Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
Yeah, I actually feel good about him.

It's Moncada...after reading 9 pages of SoSH I am now convinced he is the next Andy Marte.

Yeah, if I had my choice, I'd rather have Benintendi. But not disappointed with the concensus #1 prospect in the game. Benintendi feels like a prospect even the worst developmental teams wouldn't be able to ruin. Moncada on the other hand....very ruinable by the Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)

It's Moncada...after reading 9 pages of SoSH I am now convinced he is the next Andy Marte.

BoSox fans were all saying he was untouchable in July. Now that he's gone, he's a guaranteed bust in their eyes.

I wanted Moncada more than anyone in July. I'm pretty ecstatic over this trade

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
From what I understand the WSox asked for Benintendi first and were told no.

Yeah, it sounds as though he was not someone they were willing to give up...

Sounds like DD preferred to keep Benintendi/Devers over Moncada/Kopech.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
Of course if Moncada busts we lose the trade, but that was the case if we got a Bregman/Turner/Swanson and they busted too, so that's not really saying much.

Right. The question I have is does Moncada have a higher possibility of busting than say Bregman/Swanson/Giolito?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)

Boston fans are notorious for this. Their player is the greatest thing since sliced bread...until your team acquires him, at which point he was obviously a worthless bum and couldn't possibly be worth what they got in return. Believe it or not, they're actually worse about this in football.

All that said to say that I'll trust the scouting community at large, who seems to think Moncada is the best young talent they've seen in a long time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Yeah, it sounds as though he was not someone they were willing to give up...

Sounds like DD preferred to keep Benintendi/Devers over Moncada/Kopech.

Definitely a DD leak a few weeks ago that they wouldn't part with Moncada/Kopech in any deal. So I think your theory is correct.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
What's making me comfortable with this deal is that a lot of the pundits love this deal for both sides.

That's what makes me nervous about it. This was a trade we were supposed to "win no matter what". It being called fair has me skeptical.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
That's what makes me nervous about it. This was a trade we were supposed to "win no matter what". It being called fair has me skeptical.

I don't think there is any possible way that was going to happen.

We could have gotten the Red Sox top 5 prospects and there would have still been people that preferred the certainty of Sale.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
What's to worry about though? We've proven we're not winning with Chris.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
Keep in mind that the Sox weren't winning with Sale under the teams current construction and weren't going to win anything over the next three years. Keeping Sale for the next three years wasn't going to help the team rebuild or replenish the farm.

Given the cavalcade of bad decisions in virtually every aspect of baseball operations by this front office over the past ~decade, I think its fair to be concerned about the outcome of this trade.

This front office has earned, and RE-earned every bit of critique, scorn, and ridicule that they've been given. This move is bittersweet, in that a pile of dumb moves over the past decade or so painted this team into a corner. Having to trade away the best White Sox pitcher any of us have seen in our lifetimes is the fruit of all those dumb decisions.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
Boston fans are notorious for this. Their player is the greatest thing since sliced bread...until your team acquires him, at which point he was obviously a worthless bum and couldn't possibly be worth what they got in return. Believe it or not, they're actually worse about this in football.

All that said to say that I'll trust the scouting community at large, who seems to think Moncada is the best young talent they've seen in a long time.

Since I live in Red Sox country, I have to listen to the fans you have described. Before Moncada came up in Sept, the talk was how he was the next Nomar and what are they waiting for to bring him to Boston. However once he arrived, he looked like he had never seen a curve ball in his life. It was more than he just looked bad - he was missing them by a foot. He was borderline atrocious.

However the positive is that I never read about a scout saying he was anything but a can't miss prospect. Hopefully he was pressing, Sept was a fluke, and half a season at Charlotte will cure whatever ailed him. His minor league stats reflect that he is a strike out waiting to happen, but they also show he hits the hell out of the ball when he makes contact and he can really run.

Regarding Kopech, the stats say he is the real deal, but they may want to give him a private room in spring training since he likes to punch out his roomie. :o

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
We aren't there yet. This is a great start, and all indications is this is just the first domino to fall.

BUT........lets see what else happens. If Sale is the only major piece moved this winter, the direction will still be muddy.

Yup. Agreed with all of this.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
We aren't there yet. This is a great start, and all indications is this is just the first domino to fall.

BUT........lets see what else happens. If Sale is the only major piece moved this winter, the direction will still be muddy.

I think s*** will get done. Sale was the domino. Now they'll move Q and others. Q is very popular right now and I'd be stunned if he's still on the roster come Friday

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)

Rick made it sound like this would be a slow rebuild and our guys are in no hurry to move players. They're waiting for the right packages.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:00 PM)
I think s*** will get done. Sale was the domino. Now they'll move Q and others. Q is very popular right now and I'd be stunned if he's still on the roster come Friday

I'm honestly gonna be sadder to see Q go.

God speed, Flying Serpent.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:03 PM)
I'm honestly gonna be sadder to see Q go.

God speed, Flying Serpent.

The whole thing has a "peeling off a bandage" type feel. I wish they could just move everybody and rebuild already, but Rick is wise to work the field to get the best returns.

From a fan standpoint, I agree it's pretty sad. Then I think about how bad some of these "win now" teams have been.

There's no way we can lose this trade. There was virtually zero chance Sale would resign here in 3 years and you probably wouldn't be lined up to get the #1 prospect in baseball in the next few years by holding out. This trade is as good as we would/could ever get for Sale.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:23 PM)
Which makes sense and is a direction I agree with.

But I want to see it actually happen. The Front Office has built up very little trust with the fans.

Agreed. Just be terrible already and get it over with. I'm excited about Moncada and I'm looking forward to being excited about more pieces in the farm system.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
What's to worry about though? We've proven we're not winning with Chris.

I keep thinking about the Mariners. They have had their Hall of Fame starting pitcher for over 11 years.

Zero playoff appearances. They keep trying to put together rosters around him and keep failing.