White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/cent...nez-antony.html

It still seems like a fairly remote possibility that the White Sox will end up trading southpaw Chris Sale; indeed, rival executives who have spoken with the Chicago front office get the impression that the odds of a deal remain low, according to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford. That doesn’t mean that clubs aren’t trying to see what it’d take to reach a deal, though, and ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden provides an entertaining effort at identifying what kinds of trade packages could be negotiated with some major contenders.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Collins, Engel, Michalzewski, and Sanchez

None of these are sure things, Engel will be a thrill if he makes it to the big leagues as a starter, let alone impact starter we would not look for improvement on. Sanchez is maybe a backup. Trey is still so young and far to count on for 2018, and Collins we are hoping to be a catcher.

If that is your hope it just proves we really really need to change directions. That group there is likely putting us at bottom 5 as a core.

I think Sanchez is a quality everyday player. Not a star, but a guy like Joey Cora who plays a really good second base and can get on base. I am not sold that Collins will stick as a catcher, if he hits the way most of us think he will, they are not going to be patient enough to wait on his defense to come around.

No, none of them are sure things, but they are what we have. Thats why making a deal shipping out Sale could really help the franchise fill in these potential gaps. The Sox need to work on stacking the farm system so they can start growing the pipeline like Boston, Texas, and the Cubs have done.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Collins, Engel, Michalzewski, and Sanchez should all be able to fill in holes by then. Catcher is the biggest concern right now with none under contract for next year and nothing in the minors that is going to be ready to contribute.

Which is why I think they'll be extra patient with Collins to keep him behind the plate. Late 2018 should be the limit for him to come up and catch, if he can't stay there by then he's a 1B/DH

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
I think Sanchez is a quality everyday player. Not a star, but a guy like Joey Cora who plays a really good second base and can get on base. I am not sold that Collins will stick as a catcher, if he hits the way most of us think he will, they are not going to be patient enough to wait on his defense to come around.

No, none of them are sure things, but they are what we have. Thats why making a deal shipping out Sale could really help the franchise fill in these potential gaps. The Sox need to work on stacking the farm system so they can start growing the pipeline like Boston, Texas, and the Cubs have done.

I agree with what you posted. The reason I mention Sanchez is one we haven't shown the patience to develop him but two, I'd like to have a team where Carlos is the worst player on it. I don't want it where we rely on him to have a career year. He is going to be someone you constantly expect to replace.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Assuming we stay the course and go for it again in 2017, 2018 looks kind of scary. They have only a handful of position players under control...Abreu, Eaton, Anderson, Saladino...that is a lot of holes to fill somehow.

I dont think it's that scary. You have your core of those guys, plus you will be adding atleast Collins, Engel, Trey M, and maybe Jake Peter and you should have enough flexibility to add in FA and trade for other pieces.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
I'd still be stunned if someone traded for sale considering the price.

When Boston's pitching gets rocked in the playoffs, Dombrowski will call Hahn and tell him he can have Betts+++++ for Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)

I read that earlier, Bowdens proposed packages were insufficient to what I consider fair value in the market.

I really like the idea of a trade with the Dodgers at this point. Keeps Sale out of the AL and more likely to provide a group of prospects that fit.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
I dont think it's that scary. You have your core of those guys, plus you will be adding atleast Collins, Engel, Trey M, and maybe Jake Peter and you should have enough flexibility to add in FA and trade for other pieces.

Don't worry guys, we have the catcher we just drafted and a bunch of unranked prospects. Should be the offensive onslaught we were waiting for.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Don't worry guys, we have the catcher we just drafted and a bunch of unranked prospects. Should be the offensive onslaught we were waiting for.

I think we're turning a corner in developing hitters. Just my opinion. They were gona draft Benintendi before Boston took him. That's good to know because he's turned into a stud

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Problem is this...the price is so high for Sale (reasonably though) that whoever trades all their farm talent for him will become the next...White Sox.

Not really. If Boston did it, they're still Boston.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Problem is this...the price is so high for Sale (reasonably though) that whoever trades all their farm talent for him will become the next...White Sox.

The reason Boston is a match is they graduated a bunch of talent already into their farm and have a strong offensive core. Same with LA. There's a reason nobody is mentioning Seager.

Cooper on Sale

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/07/27/don...oing-to-happen/

“He’s a passionate kid,” Cooper said. “Here’s what I know about Chris Sale: He’s a good kid, got a good heart. I see him do many, many good things. His head, the way it works for pitching, he’s driven. He’s competing. Sometimes, you know it’s stuff we’ve talked to Chris about over the years, it’s very little about mechanics. It’s been some. It’s very little pitch selection, there’s been some. It’s controlling the moment, it’s controlling the head. Whenever he gets angry, sometimes he directs that anger at himself. And my saying is, if the cockpit is out of control, the plane is going to crash. It has never worked for Chris (getting that angry and producing good results).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
The reason Boston is a match is they graduated a bunch of talent already into their farm and have a strong offensive core. Same with LA. There's a reason nobody is mentioning Seager.

This is what makes it a unique opportunity. Boston is so stacked with hitters, at both the major and minor league level, that could not only conceivably meet the price for Sale, but actually withstand it. I still don't think it will happen, but it is uniquely possible.

Dave Cameron has a Fangraphs chat today, and I submitted this question:

"If the Red Sox were willing to include both Moncada and Benintendi for Sale, do you think the White Sox would make the trade?"

His answer:

"Yes.

But I don't think Boston would do that."

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)

Boston would develop new replacements quickly; that's one reason why they are so willing to trade. They're not great on the pitching side, though.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Boston would develop new replacements quickly; that's one reason why they are so willing to trade. They're not great on the pitching side, though.

Easy to say, harder to do. They probably won't be drafting top 10 for a while. Internationally they have been penalized both for cheating and overspending.

Red Sox could also sign someone else to play third at some point (have Travis Shaw there now as a stop gap). I've written off Sandoval at third for them as I think if they don't cut him, he'll be in the mix at 1B and DH with Hanley post-Ortiz era. They could also make Pomeranz available in the off-season. Point is they can still bring in talent and dealing both Benintendi and Moncada wouldn't be end of the world (especially when you still have Bogaerts, Betts, Bradley and Pedroia there). I mean it's not like they'd just be giving them away. They'd be getting a proven front of the rotation arm for Christ's sake.

Edited by soxfan2014