2018 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I didn't understand Darvish over Arrieta when it happened,  and I still don't. 

I completely understood it.  Darvish is 3 years younger and didn't have any deterioration in his stuff at the time of the signing. I would have made that decision 7 days of the week and twice on Sunday. Darvish got injured, and he's a headcase. That is something that didn't show in Texas. He did fine for the Rangers in the playoffs. There was zero reason they could have believed that last season with the Dodgers was anything other than a fluke. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I completely understood it.  Darvish is 3 years younger and didn't have any deterioration in his stuff at the time of the signing. I would have made that decision 7 days of the week and twice on Sunday. Darvish got injured, and he's a headcase. That is something that didn't show in Texas. He did fine for the Rangers in the playoffs. There was zero reason they could have believed that last season with the Dodgers was anything other than a fluke. 

Didn't he get destroyed in the postseason vs Toronto?

It's a little bit like the Shields situation, getting blasted the previous start and overlooking it due to the prior body of work.

The rumor was that Darvish was tipping his pitches (with the Dodgers, particularly in the WS), and that there was not any noticeable deterioration in his actual stuff.  In hindsight, it's easy to say they would have been better off keeping Arrieta, but that would have been the thinking of approximately NOBODY in February of this year.

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It's a little bit like the Shields situation, getting blasted the previous start and overlooking it due to the prior body of work.

The rumor was that Darvish was tipping his pitches (with the Dodgers, particularly in the WS), and that there was not any noticeable deterioration in his actual stuff.  In hindsight, it's easy to say they would have been better off keeping Arrieta, but that would have been the thinking of approximately NOBODY in February of this year.

This is completely false.   There was nothing but local talk about how this was extremely risky and that you know Arrietta is a proven postseason winner which is the complete opposite of Darvish

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And who wanted to give Arrieta $75 million and 3 years?

I’m not arguing that the Cubs made the right decision, I’m telling you that there was a lot of talk around Chicago that trusting Darvish over Jake was questionable at best.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

David Kaplan was saying that if Darvish needs TJ and would miss all of 2019, that he will probably just retire. 

Can you imagine the Cubs getting away with that? He ends up retiring, they save $100M, and then go out and easily secure Harper and possibly more. That would be so fucking sickening to see go their way.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

David Kaplan was saying that if Darvish needs TJ and would miss all of 2019, that he will probably just retire. 

Can you imagine the Cubs getting away with that? He ends up retiring, they save $100M, and then go out and easily secure Harper and possibly more. That would be so fucking sickening to see go their way.

Does Kaplan actually know that or does he just have his Cubs tinted glasses on?

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I assume that Darvish is in a good spot financially, especially with his stardom in Japan, but why exactly would he just retire and give up $100 million in guaranteed money?  When exactly has that happened before? 

Oh, Kaplan said it.  Never mind then, I thought it was a legit source.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Some twitter speculation the Cubs claimed Daniel Murphy. For the most part,'their fans on twitter are not happy at the possibility given his comments in the past.

The Cubs would be last on the NL side right? I'm sure other teams before them claimed him as well since every team can place a claim in on a player..

Edited by soxfan2014

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Does Kaplan actually know that or does he just have his Cubs tinted glasses on?

His reasoning was that Darvish has talked about retiring even prior to signing his last contract, and with how hated he feels he might not feel he has earned the money and walk away from it all. Darvish seems to be a weird guy, so it wouldn't shock me. But I have no idea if that's just random speculation by Kaplan or actual things he is hearing.

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

His reasoning was that Darvish has talked about retiring even prior to signing his last contract, and with how hated he feels he might not feel he has earned the money and walk away from it all. Darvish seems to be a weird guy, so it wouldn't shock me. But I have no idea if that's just random speculation by Kaplan or actual things he is hearing.

This doesn't shock me since he is Japanese. This seems like something straight from their culture. But it's hard for me to believe anyone would walk away from that amount of money until it actually happens.

Edited by soxfan2014

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

This doesn't shock me since he is Japanese. This seems like something straight from their culture. But it's hard for me to believe anyone would walk away from that amount of money until it actually happens.

Yes, $101 million owed after this year. He isn't walking away. If he did, I wouldn't know whether to respect him or call him an idiot. Why can't he rehab and try to earn his money owed?

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, $101 million owed after this year. He isn't walking away. If he did, I wouldn't know whether to respect him or call him an idiot. Why can't he rehab and try to earn his money owed?

If it's partially injury related, would the union ever let the Cubs, their insurer, and Darvish come to an agreement where Darvish gets a slice of it then retires and everyone saves some money including the insurer who would be on the hook if he missed a full year+ for TJS?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If it's partially injury related, would the union ever let the Cubs, their insurer, and Darvish come to an agreement where Darvish gets a slice of it then retires and everyone saves some money including the insurer who would be on the hook if he missed a full year+ for TJS?

I would think he would get a lot of pressure from the union if he even considered it. I could see he might be doing an honorable thing if he walked away after injuring himself doing something other than playing the game. I would also wonder if money were not important, why he signed the contract he signed. I just think it's Kaplan thinking up his dream scenario.  

And I actually like Kaplan, even though he's a Cubs fan.

• Like 1