2017 Watercooler TV thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 100% agree on This is Us being overrated. Just so melodramatic. I couldn’t sit thru it every week. Like some lightness would be nice.

I think ST is fun. Not sure how it’s overrated though. It has its audience but didn’t win awards or anything. S2 is important for a show like this.

QUOTE (Tony @ Oct 27, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Screw the haters. Just finished Season 2, thought it was really good.

Stranger Things Season 1 was a pleasant surprise for everyone. It had very little hype, spread on social and it really caught on. It was the surprise team of the year. In Season 2, they had a target on their back trying to live up to expectations. And for the most part, they met them.

Now that I'm in front of the computer, a few specific thoughts:

-Loved the Steve/Dustin combo near the end of the season. Those two together were really likable.

-I actually liked what they did with the Eleven story line. I think they took a pretty big risk of taking her out of Hawkins and exploring some of her backstory. It probably could have been done a little different, but I like that they took the risk and got out of their comfort zone a little bit.

-The Nancy/Jonathan storyline of them going to visit the reporter was not for me. I also thought one of the biggest plot holes was Nancy all the sudden coming up with this plan to set up the people at the lab she believed were listening in on phone calls, then recording everyone in the lab. They didn't search her purse at all?

-Really not sure where they go from here. Hopefully they give the Duffer Bros a little bit of time to get something together, but I know with the kids growing makes things difficult.

I'e only watched the first 3 episodes and so far I'm really enjoying it.

In light of recent revelations about Kevin Spacey, Netflix has pulled the plug of House of Cards. It will end after next season. I have a feeling it was just about done anyways...

Edited by juddling

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Oct 30, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
It wasn't all bad, but I absolutely hated episode 7.

I didn't like going away from Hawkins for a whole episode at that point either. Don't think episode was bad. Just misplaced.

I really liked season 2

I feel like two things are going to be necessary to move the story along. 1. The other patients will need to be revealed, and at least one of them will have to be “bad”. And 2. Papa needs to come back. Hawkins lab really lost a lot of its “evil” without him, and he was never confirmed dead.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I love Stranger Things. I think the second season was better than the first.

I've been saying the same thing. Over half the season isn't Winona Ryder sitting in her family room looking at Christmas lights.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
My friend's Halloween display. In his basement now but he will be setting up on the front lawn on Tuesday. I thought he did a great job.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joemeldrumoma/st...741627411259393

Update. Turned out completely badass. Did a great job with the video too:

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
I love Stranger Things. I think the second season was better than the first.

I watched it. I honestly held off after the initial bad review on here and it's a stressful show and I just want all the kids to survive.

I thought it was about as good as it could be. Wasn't crazy about the two new characters though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
I watched it. I honestly held off after the initial bad review on here and it's a stressful show and I just want all the kids to survive.

I thought it was about as good as it could be. Wasn't crazy about the two new characters though.

Dustin was me at the school dance when I was a kid. Minus the cute older girl feeling pity on me.

Recommend "Long Shot" on Netflix. 40 minute documentary about a guy arrested for murder. Don't want to say too much but it's crazy.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Dustin was me at the school dance when I was a kid. Minus the cute older girl feeling pity on me.

Yeah, they do their best when diving into sentimentality. I liked that he got rejected at first, they are smart.

The shows two strengths are it's remarkable casting and smart sentimentality.

And the latter is kind of a cheap trick but so, so effective. There are a lot of tropes from 80s film/tv that have been completely ditched but shouldn't have. I just wish they could be retained without always setting them in the 80s.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 26, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
This show is high on my list for winter binge watching.

It was really good, but man I wanted more at the end of the season (a good sign).

Kemper was the star of the show.

Also just finished ST:S2. The kids saw alot more action and overall I thought it was better than S1. I thought Ep.7 was good just weirdly placed, gave me PTSD of The Walking Dead but at least I can see why they would add that story. The one thing that kind of annoyed me was

Dustin give the demadog the 3 musketeers down in the tunnel when escaping. I mean I understand he's supposed to have this relationship with it but the whole interaction seemed like really lazy writing.

Also I was a fan of Billy's character.Giving Steve the babyface role really helped him this season.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Also just finished ST:S2. The kids saw alot more action and overall I thought it was better than S1. I thought Ep.7 was good just weirdly placed, gave me PTSD of The Walking Dead but at least I can see why they would add that story. The one thing that kind of annoyed me was

Dustin give the demadog the 3 musketeers down in the tunnel when escaping. I mean I understand he's supposed to have this relationship with it but the whole interaction seemed like really lazy writing.

Also I was a fan of Billy's character.Giving Steve the babyface role really helped him this season.

I thought

Dustin’s relationship with Dart was the epitome of dumb 80s movie decisions and I wasn’t really a fan. When he saved it at the school and didn’t tell his friends, that was a decision that should have gotten him killed. He knew what it wasn’t when it killed his cat and was ok with it, that’s bizarre

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
I thought

Dustin’s relationship with Dart was the epitome of dumb 80s movie decisions and I wasn’t really a fan. When he saved it at the school and didn’t tell his friends, that was a decision that should have gotten him killed. He knew what it wasn’t when it killed his cat and was ok with it, that’s bizarre

That's very true, I guess I kinda missed the reference there. I agree tho, seemed unnecessary to make Dustin like that but it definitely made the plot move along so they left it in.