2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
Well, Hostetler's philosophy has (supposedly) changed the drafting process...so we'll know if he or KW is ultimately calling the shots still if they take Kendall over some of the other available collegiate bats that have been discussed.

That's a pretty hot take

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:13 PM)
When's the last time a "true" or least projected 2B (like Hiura) went in the Top 10-12 picks in the first round?

Who the hell is Warmoth? Is Law just trying to be a contrarian with all of his notes about the White Sox? Sign him for peanuts and then allocate the rest of the money to guys at #2/3/4/5???

Logan Warmoth is North Carolina's SS. Solid average tools across the board with a chance to stay at SS. Played himself into the first round this year. I'm a fan.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go with Jordon Adell in the first and JJ Matijevic in the second. If not Adell it would be great to see Bukauskas slip to the Sox.

If they're not trading Quintana...it feels like they're going to need a collegiate bat, especially with Robert in the fold.

Well, Hostetler's philosophy has (supposedly) changed the drafting process...so we'll know if he or KW is ultimately calling the shots still if they take Kendall over some of the other available collegiate bats that have been discussed.

If Hostetler's changes are a legitimate thing, I would think Hiura would be the pick unless Haseley or Smith is there. Hiura fits the Collins/Call/Fisher profile, whereas Kendall fits the Hawkins/Walker/Mitchell profile.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 30, 2017 -> 11:04 PM)
If Hostetler's changes are a legitimate thing, I would think Hiura would be the pick unless Haseley or Smith is there. Hiura fits the Collins/Call/Fisher profile, whereas Kendall fits the Hawkins/Walker/Mitchell profile.

Exactly what I was thinking and exactly what I don't want. Give me a baseball player over an athlete with a high ceiling.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
Hard to tell from the angle. Just seemed like someone who has a horrible hit tool, which is what has been advertised

But imagine how good he can be if he can only learn to hit! :)

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
I wasn't rating them on talents, I was rating them on how I'd take them. Even with the TJ surgery, Hiura seems much less risky to me than Kendall. I'd rather have a 2B or corner OF who I can easily project to the middle of my order than a CF whose bat I have to hide in the lineup, if he even makes it to MLB. I think Kendall's pitch recognition is bad and the cause of his high K rate. It's also something I don't see the White Sox improving. Based on that, I might even take Burger over Kendall.

OK, I thought you were projecting how they would come off the board. Admittedly I haven't seen either guy play but have just been paying attention to mock drafts and reading some scouting reports and such.

His record certainly shows that he can hit, but he has never hit double digit home runs. He also K'd in 20% of his ABs this year, so swing and miss is there for him as well. Does he project as a middle of the order run producer, or more of a Melky type that is a real good hitter but more doubles and such?

I think I would prefer (again, just based on numbers and reading scouting reports etc) Burger over Hiura. More power, plays a more valuable position better K/BB... But I'm not a scout, I just looked at their numbers...

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)

Fun fact. Zach Collins struck out in 28% of his ABs his last year for Miami. That is 1% less than Kendall. He struck out in 26% of his ABs for his Miami career. Kendall is at 28%. That doesn't seem like a huge difference to me.

Yeah, that's the problem now....the counterbalancing effect, because of the failures of raw/toolsy guys like Mitchell, Walker, Hawkins, Thompson, Barnum, etc., so the prevailing belief becomes that we shouldn't take those higher risk picks with the most upside but extremely low floors as well.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 30, 2017 -> 11:36 PM)
Fun fact. Zach Collins struck out in 28% of his ABs his last year for Miami. That is 1% less than Kendall. He struck out in 26% of his ABs for his Miami career. Kendall is at 28%. That doesn't seem like a huge difference to me.

Collins's K rate was 19.3% his last year, and 19.5% for his Miami career. Kendall's K rate is 25% this season and 24% for his career. That's a significant difference.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 30, 2017 -> 11:30 PM)
OK, I thought you were projecting how they would come off the board. Admittedly I haven't seen either guy play but have just been paying attention to mock drafts and reading some scouting reports and such.

His record certainly shows that he can hit, but he has never hit double digit home runs. He also K'd in 20% of his ABs this year, so swing and miss is there for him as well. Does he project as a middle of the order run producer, or more of a Melky type that is a real good hitter but more doubles and such?

I think I would prefer (again, just based on numbers and reading scouting reports etc) Burger over Hiura. More power, plays a more valuable position better K/BB... But I'm not a scout, I just looked at their numbers...

Hiura's K rate is 14.5%, he doesn't have significant swing and miss issues. He's no Pavin Smith (he of the 3.4% K rate), but who is?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:48 AM)
Any time I think of Pavin Smith, I think of recent 1B prospect in our system, Rangel Ravelo. He was a high contact, low strikeout, no power 1B type as well. He is currently in the Cardinals farm system hitting .349 in AAA with 1 HR and 16 K%. He has a total of 30 HR across 8 minor league seasons.

Smith's power projects much better than Ravelo.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:56 AM)

You may be right, I'm just going off of when I heard Cistulli and Longenhagen talk about him and one of them said he was interesting because he was a 1B without much power. Maybe they just meant relative to typical 1st RD 1B types.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:56 AM)

still I don't like smith due to that reason. if he was a middle infielder that would be no big deal but at 1B he doesn't have the fallback option if the power doesn't develope. I mean some of the no power 1B prospects do develope power at some point (or at age 30 in yonder alonsos case:)) but many also never develope it (like james loney). it is also interesting whether it is an exit velo thing or a swing plane/launch angle thing like in alonsos cases who always hit the ball hard but swung too level and now swings with more of an uppercut to get it in the air more.

smith won't be a 1 HR guy but there is a pretty good chance that he will be like a 15 HR guy with a wood bat and that doesn't really play at 1B. he will hit and there is a chance he becomes a star and hits 30 HR but for a 1B only prospects that is too many "Ifs" in my opinion.

This isn't true. Kenny Williams isn't the final decision maker on draft picks and what they did last year isn't really Hostetler's "style". They made it a point last year to add some more well rounded "baseball players" last year. Hostetler came from Schuerholtz mold of scouting though which seemingly targets power pitchers and athletes at premium positions.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
This isn't true. Kenny Williams isn't the final decision maker on draft picks and what they did last year isn't really Hostetler's "style". They made it a point last year to add some more well rounded "baseball players" last year. Hostetler came from Schuerholtz mold of scouting though which seemingly targets power pitchers and athletes at premium positions.

Was just going to say this.

I also don't think the Jared mitchell picks were the epitome of bad drafting. More the Broadway/McCullough picks were KW just wanted immediate plug and play guys for 5th starter roles. Sox just didn't invest in drafting/player development for a long time. Wasn't a single player type that killed us. It was trying them constantly trying to find workarounds.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
We have the prospect profile on Jordon Adell coming today. After reading the reaction to Jeren Kendall, I'm not expecting the reaction to Adell to be very positive

After drafting Mitchell and Hawkins I think the Sox might give pause to drafting toolsy players with questionable hit tools. The shift seems to be made to "baseball players" which would suggest Kendall and Adell are not the targeted players.

Outside of his hit tool, Kendall has it all. I am seriously concerned about what will happen as he faces better pitching, and I see him becoming a high strikeout, low walk player who may struggle to get on base.