ensure they keep payroll flexibility while ensuring they have good enough teams to be attractive enough to the point where two guys would look at Butler and the "supporting" cast and saying, hey, this team can go from 7th seed to 1st seed.

Being in a major market and the eastern conference should only help that cause, especially as Lebron is starting to get older (although still amazing).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
If you have $58M to spend, you have a chance to convince two guys to come play with Butler at which point you are in a great spot. The problem is, how likely is it that there will be two guys available. I think the plan has to get good role players via the trade while becoming a true contender via free agency (surrounding talent around Jimmy). I'd say a key will be landing a free agent this year and then again the following year (when Wade would come off the books). If Wade ultimately walks, then it might be more critical to land two pieces immediately. Gar / Pax also have to be very very slick / smart in how they manage their assets to ensure they keep payroll flexibility while ensuring they have good enough teams to be attractive enough to the point where two guys would look at Butler and the "supporting" cast and saying, hey, this team can go from 7th seed to 1st seed.

Being in a major market and the eastern conference should only help that cause, especially as Lebron is starting to get older (although still amazing).

I feel like this has been the plan before........

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Wow!

another angle

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
I'm honestly surprised that hasn't been a rumor given how hard we tried to sign him.

The Knicks have been starting rumors with teams they want players from. There is pretty much no one from the Bulls worth mentioning in a trade rumor outside of Butler, and they don't match up anyway.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:54 PM)
No matter how bad the Bulls drama gets...there's always the knicks

Again, the Knicks have a generational talent that if he maxes out and stays healthy front offices will have to gameplan for. The Bulls have a guy, while REALLY good, is probably the 6th best player at his own position. LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Giannis and George. I guess George and Butler is the most debatable. so at best 5th best.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Again, the Knicks have a generational talent that if he maxes out and stays healthy front offices will have to gameplan for.

And again. You're better than that. One of the very few here that actually knows basketball, don't make me question your knowledge for the first time son. ;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Again, the Knicks have a generational talent that if he maxes out and stays healthy front offices will have to gameplan for. The Bulls have a guy, while REALLY good, is probably the 6th best player at his own position. LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Giannis and George. I guess George and Butler is the most debatable. so at best 5th best.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
The path doesn't mean anything until the proper development occurs. If the goal is to suck to be better, the Pirates and Royals took 30 years. The Jags have been in the top 10 of the NFL draft for how long? What about the Browns? Jimmy Butler could retire in 10 years with the Bulls hovering around the .500 mark each of those seasons, and they still might be closer. One guy in the NBA can make all the difference. In the next 20 years, the Bulls may have a shot or two at one of them.

In the NBA if you aren't one of the top 3-4 teams you basically have no shot at all of winning it all. In the MLB and NFL all you really need to do is be a playoff contender and then get hot at the right time. It's much easier to become a playoff contender than it is to become a top 3 team in the NBA. Especially the MLB, where due to general variance a true talent 78-81 win team can sneak into the playoffs if a couple things go right, and at that point it's basically a crapshoot. Just look at how many different teams have won a title. Only 11 different teams in the NBA have won a title since 1980. In the MLB 11 different teams have a won a title since 2001. And with the second wildcard it's never been easier to make the playoffs, which is all you really need to do to have a shot to win a title.

The Zinger is 21 years old, can hit from anywhere, and blocks shots like a madman.

I think generational talent is a stretch depending on definition. IF generational talent equals = Jordan, LeBron, possibly LaMelo Ball (I just had to find a way to mention him today), then no.

If it means someone on the level of a Dirk Nowitzki or Carmelo Anthony or Chris Paul, then yes. I believe Porzingis will be top 10 in PER for a decade.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 01:54 AM)
The bulls have the worst front office in chicago right?

Well, let's see, the same ownership runs the White Sox so...that's not great. And the Bears...yes they've got things seemingly better right now, but 2 years ago Trestman/Emery were the guys employed by that ownership. The Bulls have taken a narrow lead at best.