What would it take - Machado/Harper

he gone.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Except 1998-2001

And late 80's series of first round draft picks, Alvarez and Sosa deal, etc.

They really didn't do anything like this between 1998 and 2001, and if you have to go back 30 years to try and find any other precedent, it's probably safe to say that they've never done anything like this. Also, signing Robert is far and away different than anything this franchise has ever done in the past.

The White Sox are absolutely in unprecedented territory, especially as it comes to the current front office.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Harper is White and his team wears red, no thanks. He'll come here and bat .202 with 30 homers.

Dunn, Roach, Frazier.

Except all those guys were on the wrong side of 30 and didn't have much athletic ability. Harper is one of the most athletically gifted players in the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Except all those guys were on the wrong side of 30 and didn't have much athletic ability. Harper is one of the most athletically gifted players in the game.

Sox I'm sure will be interested, but I think the $ gets to an insane level for Harper/Machado. They might be better served to spread the money around to get several pieces.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
Sox I'm sure will be interested, but I think the $ gets to an insane level for Harper/Machado. They might be better served to spread the money around to get several pieces.

I don't disagree with this either. We'll have to see where the Sox are at when the time comes. It may honestly make sense if enough of the guys appear to be panning out. If not, then it definitely does not make sense.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)

With the number of top flight prospects that the White Sox now have...basically all of whom are going to be getting a look in the big leagues at some point (we'll probably push them there just to see if they're going to flop, even if they have a .750 OPS in the minors), I disagree with this. I think that targeting 1 or 2 key positions where we know we are weak and swinging for the fences at those spots makes more sense.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Harper is White and his team wears red, no thanks. He'll come here and bat .202 with 30 homers.

I've been following the boards for a while and I must say this is about the most stupid, ignorant statement I've ever seen on these boards. When did Sox fans turn into Cubs fans?

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
I've been following the boards for a while and I must say this is about the most stupid, ignorant statement I've ever seen on these boards. When did Sox fans turn into Cubs fans?

You'll find most (not all) of the users who have names or avatars referencing Jake LaRoche are trolls. I'm assuming they're Cubs fans because there was really nothing funny about the place the White Sox were in when the LaRoche thing went down. They know it infuriates a lot of us.

Are there any free agent targets in the offseason that might work into the Sox medium/long term plans? I suppose by nature of when people hit free agency they're not usually young, so I guess unlikely. Maybe some more reclamation projects that could be flipped next deadline?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
Are there any free agent targets in the offseason that might work into the Sox medium/long term plans? I suppose by nature of when people hit free agency they're not usually young, so I guess unlikely. Maybe some more reclamation projects that could be flipped next deadline?

I don't think we will know until the market shapes up...I am sure some guys will be underappreciated and will make sense for us to gamble on, but we won't know who until November/December/January

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)

Probably not worth investigating when we're approaching rock bottom for the big league club. When our young guys are on the field in the majors they should sign FAs to get the most out of their money, but right now it doesn't make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)

Hopefully at our next home game they can hand out sarcasm detectors and a sense of humor to the first 10,000 fans.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
You'll find most (not all) of the users who have names or avatars referencing Jake LaRoche are trolls. I'm assuming they're Cubs fans because there was really nothing funny about the place the White Sox were in when the LaRoche thing went down. They know it infuriates a lot of us.

Jesus christ man lighten the heck up. Everyone was making fun of that situation which is why I picked my name.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Jesus christ man lighten the heck up. Everyone was making fun of that situation which is why I picked my name.

Well, it's over now and everyone appears to have moved on.

Meanwhile you are afraid of players that have worn red in the past or some nonsense. It's not cute, it's not funny. It's fairly Cub-fan ish, actually.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)

I have been thinking the same as well, especially in relation to Machado/Harper and the FA's of 2019.

Would it make sense for the Sox to grab one of the decent FA veterans this offseason? Looking at the list, it really boils down to one of Hosmer (27), Moustakas (28) and JD Martinez (29). My thinking would be:

Do Harper and Machado or whomever else really want to come to a team in 2019 that is coming off 90-100 losses as we assume the Sox will do next year? Next year could be epic-ly bad for the Sox - besides Abreu, Moncada and TA, the rest could get ugly with growing pains for Lopez, Giolito, etc. If Moncada has a great year and TA improves, it could be enough to lure a big name FA or two to come to the Sox in 2019. But I feel like both of those happening is best case scenario and not likely to happen. I believe the year Lester came to the Cubs, the Cubs were coming off a bad year with Renteria, but they showed a little promise at least. Then with Maddon joining and the Cubs "curse" thing, Lester bought in and signed with them.

Essentially, I picture one of the big name FA's saying "Alrite, I can see myself playing with Hosmer and Abreu plus the kids for the next few years" rather than "Abreu and the kids". I think it would have to be a situation similar to Encarnacion or Trumbo where the contract comes down to a reasonable price and so it makes sense for the Sox. I'd imagine Hosmer would be a great recruiter - seems like a likable guy. Realistically, Moose might make the most sense since we don't have a 3B waiting in the wings until the latter half of 2019 and we might have an 1B/OF/DH jam coming soon.

Might be dumb, but something to throw out and discuss and see what you all thought.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
I have been thinking the same as well, especially in relation to Machado/Harper and the FA's of 2019.

Would it make sense for the Sox to grab one of the decent FA veterans this offseason? Looking at the list, it really boils down to one of Hosmer (27), Moustakas (28) and JD Martinez (29). My thinking would be:

Do Harper and Machado or whomever else really want to come to a team in 2019 that is coming off 90-100 losses as we assume the Sox will do next year? Next year could be epic-ly bad for the Sox - besides Abreu, Moncada and TA, the rest could get ugly with growing pains for Lopez, Giolito, etc. If Moncada has a great year and TA improves, it could be enough to lure a big name FA or two to come to the Sox in 2019. But I feel like both of those happening is best case scenario and not likely to happen. I believe the year Lester came to the Cubs, the Cubs were coming off a bad year with Renteria, but they showed a little promise at least. Then with Maddon joining and the Cubs "curse" thing, Lester bought in and signed with them.

Essentially, I picture one of the big name FA's saying "Alrite, I can see myself playing with Hosmer and Abreu plus the kids for the next few years" rather than "Abreu and the kids". I think it would have to be a situation similar to Encarnacion or Trumbo where the contract comes down to a reasonable price and so it makes sense for the Sox. I'd imagine Hosmer would be a great recruiter - seems like a likable guy. Realistically, Moose might make the most sense since we don't have a 3B waiting in the wings until the latter half of 2019 and we might have an 1B/OF/DH jam coming soon.

Might be dumb, but something to throw out and discuss and see what you all thought.

Those guys require long term deals. I'm fine taking some good vets on a more expensive 1-yar deal, but I want financial flexibility for when we actually know what our needs are.

I didn't realize Arenado is available the next year .... I too actually might prefer Arenado over Machado.

I really think the most realistic way we sign any of these guys (Machado, Arenado, Harper) is giving a ridiculously front loaded contract with an opt out. We give them 3-4 years at something like $45mm a year. It pays them handsomely, but also lets them opt out at age 29-30 again for one last 8 year mega contract.

This works well for Machado and Harper who are younger.. not sure Arenado would go for such a deal.

In that plan we get 3-4 years of a superstar that corresponds with our biggest push for a world series. The hope would be they cash in and then 3-4 years later they opt out so they can get another long term mega contract.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Those guys require long term deals. I'm fine taking some good vets on a more expensive 1-yar deal, but I want financial flexibility for when we actually know what our needs are.

For sure, that is true - and this is all assuming the Sox want one of the big name guys. As others have said, I'd be fine with spreading the money around to a few guys in 2019 if they don't get one of the big guys.

Probably hurts that those are basically the only FA's worth mentioning (Hosmer, Moose, JD) and so the bidding will get pretty high I'm sure. A couple guys that could fit your 1-year idea might be Garlos Gomez or Carlos Gonzalez who looks like he'll be entering FA on a really down year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)

Obviously I'd love Harper, but that's a loooong shot. Not sure about Machado. Have no desire to get Donaldson.

Think I am firmly entrenched in the Arenado camp the following season. I think the timing is better.