White Sox at Royals 7.15 game thread 1:10 first pitch

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was going to say, the positives from that first inning was getting ahead with good fastball command.  He’s got to find a way to command his breaking pitches and be able wipe guys out though.  He can’t survive without them.

He has good breakers, in fact they're all average or plus but he has zero command of any of them. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He has good breakers, in fact they're all average or plus but he has zero command of any of them. 

I mean, a month or two ago nothing was working for him.  At least right now, his velocity has returned (for the most part) and his fastball command has gotten better.  His breaking stuff is what will ultimately make or break him and those can be weapons if he can harness/locate them.  We all saw host nasty they were in that mystical spring training start against the Cubs.  I remain cautiously optimistic with Giolito, but I really think we’re going to have a few more rough patches (and I mean rough) before it all finally clicks.  That probably won’t be next year if I had to guess, but right now giving him these starts is a worthy investment.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, a month or two ago nothing was working for him.  At least right now, his velocity has returned (for the most part) and his fastball command has gotten better.  His breaking stuff is what will ultimately make or break him and those can be weapons if he can harness/locate them.  We all saw host nasty they were in that mystical spring training start against the Cubs.  I remain cautiously optimistic with Giolito, but I really think we’re going to have a few more rough patches (and I mean rough) before it all finally clicks.  That probably won’t be next year if I had to guess, but right now giving him these starts is a worthy investment.

I think the light might come on for him next year, but not until June. Both of his breakers are plus and he has an average to above average changeup, but he leaves the damn change high with regularity, like on that last pitch that got crushed. If he gets the change down it would go a long way for him. He leaves it up way to much. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Gio is really throwing a heavy baseball so far.  Everything has a ton of downward movement.

He should go to sinker-slider more if he wants immediate results, rather than the fastball-curveball guy that he was as an elite prospect. He can go fastball-curveball when he he's getting it up to 95-97(which we now know he still has) As he's getting more comfortable with repeating his delivery though, I think the sinker-slider combo is better for him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Damn where was that?

That slider was disgusting and right on the black. I have no clue why he didn't get the backwards K on that one. More reason for him to go to sinker-slider for a while. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not that it is super important due to it being the last game before the AS but pitching to contact along with getting outs, is a good strategy after a high pitch count through the 1st 2 innings. He should be able to get through 6 now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman