KW on Jimenez/Kopech

Jose Abreu

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s unlikely he would do that when Hahn was just in town...he better get called up, I just informed someone in a White Sox T-shirt at the local Hy-Vee the move was coming!

You live by a Hy-Vee?! Me too! Best store ever! Which one you by?

54 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

You live by a Hy-Vee?! Me too! Best store ever! Which one you by?

Bettendorf...53rd Street

And it’s employee owned.  (Full disclaimer, have never worked at a Hy-Vee, but it’s an Iowa tradition like Whitey’s ice cream and Happy Joe’s pizza, haha)

Edited by caulfield12

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bettendorf...53rd Street

And it’s employee owned.  (Full disclaimer, have never worked at a Hy-Vee, but it’s an Iowa tradition like Whitey’s ice cream and Happy Joe’s pizza, haha)

Nice. I'm near the Sycamore, IL store. Always thought the cofounder looked like Babe Ruth lol

hb22.jpg

Just so I stick this somewhere, wanted to count this before going home.

By my numbers, ignoring a partial game they have to complete, I see 27 games left on Charlotte's schedule. Kopech pitched yesterday, so if he pitches every 5th game, he'd have 5 starts remaining. If they had him go every 5th day, they might be able to pack a 6th in, but let's say he has 5 starts left.

He's thrown 113.1 innings so far this year. If he went 7 IP in each of his remaining starts, which would be high for him but it's what he's done his last 2 outings, that would put him at 148.1 innings this year. Altogether last year he pitched 134 innings, so although it's at a higher level, I'd kinda like him to be able to get 12 or so innings more than that, to get closer to 160. 

So...if I was doing what was best for his development, I'd probably have him complete the season in Charlotte, try to stay in the groove he's in right now, and then give him a September callup with a plan that he's going to start 2 games down the stretch and then make a few final outings out of the bullpen to finish the year. That gives him a bit of MLB experience, game planning, and coaching, and it gets his innings where we'd want them this year, so that we can think about him going 180+ innings next year in the bigs.

I would be a little disappointed if he wound up close to 140 innings this year and they didn't call him up to push his arm a little more, that might be the right thing financially but it's not the right thing to do with his arm. I also don't think he's an AFL candidate, especially with him looking good right now I don't want him to just take a month off and then start again, and with the number of injuries we've had there are probably a lot of other guys who should have priority for those 6 slots just to get more complete seasons in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just so I stick this somewhere, wanted to count this before going home.

By my numbers, ignoring a partial game they have to complete, I see 27 games left on Charlotte's schedule. Kopech pitched yesterday, so if he pitches every 5th game, he'd have 5 starts remaining. If they had him go every 5th day, they might be able to pack a 6th in, but let's say he has 5 starts left.

He's thrown 113.1 innings so far this year. If he went 7 IP in each of his remaining starts, which would be high for him but it's what he's done his last 2 outings, that would put him at 148.1 innings this year. Altogether last year he pitched 134 innings, so although it's at a higher level, I'd kinda like him to be able to get 12 or so innings more than that, to get closer to 160. 

So...if I was doing what was best for his development, I'd probably have him complete the season in Charlotte, try to stay in the groove he's in right now, and then give him a September callup with a plan that he's going to start 2 games down the stretch and then make a few final outings out of the bullpen to finish the year. That gives him a bit of MLB experience, game planning, and coaching, and it gets his innings where we'd want them this year, so that we can think about him going 180+ innings next year in the bigs.

I would be a little disappointed if he wound up close to 140 innings this year and they didn't call him up to push his arm a little more, that might be the right thing financially but it's not the right thing to do with his arm. I also don't think he's an AFL candidate, especially with him looking good right now I don't want him to just take a month off and then start again, and with the number of injuries we've had there are probably a lot of other guys who should have priority for those 6 slots just to get more complete seasons in.

Chris Sale went from 71 to 192. Jon Garland went from 140 to 200. John Danks went from 139 to 195. Once he gets to the 140 mark, I don't think the extra means much. Besides, a lot would have to go right for Kopech to pitch 180 innings in 2019. Probably no missed starts, and making longer starts than he did in AAA.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Chris Sale went from 71 to 192. Jon Garland went from 140 to 200. John Danks went from 139 to 195. Once he gets to the 140 mark, I don't think the extra means much. Besides, a lot would have to go right for Kopech to pitch 180 innings in 2019. Probably no missed starts, and making longer starts than he did in AAA.

And the next year Chris Sale went on the disabled list for a month at the start of the season with arm problems and had to blow up at Kenny Williams to avoid being put in the bullpen. That some guys did not get hurt does not mean that there isn't a best way to do this. 

There has been no better organization at keeping pitchers healthy and growing people into starters from a low innings total.  The Sox don't really pick a hard number as much as the monitor the stuff of the pitchers.  If they hit an innings total and are still fine they let them keep going, if the stuff or mechanics starts to suffer, that's when they typically skip a start.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And the next year Chris Sale went on the disabled list for a month at the start of the season with arm problems and had to blow up at Kenny Williams to avoid being put in the bullpen. That some guys did not get hurt does not mean that there isn't a best way to do this. 

He made 29 starts, and pitched 192 innings.  What is your over/under for Kopech starts and innings next year? Seems the White Sox know what they are doing with this. Their track record vs. other teams, seems to be pretty favorable. 

And, if his DL stint was at the beginning of the season, what did that have to do with increasing innings?

Edited by Dick Allen

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

when's the last time they had guys worth giving half a shit about it with tho?

Chris Sale was the last guy.  And at that point he as a reliever, and the team was in a vastly different situation.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Chris Sale was the last guy.  And at that point he as a reliever, and the team was in a vastly different situation.  

I think Sept call-ups in the AL  this season will be affected by the pennant races. Too many teams will be assured playoff spots or out of contention.  There will be a ton of AL games with small crowds and many AAA players, so  the "MLB" experience" may be tainted.    

Edited by SCCWS
spell

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

So can y'all cite any example of the White Sox purposely not calling a guy up for service time reasons or is that a new priority on their list?

They really haven't had this type of situation since the rules changed. But if RH should have been fired 4 times, you should be fired for bringing Kopech up in September for a start or 2 then putting him in the bullpen, thus blowing an entire year of control .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They really haven't had this type of situation since the rules changed. But if RH should have been fired 4 times, you should be fired for bringing Kopech up in September for a start or 2 then putting him in the bullpen, thus blowing an entire year of control .

Well, except for last year with Giolito and Lopez, who were both called up in early August, but that was so long ago that it's understandable you'd forget.