New Ballpark Name

shysocks

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
No. I actually am totally against publicly funded stadiums. I'm just showing that this deal is a positive for taxpayers of IL. That is what really matters. The state will get more money. I don't know if Guaranteed Rate is a good company or not, I would imagine they were vetted, but we can find lawsuits and huge fines with any large company. If JP Morgan Chase bought the rights would anyone complain? They have been fined billions of dollars.

I'd probably call it foreclosure fraud field.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
In reality, is someone not going to buy tickets to a game because of the name of the stadium? I highly doubt it. They're going to not buy tickets because the product on the field is bad. If the Sox somehow make the right moves, compete, and make it to the playoffs in 2017, no one will care what the name of the stadium is.

All that being said, they have to fix the problems on the field.

This about sums it up for me, but some additional thoughts. The name is very bad. The red arrow is extremely bad. Day-of-game entertainment decisions based on the name of the ballpark... that concept probably doesn't exist. There may be a small group of people for whom this name change is a tipping point between being a Sox fan and going to games regularly, and not. I don't think that group is gonna move the needle though. Ultimately everyone who feels like this is ownership piling on misery - and I understand that feeling, that's how I felt at the trade deadline - will probably get over it.

And if Cubs fans are making fun of you for it, just like toughen up a little.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
No such thing as bad pub. There are people that are so up in arms about this name change, yet wouldn't mind if a wife beater was on the roster if it helped the team win. Let Cubs fans make fun of the name, and least we aren't cheering for wife beaters.

220px-Brett_Myers_on_July_30,_2012.jpg

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
US Cellular doesnt even offer plans in the midwest. I am sure they were no longer interested.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
Yes, they do. U.S. Cellular no longer does business in the Chicago area (although the company still has a large corporate office near O'Hare), the company offers plans in other Midwest states.

One week ago I was driving thru Wisconsin and heard a radio commercial for U.S. Cellular on a local radio station. I believe they company has a large presence in Iowa also.

I'm in Rockford and still have US cellular service. We still have at least two stores in town, plus a couple of small kiosks in the mall.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm in Rockford and still have US cellular service. We still have at least two stores in town, plus a couple of small kiosks in the mall.

I had US Cellular service in Chicago until it was discontinued. I had 2 months left on my contract when I went to ATT and even though they got out of the area and told us we needed to switch carriers, they still tried to charge after we switched. It took about 10 phone calls and hours and hours to get it finally straightened out. They were great when I had the service.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
I spend part of the year in the Tampa area. I am amazed at their situation. They have struggled to draw attendance since the team arrived there. Due to the "migrant northern population" in the area, there always seems to be a limited number of true Tampa fans at their games. Yet all you hear oover the last few years is they need a new stadium. I think we as fans look at attendance as the driver of a franchise success. I think in this age, there are multiple factors such as advertising and TV revenue which may have greater impact. So many some owners are milking the cow by putting a mediocre product on the field regardless of the impact on attendance. Tampa is famous for selling off their yoing players as they approach free agency for young players that can start the cycle over again. Unfortunately Maddon kept them competitive and now they struggle with a mediocre lineup.

Local TV revenue and advertising is 100% based on the perception of the fan base. Bigger fan bases, mean more people are watching and listening to games, which means more eyes for advertisers, and more money for the local teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
If they were investing your retirement funds this poorly, would you still keep piling in bad money after good in blind faith and hope it eventually has to turn around?

Isn't it reasonable for Sox fans to do the same...to at least expect to have a clear decision-maker in charge who is accountable for performance?

Even the best mutual fund manager in history...who beat the S&P Index an improbable thirteen consecutive years (like the Braves' playoff streak)...was rewarded with less than half the rope that KW and Hahn are being extended.

Like I said, you can rationalize it how you want, but the results are the results. Teams that have loyal fanbases have more resources. This naming deal is 100% proof of that.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Again, one more time - the fans are NOT the INVESTORS. Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners are the INVESTORS. It is their job and their job only to invest in the product they are trying to sell to make it compelling enough for the fans, i.e., the CONSUMERS, to spend their money on the product. Economics 101.

And this is why the Sox get the Guaranteed Rate deal, while the Cubs will be getting a new network deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
And this is why the Sox get the Guaranteed Rate deal, while the Cubs will be getting a new network deal.

Worth considering perhaps - the "bang for the buck" for a company that isn't well known a-la "Guaranteed Rate" in sponsoring a stadium name is likely much higher than that a well known company (i.e. United) gets out of sponsoring a stadium. Guaranteed Rate has probably gotten their entire contract's worth of advertising value in the last 24 hours - I can't say I'd ever heard of them before this thread.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Worth considering perhaps - the "bang for the buck" for a company that isn't well known a-la "Guaranteed Rate" in sponsoring a stadium name is likely much higher than that a well known company (i.e. United) gets out of sponsoring a stadium. Guaranteed Rate has probably gotten their entire contract's worth of advertising value in the last 24 hours - I can't say I'd ever heard of them before this thread.

The Sox are getting $6.4 million out of this. THAT is what is important here. The name is secondary.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
I thought I read that, after inflation, the monetary value of the deal is identical to U.S. Cellular's

I actually just looked that up. Chris Rongey was wrong there. The present value of $3.4 million from 2003 to today is a bit over $4.4 million.

I'm still dumbfounded as to the stupidity of the name. It really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but couldn't they have found a way to make the name/logo sound and look better? The Sox have made a laughing stock of themselves for pretty much no reason. Hell, even the Bears made fun of them on Twitter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
I'm still dumbfounded as to the stupidity of the name. It really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but couldn't they have found a way to make the name/logo sound and look better? The Sox have made a laughing stock of themselves for pretty much no reason. Hell, even the Bears made fun of them on Twitter.

They might be a laughingstock. It's not because of the Ballpark name though. It's pretty funny when a team that hasn't won a title in 109 years throws shade along with another one that hasn't won a title in 30 years. Good times.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
They might be a laughingstock. It's not because of the Ballpark name though. It's pretty funny when a team that hasn't won a title in 109 years throws shade along with another one that hasn't won a title in 30 years. Good times.

Especially since the new Solider Field is a joke itself.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

Guaranteed 1908 Field

What an embarrassment. I don't care how much money the Sox get out of the deal (if any)...the branding damage that goes along with this isn't worth it. To me, it just reinforces the image of the Sox being a 2nd rate team...I mean, Guaranteed Rate Field? That feels like a very short step away from having the Chico's Bail Bonds logo on our unis.

Ultimately the name doesn't really matter, but some thought should go into it. Maybe, Comiskey Park at Guaranteed Rate Field. Or Comiskey Park sponsored by

Guaranteed Rate. Perhaps they released the name to see what the fans come up with between now and November... As is, embarassing!!