ALCS: Blue Jays vs. Indians

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
Its so crazy that they are doing this without Salazar and Carrasco. Maybe both can come back for the World Series and split a game? Example: Carrasco goes 3-4 innings, Salazar goes 3-4, bullpen covers rest.

If they win it in 4 and can rest everyone for a week, then even throwing Kluber on short rest today will be easily recovered from. Kluber could throw game 2 on extra rest, and just keep Tomlin away from sharp things.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
If they win it in 4 and can rest everyone for a week, then even throwing Kluber on short rest today will be easily recovered from. Kluber could throw game 2 on extra rest, and just keep Tomlin away from sharp things.

I don't get why they're going Kluber on short rest up 3-0. If I were them I'd go rookie today, Kluber tomorrow and try to just win it in 5.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
I don't get why they're going Kluber on short rest up 3-0. If I were them I'd go rookie today, Kluber tomorrow and try to just win it in 5.

I had the same thought originally, but what if Kluber loses game 5? You can't start him on two days rest if you go to game 7. This way you have him available for games 4 and 7. Ideally, you only need him once and he will be fully rested for the World Series.

Plus, your bullpen just pitched over 8 innings. You know Kluber should give you at least 6. The rookie could get rocked and then you have another bullpen day.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 03:15 AM)
Probably destined to get smacked by the Cubs. They reek of a team who comes up short on the final test, highly overachieving right now and winning too many close games. They've been more lucky than good if you ask me.

I have not been following them closely, but on surface Tomlin and Bauer are absolutely not #2 and #3 PO starters. Even if Salazar comes back, he was horrific in the post ASB. Their OF and catcher position players are probably the worst in recent postseason memory. Bullpen is a question mark outside of Miller and Allen. That said, Miller is a real life video game player right now, easily cutting the game from 9 to 7 innings. Their defense plus timely offense has been incredible (only 3 players hitting above .230 in the postseason), let's see how long this could hold up (I'd like it to hold up for another 5 games).

Tomlin and Bauer aren't any worse than any of the Royals SP from last year.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 10:36 PM)
Andrew Miller This Series: 17 batters faced 15 outs 13 strikeouts. So far this is by far the most dominant performance for a reliever in postseason history

He's insane. I haven't read this entire thread so maybe somebody has already suggested this, but he'd have to be named LCS MVP right now, wouldn't he?

PS: Just looked up the last time a reliever won an LCS MVP award, and it was Koji Uehara in 2013. I thought I was making some mindblowing observation over here.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
He's insane. I haven't read this entire thread so maybe somebody has already suggested this, but he'd have to be named LCS MVP right now, wouldn't he?

PS: Just looked up the last time a reliever won an LCS MVP award, and it was Koji Uehara in 2013. I thought I was making some mindblowing observation over here.

Uehara was excellent that postseason and that series in particular but not as dominant as Miller. It's even more impressive that Miller can come in at any time, pitch multiple innings, and it has no negative effect on his performance. A lot of relievers struggle when you put them in at different situations within a game, many are very regimented in their routine.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)

I've been saying it since August. This Indians team reminds me more and more of the 2014/2015 Royals. They always appear to be overachieving because they win primarily with excellent pitching/defense and timely hitting plus have very little name recognition (though Lindor and Miller are quickly becoming household names and rightfully so). Rather quietly they have had the second best record in baseball since May 1 (only 0.5 game worse than the Cubs including playoffs).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)
I had the same thought originally, but what if Kluber loses game 5? You can't start him on two days rest if you go to game 7. This way you have him available for games 4 and 7. Ideally, you only need him once and he will be fully rested for the World Series.

Plus, your bullpen just pitched over 8 innings. You know Kluber should give you at least 6. The rookie could get rocked and then you have another bullpen day.

I think this is the key. They have been relying heavily on their bullpen and Kluber will give them some certainty there.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)

Based on what? I'd debate that. Kluber is one of the best in the game right now, but there is a huge drop off after him. Kluber, Bauer and Tomlin is the worst trio out of all PO teams this year, and it's not that close. The latter two were also horrific post ASB and suddenly caught second wind in the postseason.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Based on what? I'd debate that. Kluber is one of the best in the game right now, but there is a huge drop off after him. Kluber, Bauer and Tomlin is the worst trio out of all PO teams this year, and it's not that close. The latter two were also horrific post ASB and suddenly caught second wind in the postseason.

Did you see the Royals staff last year? What about Cueto, Volquez, Ventura, Guthrie, Duffy was so exciting? During the regular season those guys had ERAs with the Royals of 4.76, 3.55, 4.08, 5.95, and 4.08 respectively. That's average at best.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 05:38 PM)
Cleveland still in good shape, but if Toronto's offense gets in gear, they can make it really interesting. Cleveland hasn't lost 4 in a row all year, so them not making the WS would be on par or maybe even a bigger gag than the 2003 Cubs.

Tomorrow will be an interesting game in regards to how Francona manages, considering they have a guy starting that has only one previous start in the MLB in his life, versus Estrada. Francona did not use Miller or Allen today, and with an off day Thursday, one would fully expect these two to play a large role.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
Blue Jays still very much in this. Cleveland starting pitching just isn't good after Kluber. If their bats can come back to life, the can take this to game 7.

It's really going to come down to whether Cleveland's bats can come alive too...people aren't talking about Cleveland's bats as much because they are up 3-1, but they've scored a grand total of 9 runs in 4 games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Merritt through two...the Indians have to be thrilled with the way this is going so far.

And the power bats have woken up, if he can get through the order a second time with the lead, Tito and The Circumstances can take over the game.