Astros interested in Abreu?

southsider2k5

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Whitley is the number 1 pitching prospect in baseball to some. He's not going anywhere. Certainly not for Abreu.

Man you guys devalue Abreu. Have you looked at his career stats? The guy is an all star and more than that a good clubhouse guy, too. He's a fricking stud. He will bring a ton back. For the record, greg DOES NOT want to trade him, I've just accepted that he gawn.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to go on record again to say that we aren't getting a top end player for Abreu. 

I'm on the record saying if we DONT get a top end or 2 player for Abreu that Hahn should be fired on the spot. He's as proven a player as you can acquire and he has 5-6 good to great years left. My gawd. Devalue your own some more.

Just now, greg775 said:

I'm on the record saying if we DONT get a top end or 2 player for Abreu that Hahn should be fired on the spot. He's as proven a player as you can acquire and he has 5-6 good to great years left. My gawd. Devalue your own some more.

Ironic coming from a guy that thinks this is a 48 win team WITH HIM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Ironic coming from a guy that thinks this is a 48 win team WITH HIM.

We are a 48, 49 win team IMO. You wait. That's our win total this season. I stand by that but NO WAY are we winning more than 53 games. And we won't win that many.

Trading Abreu would net the Sox about 2 wins in the negative the rest of the way, maybe more depending on what pile of suck replaces him (although it's probably Davidson to 1st, Palka to DH, which might be OK), and move them up a draft spot or two.

Something to consider.  It's a hard call.  It's why GM is a tough ass fucking job.  I value Jose, love his professionalism, how he's worked on his body, and so on.  I thank him for signing in spring when I saw him and all that he's meant to Chicago in his time here -- but if it's better long term to move him, well, you do it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am going to go on record again to say that we aren't getting a top end player for Abreu. 

Agreed. People here overrate the hell out of him. I'd like to wait for the right package, but his value is limited. 

Wow, this is great news! However, the Sox must be weary to not trade Abreu for a JD Martinez-like return.

The astros are loaded with prospects that they can't seem to find positions to play. Abreu makes a lot of sense for them and they know they have another WS championship caliber team. 

Give me Tucker + JD Davis for Abreu + ____ (RP?). 

Am I crazy? PRobably. But I DO NOT trade Abreu just because. As others have stated -- he is the white sox soul. I go to the park to watch Abreu (and moncada). If you are trading Abreu, you need to get a return worthwhile. Bottom line and I don't care what 'standards' are set in place from previous trades. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Greg, if you trade Jose, I would think you might.....might get a Blake Rutherford or Micker Adolfo as the the headliner. You cool with that?

Do you really think Greg has any idea who those players are? Not to be rude but his understanding of the game is very limited and has reached its ceiling. 

Fangraph's primer from late Feb:

Astros Top Prospects
Rk Name Age High Level Position ETA FV
1 Forrest Whitley 20 AA RHP 2018 60
2 Kyle Tucker 21 AA RF 2019 60
3 Yordan Alvarez 20 A+ LF 2020 50
4 JB Bukauskas 21 A- RHP 2019 50
5 Hector Perez 21 R RHP 2020 45
6 Cionel Perez 21 AA LHP 2019 45
7 Freudis Nova 18 R INF 2021 40
8 Corbin Martin 22 A- RHP 2020 40
9 JD Davis 24 MLB 3B 2018 40
10 Gilberto Celestino 19 R OF 2020 40

Gimme the low level guys and as many as possible.  Sox are already loaded with premium talent at most levels above low A, swing for the fences here with years 4-6 from now in mind. Their scouting of toolsy latin guys (and perhaps with rutherford) seems to have vastly improved.  Put it to the test.

Edited by chitownsportsfan