Once Again, Fire Ricky Renteria

Insp

A good manager has a certain gravitas and a personality that commands respect. Ricky teaches young players and goes along with the program. Does he have a vision? Does he have a goal or standard for this year's team? Does he reinforce key concepts with his players? Perhaps this team is just logging time while the younger players develop. I am not sure what the 2018 program is. 

On 6/26/2018 at 6:41 PM, fathom said:

Something to keep in mind is that Girardi was rumored to not have a good rapport with young players last year. Also when he was with the Marlins, he did a poor job handling young pitching.

He's obviously over his head.
But what exactly does the FO want in a manager?  I know they want someone who will listen to them...a lot of front offices want that.  But those other FOs want  the manager to follow their analytics and that sort of thing. What do the Sox want?  Someone who will put up with Cooper?  There's got to be some reason they have hired two weak managers in a row.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

But what exactly does the FO want in a manager?  I know they want someone who will listen to them...a lot of front offices want that.  But those other FOs want  the manager to follow their analytics and that sort of thing. What do the Sox want?  Someone who will put up with Cooper?  There's got to be some reason they have hired two weak managers in a row.

I think it's deeper than that, remember since the late 80's the Sox have hired only two guys who previously managed in the major leagues (Torborg, Renteria). JR has admitted that he's never thought managers (or head coaches) make that much of a difference and refuses to pay high amounts to get those type guys plus (and I'm not necessarily knocking him for this) he's always been a guy who likes to give opportunities to people, maybe that's because they are grateful to have a job and will work cheap, although if that is a part of it, I think it is a small part...he just likes to give folks chances and often the inexperience will show through.

One move from today’s game that has me scratching my head:  if he was planning to put Leury in CF after the ninth inning, why not use Leury to pinch hit for Engel and save a bench player.  I know that Palka walked to tie the game,  but maybe Leury drives in two and wins it.  He does have a higher average!

31 minutes ago, ttommarello823 said:

One move from today’s game that has me scratching my head:  if he was planning to put Leury in CF after the ninth inning, why not use Leury to pinch hit for Engel and save a bench player.  I know that Palka walked to tie the game,  but maybe Leury drives in two and wins it.  He does have a higher average!

I've thought this over some and part of the problem is the shit roster construction and not having a true backup IF on the bench since Tyler was cut.  It's obvious that Leury isn't an IF anymore so that leaves you exactly ZERO guys that can play SS/2B on the bench most nights.  That is just asking for trouble long term.

I guess I'll give Rick a pass on this one but FFS what is he fucking doing with the fucking IBB and bunts...he also seems to loathe the hit and run, which is something this team is naturally suited for and should be using much more often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think it is a small part...he just likes to give folks chances and often the inexperience will show through.

I appreciate that and I like how JR is really good to a lot of people.  But he's got to get someone who understands the game. A manager simply can't do what Renteria did today.

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I've thought this over some and part of the problem is the shit roster construction and not having a true backup IF on the bench since Tyler was cut.  It's obvious that Leury isn't an IF anymore so that leaves you exactly ZERO guys that can play SS/2B on the bench most nights.  That is just asking for trouble long term.

I guess I'll give Rick a pass on this one but FFS what is he fucking doing with the fucking IBB and bunts...he also seems to loathe the hit and run, which is something this team is naturally suited for and should be using much more often.

Leury played SS in one of his rehab games.  They just prefer Engel over him in CF, it's been that way since ST.

Ricky blows but he seems like a very nice guy and obviously he's helping the young guys from other countries on our team. It probably does take a certain kind of guy to get along with Coop. We have to remember Coop is sort of like assistant manager. He runs the all important pitching staff and is a very crabby guy.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:51 PM, Joshua Strong said:

Some names to keep an eye on 

Joe Girardi 

Raul Ibanez - Dodgers Special Assistant to GM

Brad Ausmus - Angels Special Assistant

Brandon Hyde - Cubs Bench Coach/Has ties to the Sox

Chris Woodward - Dodgers Third Base Coach

Sandy Alomar Jr. - Indians First Base Coach/Has ties to the Sox

Bo Porter - Braves Special Assistant

Jayce Tingler - Rangers Special Assistant

Josh Paul - Angels Bench Coach/Has ties to the Sox/Angels Catcher who dropped the third strike on AJ in the 2005 ALCS

I was all for the Sox going after and hiring Gabe Kapler to replace Robin Ventura. Now, I still want someone who fits that mold. 

Girardi is our next manager if we are serious about hard nosed baseball and winning baseball. If we want to take our chances with a nice guy manager we either keep RR or hire Omar Vizquel. Omar might be OK.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Leury played SS in one of his rehab games.  They just prefer Engel over him in CF, it's been that way since ST.

Well there's still no true backup SS because Leury hasn't played a single game at SS for the Sox since last year, where he played all of 2.  Not having a guy you're comfie with backing up short isn't ideal.  Not that I'm excusing the overall poor job Renteria does.

If the bunting is an org wide thing I'd just pray that it's practice and not some philsophy.  It would seem absolutely absurd to me that a team would shift AND bunt as much as the Sox.  That's like the logical equivalent of growing up a Yankees and Jets fan.

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Girardi is our next manager if we are serious about hard nosed baseball and winning baseball. If we want to take our chances with a nice guy manager we either keep RR or hire Omar Vizquel. Omar might be OK.

Don't be so sure.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/brian-cashman-reasons-firing-joe-girardi/story?id=50971046

But the overriding reason that Cashman soured on Girardi was the "connectivity and communication" issue with players, which was a concern to the GM as the Yankees move into their next phase of their youth movement led by Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez and the rest of the Baby Bombers.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:06 PM, caulfield12 said:

Other than Anderson and Leury...I guess Narvaez, the entire offense has regressed.

Steverson is fortunate at this point to have any big league job.

Davidson hasn't regressed; Palko.  Avi seems to be fine. I doubt that it's the hitting coach calling for bunts instead of driving the dagger.   To me, the bigger issue is the lack of progress with the young pitching.  And then it's hard to believe that the pitching coach doesn't have input into Renteria's often daft pitching decisions.  But Don the icon is also Don the sacred cow.
As for Renteria, a trait of weak managers is to hire weak mangers (when they obviously should hire the strongest that they can find). 

Edited by GreenSox

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Shame on this org if Ricky is around come next year. The players play like idiots and he has no feel for in-game strategy.

Hahn specifically said he wouldn’t evaluate Ricky on W&L’s (rightfully so) but how the team comes to play on a daily basis.  IMO, Ricky has clearly failed in that regard.  Most of the team appears to be pressing and playing sloppy, fundamentally poor baseball.  That is beyond unacceptable and when combined with his Robin Ventura like in-game strategy skills, I honestly believe a change needs to be made.  Having said all that, I’m very skeptical he doesn’t get at least one more year.  If Moncada doesn’t rebound in the second half of the season, I could see Steverson being 2019’s sacrificial lamb.

26 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Davidson hasn't regressed; Palko.  Avi seems to be fine. I doubt that it's the hitting coach calling for bunts instead of driving the dagger.   To me, the bigger issue is the lack of progress with the young pitching.  And then it's hard to believe that the pitching coach doesn't have input into Renteria's often daft pitching decisions.  But Don the icon is also Don the sacred cow.
As for Renteria, a trait of weak managers is to hire weak mangers (when they obviously should hire the strongest that they can find). 

You may be right, but I assume you mean Hahn. Renteria did not hire the key members of the coaching staff.  

On 6/28/2018 at 7:43 PM, GreenSox said:

I am a big fan, but I'm sure Ozzie had something to do with it. They went the opposite.