2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Sockin @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
It's up and has us taking Nander De Sadas. FWIW Seth Beer is not taken in the first round in this mock.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-m...8kCe5FhhRobK.97

I know nothing about him other than he looks the part in the video, but I'd prefer if there was a star college hitter that represented good value available at that pick. If they did draft a high schooler, what would a reasonable ML ETA be?

Also no Luken Baker or Konor Pilkington, who other sites had rated very highly. On the HS side, no Alek Thomas, Joe Gray Jr, or Xavier Edwards. At this point, I would like any of those guys in the second round. If we do take De Sedas, I would like Pilkington, Gray, Thomas (in that order) to help balance the draft and what we already have in the system.

Nander de Sedas and RHP Ethan Hankins are my two favorite players in the class. I think they'll be in 1-1 discussion come June. For those of you that don't have a BA subscription:

1. Tigers: Brady Singer RHP Florida

2. Giants: Ethan Hankins RHP HS GA

3. Phillies: Brice Turang SS HS CA

4. White Sox: Nander de Sedas SS HS FL

5. Reds: Nolan Gorman 3B HS AZ

6. Mets: Shane McClanahan LHP South Florida

7. Padres: Casey Mize RHP Auburn

8. Braves: Kumar Rocker RHP HS GA

9. Athletics: Nick Madrigal SS/2B Oregon State

10. Pirates: Matthew Liberatore LHP HS AZ

12. Toronto: Greyson Jenista 1B Wichita State

13. Marlins: Jarred Kelenic OF HS WI

23. Yankees: Triston Casas IB HS FL

25 DBacks: Travis Swaggerty OF South Alabama

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
Nander de Sedas and RHP Ethan Hankins are my two favorite players in the class. I think they'll be in 1-1 discussion come June. For those of you that don't have a BA subscription:

I've been following a lot of the draft stuff but it seems like there isn't much talk about De Sedas. In a very sincere way, what makes you think he will be in consideration for 1-1? I saw that he just lost out to Gorman at the UA home run derby and that he is a good athlete, but I couldn't find much more about him even though he is ranked so high.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
I've been following a lot of the draft stuff but it seems like there isn't much talk about De Sedas. In a very sincere way, what makes you think he will be in consideration for 1-1? I saw that he just lost out to Gorman at the UA home run derby and that he is a good athlete, but I couldn't find much more about him even though he is ranked so high.

Just scouting reports and video. I know he goes to the same HS as Francisco Lindor but that's who he reminds me of. Looks like he may fill out and have to move to 3B eventually but I really like the profile

I think this is the earliest I've followed the next years draft and what was confusing to me was what has come out so far was just a lot of the players who were at the big showcases and some video, but very little commentary on how they were doing.

I think I mistook the amount of video tweeted on a guy as a sign of them being the best, but likely was just a matter of availability.

After another average wooden bat summer for Beer, I really wonder with even a big junior season if he does much better than Brent Rooker.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
Also no Luken Baker or Konor Pilkington, who other sites had rated very highly. On the HS side, no Alek Thomas, Joe Gray Jr, or Xavier Edwards. At this point, I would like any of those guys in the second round. If we do take De Sedas, I would like Pilkington, Gray, Thomas (in that order) to help balance the draft and what we already have in the system.

Good call - I didn't even notice that Gray was omitted from this list. Really shows how deep this draft is and how much things change. We're going to see so much continued changes still even in the next 8 months.

Muhahahahah - stoked.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
I think this is the earliest I've followed the next years draft and what was confusing to me was what has come out so far was just a lot of the players who were at the big showcases and some video, but very little commentary on how they were doing.

I think I mistook the amount of video tweeted on a guy as a sign of them being the best, but likely was just a matter of availability.

After another average wooden bat summer for Beer, I really wonder with even a big junior season if he does much better than Brent Rooker.

Sox will end up with a quality prospect in what is shaping up to be a strong 2018 draft class. Right now there is not much consensus, but at the end of the day we will be adding another top guy to our farm system.

Selecting top 5 you really do not want to miss on a potential impact talent.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)

The market is bullish on corner bats but rooker fell because he was old for a draftee (either senior or redshirt junior, I don't remember) on top of being a corner guy and not the greatest athlete.

If a corner guy is clearly the best bat in the draft he usually won't go top3 but usually top10-12 at least because one team will take the chance. But rooker also was 22.5 years old when drafted which probably was too much for the teams to take him first.

If beer has a good final year (1000 plus ops) he will go top8 or so. I think the recent reports are overreacting a little. Now if he has a really mediocre final year he might drop to the second round but even then some team with a comp pick will take their chance in the 30s or so.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
The market is bullish on corner bats but rooker fell because he was old for a draftee (either senior or redshirt junior, I don't remember) on top of being a corner guy and not the greatest athlete.

If a corner guy is clearly the best bat in the draft he usually won't go top3 but usually top10-12 at least because one team will take the chance. But rooker also was 22.5 years old when drafted which probably was too much for the teams to take him first.

If beer has a good final year (1000 plus ops) he will go top8 or so. I think the recent reports are overreacting a little. Now if he has a really mediocre final year he might drop to the second round but even then some team with a comp pick will take their chance in the 30s or so.

I think one of the big things dragging Beer down right now is his bad history with wood bats. This was his second summer playing with wood bats and he looked bad both times. That will be hard to make up for during the college season, but it really just takes one team that is willing to risk it for him to go high, so I think he'll get drafted higher than his projections, but his projections will be low.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
I think one of the big things dragging Beer down right now is his bad history with wood bats. This was his second summer playing with wood bats and he looked bad both times. That will be hard to make up for during the college season, but it really just takes one team that is willing to risk it for him to go high, so I think he'll get drafted higher than his projections, but his projections will be low.

When you combine the wood bat problems with the defensive issues, you can see why teams are scared off. He will put up another big year with metal bats, but teams will be thinking "so what? why can't he hit with wood bats?"

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
When you combine the wood bat problems with the defensive issues, you can see why teams are scared off. He will put up another big year with metal bats, but teams will be thinking "so what? why can't he hit with wood bats?"

Something interesting about the defensive questions I saw was one scout or analyst said they thought he actually had a chance to stick in the outfield and play passable defense. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that though. But his profile, even with the question marks, looks a lot better and less risky if he can play outfield.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)

I will be surprised if the Sox pick a HS player. Not that he doesn't deserve it but the sox just don't typically take HS in the first round. The last one I can think of was Gio Gonzalez in around 2004-2005. Either way they just don't do it often.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I will be surprised if the Sox pick a HS player. Not that he doesn't deserve it but the sox just don't typically take HS in the first round. The last one I can think of was Gio Gonzalez in around 2004-2005. Either way they just don't do it often.

Courtney Hawkins

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
Courtney Hawkins

Oh yeah. Blocked that one from my mind. What year was that? It's been at least 4-5 years.

Edit: Got off the lazy train and looked it up. Since 2000. It's been Honel 2001, Gonzalez in 2004 and Hawkins and Barnum (sandwich) in 2012.

It doesn't happen often and doesn't turn out well.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh yeah. Blocked that one from my mind. What year was that? It's been at least 4-5 years.

Edit: Got off the lazy train and looked it up. Since 2000. It's been Honel 2001, Gonzalez in 2004 and Hawkins and Barnum (sandwich) in 2012.

It doesn't happen often and doesn't turn out well.

Yeah, we don't have a good history, but aren't all of those from the old draft structure where you could spend as much as you wanted, so we went cheap and didn't want to pay for any actually good players, so we just took athletes who couldn't even play baseball. This is a new system and we have a new man in charge and almost everyone agrees that to get those superstar players, you gotta get them out of high school. Would I rather take a less risky college player if all things were equal? Hell yeah. But all things are not equal because there are fewer colleges players with the cielings of these high school players, and it doesn't appear to be one in this draft yet.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 3, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)

I'll be very surprised if they don't take a high school player. It's the strength of this draft class. Nick Hostetler has spoken at length about how they need to get younger and that he wants to add more high school talent to the system. He's actually said that he likes scouting HS players better because that was his original job as a scout. He mentioned it on 670, with Barstool Dave, and on our FutureSox podcast.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
I'll be very surprised if they don't take a high school player. It's the strength of this draft class. Nick Hostetler has spoken at length about how they need to get younger and that he wants to add more high school talent to the system. He's actually said that he likes scouting HS players better because that was his original job as a scout. He mentioned it on 670, with Barstool Dave, and on our FutureSox podcast.

I'm thinking the Sox look to a premium position high school player with #4 overall, although it's obviously early to tell. You don't reach when picking in the top 5, you need to end up with the best talent available.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm thinking the Sox look to a premium position high school player with #4 overall, although it's obviously early to tell. You don't reach when picking in the top 5, you need to end up with the best talent available.

Yeah, I think they have to go up-the-middle talent with the first pick. I think as of right now there are three premium up-the-middle talents at the top of the draft with Turang, De Sedas, and Kelenic. There doesn't seem to be any up-the-middle college guys that could go that high right now, but I was listeing to the BA podcast and they made the point that usually high school players are generally ranked as high as they are going to get after the summer, while college guys tend to rise during the season. So I would not be suprised if the Sox were on those three right now, and wait and see which college guys pop up during the year.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Oct 4, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
Yeah, I think they have to go up-the-middle talent with the first pick. I think as of right now there are three premium up-the-middle talents at the top of the draft with Turang, De Sedas, and Kelenic. There doesn't seem to be any up-the-middle college guys that could go that high right now, but I was listeing to the BA podcast and they made the point that usually high school players are generally ranked as high as they are going to get after the summer, while college guys tend to rise during the season. So I would not be suprised if the Sox were on those three right now, and wait and see which college guys pop up during the year.

Past few years seems like there has been a disconnect with the Draft writers rising college talent up the boards and the actual draft picks. Think Kyle Wright, whose strong finish had writers putting him in 1-1 conversation. McKay too. I think the writers see the college kids more and have a slight (not big) disconnect on how the teams are valuing the HS kids.