KW on Jimenez/Kopech

Jose Abreu

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Pardon my ignorance, but when GMs play the service clock game, do they really tell the players that’s what their plan is? I always assumed it was something that was never admitted, even though everyone knows what is happening, and the GMs know that everyone knows. 

They can't tell them outright.  But they can sure as heck outline the plan, and embellish it with as many details as they want to makes it sound sadly plausible.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

One thing I will say, just because we don't know their plan, doesn't mean that Michael Kopech and Eloy Jimenez haven't been briefed either.  I am sure there have been plenty of detailed conversations with them and/or their agents.

The laughing "I don't really know" when he's asked what boxes need to be checked is kinda hard to square with this unless he's already really good with mind games in the press.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The laughing "I don't really know" when he's asked what boxes need to be checked is kinda hard to square with this unless he's already really good with mind games in the press.

His reaction looks to me like there is an inside joke somewhere.  He wasn't upset, mad, or confused.  He laughed.  My guess from being around a lot of teams is that the players in the clubhouse are giving him grief about it.

Lot of straw arguments going on in here. It's not that you expect a player to magically become worse while dominating AAA. The question is *when* will he be reaching his potential in MLB. A guy with an 1.100 OPS in AAA is probably not getting more prepared to hit MLB pitching while he's in AAA. So long as that is true, you're not just delaying the time when he becomes a free agent but also the time when he's a player that's going to carry your team. Maybe he's going to be great as soon as he is called up, but maybe he'll need a year or two or three. While some have written off Moncada already, it's very plausible that by this time next year he's setting the world on fire and we'll be glad that we have him ready to go in mid-2019 rather than being right in the middle of taking his lumps at that point.

As for the specific situation with Eloy, the more the Sox bide their time the less sense it makes to call him up. That being said, I think with all else being equal he could benefit particularly by having a couple months of MLB experience and then an offseason to deal with whatever happens in those 2 months. He can get that experience and then has an extended time to see what adjustments he has to make, adjustments that may be hard to implement in the middle of his rookie season. Depending on what the Sox see, it can also help them in their planning with regard to player acquisition to see just how ready he is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Or he knows he's played less than half a season of games above A ball. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or he knows he's played less than half a season of games above A ball. 

From how he's talked to reporters this season (ex: "see you in Chicago soon" a month or two ago), I don't think he cares about that, and I'd guess that the "I don't really know" was legitimate 

32 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

From how he's talked to reporters this season (ex: "see you in Chicago soon" a month or two ago), I don't think he cares about that, and I'd guess that the "I don't really know" was legitimate 

He doesn't seem to be the type of guy that is going to get too shaken up by it.  He literally laughed it off.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

"He’s not going to be a liability out there, that’s for sure.”

That's a welcome change from all the "he's literally awful, already just a DH" that I keep hearing here 

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Well, if it’s not in the next week, it would be a mistake IMO. I can see 2 months of MLB development being greater than a year of possible service time, but not just 1 or so

100% agree.  Also, this indicates to me they plan on putting a competitive team out there next year.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  Also, this indicates to me they plan on putting a competitive team out there next year.

I think they're waiting until they can move Shields to open up a spot for Kopech. Then again, Covey probably should be in the bullpen so maybe they move him and DFA Santiago. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Could a solid two month debut by Kopech and Eloy help lure Machado here? We obviously would still need to offer him the most money, but I wonder if that would have any effect. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they're waiting until they can launch Shields to open up a spot for Kopech. 

That would be a mistake,as I don’t think they will find a taker.either give them the full 2 months or wait till mid April 2019.no point in them coming up close to September.