Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

I'll probably get mocked for this, but I don't like that Brinson is 23, with the clock running, and has had a May-esque cup of coffee in MLB. I know 35 PAs are stupid, but it just bugs me. Didn't like it with Moncada, Giolito or Lopez either.

Give me Albies and some other Braves (Gohara and Pache would receive no complaints here). 20 years old in AAA, plus defender, low K rate, yes please.

Although, I will ask, how's Brinson's D? All MLB says is that his speed can compensate for shaky reads and jumps, which sounds iffy.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
If the Brewers are the favorite, then a deal has to be built around Brinson. Add in one of their well regarded arms (Hader, Woodruff, Ortiz) and another interesting positional prospect (Diaz, Clark, Erceg) and I think you have a deal that works.

I definitely think Clark will be in any deal with the Brewers, at least I hope so. Like Diaz quite a bit though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I'll probably get mocked for this, but I don't like that Brinson is 23, with the clock running, and has had a May-esque cup of coffee in MLB. I know 35 PAs are stupid, but it just bugs me. Didn't like it with Moncada, Giolito or Lopez either.

Give me Albies and some other Braves (Gohara and Pache would receive no complaints here). 20 years old in AAA, plus defender, low K rate, yes please.

Although, I will ask, how's Brinson's D? All MLB says is that his speed can compensate for shaky reads and jumps, which sounds iffy.

I'm sorry, but overreacting to 35 plate appearances is f***ing stupid. Most young guys struggle when they come and to expect instant results is ridiculous. And the 23 years old stuff is utter nonsense. You'd rather have Ozzies Albies and his very limited power potential over Bronson simply because of age? Bronson's ceiling is significantly higher and for a team not planning on being competitive over the next two seasons we should no doubt gamble on Bronson's upside rather than Ozzie's floor if we have the choice. And I say this as someone who likes Albies.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Brinson has and is currently destroying AAA at a substantial sample of work, and has demonstrated competent plate discipline and mid-to low K rates in the process. That's an elite prospect we should absolutely love to have. Would arguably be our #2 behind Moncada

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:01 AM)
I'm sorry, but overreacting to 35 plate appearances is f***ing stupid. Most young guys struggle when they come and to expect instant results is ridiculous. And the 23 years old stuff is utter nonsense. You'd rather have Ozzies Albies and his very limited power potential over Bronson simply because of age? Bronson's ceiling is significantly higher and for a team not planning on being competitive over the next two seasons we should no doubt gamble on Bronson's upside rather than Ozzie's floor if we have the choice. And I say this as someone who likes Albies.

Brinson got some pretty sporadic PAs as well. For whatever reason, they brought him up when Villar went on the DL but then didn't commit to playing him regularly.

Instead, he got a lot of pinch hitting opportunities.

I believe he also was injured after being HBP.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Been waiting for this deal for awhile now. I'm gona miss Q. Long live the Serpent!

I fully trust Hahn on this one. He's set us up nicely.

The Flying Serpent shall soon have his fill on beer.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)

Brinson projects as a plus defender in center field, with a plus arm. He should be able to handle any OF position.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:03 PM)
I was told by someone who has a source (I do not), that the next couple days could be a s*** storm or activity.

Nothing new, but another voice who thinks thinks are heating up.

Thanks for sharing! Do you think that means a flurry of moves - i.e. multiple pieces in talks. Or just a storm of Q activity?

All good if you don't know or can't say.

I honestly wouldn't worry. We now have seen our own players turn it around after subpar starts (Adolfo/Adams), and cool down after hot starts (Anderson/Fulmer).

Dansby swanson went from can't miss multi-all star to sophomore slump.

It's reassuring when there is just linear progression like Kris Bryant, but it's uncommon. Gotta just believe in a talent like Brinson.

As for age/clock, I'm not really concerned. He'd be with us until 2023/4? Anyone with a clock just starting is enough time. I'd say anyone with 4 years or less is a tougher call, unless truly transcendent talent.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Anyone else hoping Rick had put in the last call to teams?

So are we thinking a deal gets announced today/tomorrow? So much smoke, but nothing confirmed.

I tend to believe the stove is hot when the national guys like Passan/Rosenthal start tweeting about it. They are very well connected across the league.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)
Anyone else hoping Rick had put in the last call to teams?

I think it's a wise plan.

I know I have been somewhat worried it would drag out the whole month and we wouldn't end up moving all our pieces.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:40 AM)
You want Brinson. I want Brinson. Not gonna happen.

I feel like this is said about every prospect someone brings up. Guys like Brinson should not be off the table in discussions about Q.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:38 AM)
So are we thinking a deal gets announced today/tomorrow? So much smoke, but nothing confirmed.

I tend to believe the stove is hot when the national guys like Passan/Rosenthal start tweeting about it. They are very well connected across the league.

Passan did last night.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
Passan did last night.

He did in the podcast, but he did not say whether a deal was happening now now, or just by the deadline.

Once Rosenthal jumps in you know that something is going down soon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
Passan did last night.

He also said he could wait until the offseason when 29 teams may bid. He didn't really commit, it was sort of a "see I told you so" if a trade does happen soon, and a well I told you he may wait until the winter if nothing happens.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 06:43 AM)
He did in the podcast, but he did not say whether a deal was happening now now, or just by the deadline.

Once Rosenthal jumps in you know that something is going down soon.

Yeah, by then the deal is basically done.

The crazy part about what started yesterday is you never know whether that can lead to the Rosenthal tweet or nothing.

Nothing is confirmed until it's confirmed.