New Ballpark Name

shysocks

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
They might be a laughingstock. It's not because of the Ballpark name though. It's pretty funny when a team that hasn't won a title in 109 years throws shade along with another one that hasn't won a title in 30 years. Good times.

That's true.

I almost expected the Cubs to make fun of it, as they have no class, but I was pretty surprised that the Bears commented on it too. Sox fans comprise part of their fanbase, so I'm not sure why the Bears thought it was a good idea to tweet about it when it doesn't have anything to do with them.

Whatever.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
That's true.

I almost expected the Cubs to make fun of it, as they have no class, but I was pretty surprised that the Bears commented on it too. Sox fans comprise part of their fanbase, so I'm not sure why the Bears thought it was a good idea to tweet about it when it doesn't have anything to do with them.

Whatever.

Because 90 percent of this thread is making fun of it too? They know it's not going to hurt their fan base by poking a little fun at something everyone else is too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Local TV revenue and advertising is 100% based on the perception of the fan base. Bigger fan bases, mean more people are watching and listening to games, which means more eyes for advertisers, and more money for the local teams.

Correct but you missed the point. If JR looks at the balance sheet and says based on present revenue and expenses, he is please with the results, he has no incentive to improve the product on the field. However, if he is determined for success on the field, then he will do what it takes to improve the team even if it affects the bottom line. Going back to my example w Tampa, why would an owner stay in a situation where attendance has been terrible and push for a new stadium. Wouldn't it make more sense to move and find a bigger potential fan base??

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Correct but you missed the point. If JR looks at the balance sheet and says based on present revenue and expenses, he is please with the results, he has no incentive to improve the product on the field. However, if he is determined for success on the field, then he will do what it takes to improve the team even if it affects the bottom line. Going back to my example w Tampa, why would an owner stay in a situation where attendance has been terrible and push for a new stadium. Wouldn't it make more sense to move and find a bigger potential fan base??

This is silly. Of course there is an incentive. Look at the revenues for 2006.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Just the idea of "Guaranteed Rate" carved into actual concrete at 35th and Shields is cringe worthy.

US Cellular just doesn't seem so intrusive...maybe because US at least seems or feels like it could be patriotic or something you might be able to be proud about.

About the only positive I can think of is their ability to execute and leverage this agreement to also sign a NEW deal with a cell phone service provider that brings in another revenue stream. If they don't take advantage of that, you'd have a difficult time arguing the benefits financially outweigh the negatives (already discussed for multiple pages) that come with this agreement.

Guaranteed Fail

Down arrows...

Guaranteed cheap seats they can't give away

Guaranteed Dysfunction

Guaranteed Bullpen Blowup

Guaranteed Matt Albers Appearance

Guaranteed Parking Profits

Ok...all of you are beyond ridiculous. If this were 2005 and the White Sox were winning, no one would care. The reality is this gives money to keep the stadium nice, making it a more attractive place to watch the game, while also providing the Sox with some additional revenue opportunities (other cell deals + the fact that as part of this they inked a separate deal with Guaranteed Rate). And you know what, none of you have to call it anything other then Sox park or Comiskey. You can call it whatever you want.

This deal has absolutely zero correlation with the White Sox current track record / on field performance and if anything, should give some slight positives in the sense that they should have some additional revenue that could actually go to the club payroll as a result of this. No fan is not going to go because of the stadium name, etc, and no player is going to play worse because there is a downward arrow on a sponsor's logo (and if they are creative they can tie it into some marketing, where Sox pitchers ERA's continue to trend lower..just like the rates you can get on your next mortgage from Guaranteed rate.

I realize the Sox suck, but all of your a bunch of overreacting whiners who would whine about anything vs. focusing on whining about what matters (the product ON the field).

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
Guaranteed rate of losing baseball under the current ownership.

And if instead the team was winning, you could turn it absolutely around. Again, it is a non story. Team needs to fix its act from a player development perspective and the FOCUS should be on that, not on this nonsense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Ok...all of you are beyond ridiculous. If this were 2005 and the White Sox were winning, no one would care. The reality is this gives money to keep the stadium nice, making it a more attractive place to watch the game, while also providing the Sox with some additional revenue opportunities (other cell deals + the fact that as part of this they inked a separate deal with Guaranteed Rate). And you know what, none of you have to call it anything other then Sox park or Comiskey. You can call it whatever you want.

This deal has absolutely zero correlation with the White Sox current track record / on field performance and if anything, should give some slight positives in the sense that they should have some additional revenue that could actually go to the club payroll as a result of this. No fan is not going to go because of the stadium name, etc, and no player is going to play worse because there is a downward arrow on a sponsor's logo (and if they are creative they can tie it into some marketing, where Sox pitchers ERA's continue to trend lower..just like the rates you can get on your next mortgage from Guaranteed rate.

I realize the Sox suck, but all of your a bunch of overreacting whiners who would whine about anything vs. focusing on whining about what matters (the product ON the field).

But they aren't winning and they do suck and we've all been complaining about the product on the field for years and nothing has changed. This is just like an extra (albeit minor and silly) nut punch from a franchise going nowhere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)

Maybe the problem is instead of worrying about the product on the field ownership is more interested in changing the name of the field so they can have more options to make money without putting a good product on the field.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Trolls? Look at all the people on here who think this is a disgrace. What is Guaranteed Rate? Nobody's ever heard of the company. It should be spun in a negative way BTW, it's embarrassing.

If I was an owner, I'd be the first to have corporate logo's all over my teams jerseys too. Why, cause it would give me the most resources to put the best and most competitive team on the field, period, which ultimately should be my ultimate goal. This deal does nothing to hinder that ability (and if anything, gives additional resources and will ensure a very nice ballpark experience as that is money that can continue to go into keeping the park nice).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 04:21 AM)
People laughing about the name of the park in which you had no role naming? Oh my God. How are you guys going to cope? Get counseling.

The internet is upset...but don't worry, a week from now...they'll have forgotten and the world will move on. If anything, look at the positives. A few years after the US Cellular naming convention, we had a way better stadium that hosted a world series championship!!!

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
Maybe the problem is instead of worrying about the product on the field ownership is more interested in changing the name of the field so they can have more options to make money without putting a good product on the field.

This is a franchise that has turned over the entire roster in the last few years, and has made a ton of moves specifically in the last two years. The problem isn't worrying about the product on the field. The execution hasn't been there, but it hasn't been for a lack of effort.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
If I was an owner, I'd be the first to have corporate logo's all over my teams jerseys too. Why, cause it would give me the most resources to put the best and most competitive team on the field, period, which ultimately should be my ultimate goal. This deal does nothing to hinder that ability (and if anything, gives additional resources and will ensure a very nice ballpark experience as that is money that can continue to go into keeping the park nice).

I feel same way about jersey sponsors.

Look at these guys. They don't seem to mind their sponsors all over their jersey.

rsz_juventus-scudetto.jpg

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
This is a franchise that has turned over the entire roster in the last few years, and has made a ton of moves specifically in the last two years. The problem isn't worrying about the product on the field. The execution hasn't been there, but it hasn't been for a lack of effort.

No this is a franchise that has refused to rebuild and have made numerous questionable off season moves cause they believed we were only a few players away from competing, the moves are enough to tease the fans to thing we are doing the right thing but in all honesty we are not, now we have a bad product on the field no minor league talent but we have a great new name of the ballpark.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:29 PM)
But they aren't winning and they do suck and we've all been complaining about the product on the field for years and nothing has changed. This is just like an extra (albeit minor and silly) nut punch from a franchise going nowhere.

Another day another minor ignominy for Sox fans to absorb.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)
No this is a franchise that has refused to rebuild and have made numerous questionable off season moves cause they believed we were only a few players away from competing, the moves are enough to tease the fans to thing we are doing the right thing but in all honesty we are not, now we have a bad product on the field no minor league talent but we have a great new name of the ballpark.

Just because they aren't doing it the way YOU want it done is irrelevant. They have made a ton of moves the last few years, again, they just haven't worked out. They know there is a problem, and are trying to fix it. It just isn't the way that most people want to see. But they are trying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)

Acccording to you, the franchise is in a funk because of it's lack of loyal fan support… if you're gonna switch lanes, kindly use your turn signal...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Just because they aren't doing it the way YOU want it done is irrelevant. They have made a ton of moves the last few years, again, they just haven't worked out. They know there is a problem, and are trying to fix it. It just isn't the way that most people want to see. But they are trying.

I just have no clue why you keep defending the way this franchise is run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)

maybe thats the problem, they are not doing what everyone else can easily see they should be doing.

By the way, Rick Hahn is probably not spending any time on this deal. They have other people in charge of that. Bottom line, I've been the first to say the Sox have to change the way they do things. They have continuously put out teams which have performed far worse than their perceived paper notions and while that can happen occasionally, when it continuously happens it is a major problem and things have to change. Whether Jerry changes people or not, who knows, it certainly would appear that the GM/President will be back for another year with a new manager and the big question will be what direction does the team head. If we don't see concrete changes this off-season (given some of the bold statements they have made), then they will continue to irritate fans and hey, that is on them for what have been real failures in actual performance.