8/27 GT - Rodon vs Tanaka

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Someone said “he could be Alexei” and he said “he could be better.” He’s saying he could be better than a solid player. @JUSTgottaBELIEVE wasn’t being a downer, he was being anything but

Yep. I’m a big TA fan. I know he’s not a big OBP guy but I don’t care. He’s a dynamic player with loads of potential and really fun to watch. It’s starting to click and if it does look out. We could have ourselves an all star shortstop in a couple years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Someone said “he could be Alexei” and he said “he could be better.” He’s saying he could be better than a solid player. @JUSTgottaBELIEVE wasn’t being a downer, he was being anything but

Timmy Anderson and other youngsters are learning and growing as ball players 

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep. I’m a big TA fan. I know he’s not a big OBP guy but I don’t care. He’s a dynamic player with loads of potential and really fun to watch. It’s starting to click and if it does look out. We could have ourselves an all star shortstop in a couple years.

When this team is he will definitely be no higher than 7th or 8th because of his OBP woes, but his defense, power, SB capabilities is definitely valuable.  I guess he is hitting there now anyways, but I agree he can still be valuable when the Sox are good.  He also seems to be liked on the team and possibly could be leader material.

Most of us have asserted that, if Engel could hit .250, he could be a useful centerfielder. Since May 1ST, he has hit better than .250 and is improving. I really wanted this guy to figure it out, and that appears to be happening.

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Most of us have asserted that, if Engel could hit .250, he could be a useful centerfielder. Since May 1ST, he has hit better than .250 and is improving. I really wanted this guy to figure it out, and that appears to be happening.

Well I'd like to see Anderson and Engel as our 8th and 9th hitters when we are competing. If both can play like they have been that would be huge. Because good teams have players like this at the bottom of their lineups. 

8 minutes ago, daggins said:

Minaya is no great shakes but he isn't pitching poorly, so this just comes off as Ricky getting cute.

ESPN guys especially Eduardo Perez thought it was just because Minaya had been extended a bit with 25 pitches and the Yankees switch hitter was worse from the right side. Ok it worked so Ricky is a genius I guess

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Well I'd like to see Anderson and Engel as our 8th and 9th hitters when we are competing. If both can play like they have been that would be huge. Because good teams have players like this at the bottom of their lineups. 

If Robert can get healthy and play a full year he could supplant Engel, but you could do worse with a 4th OF than can play like that defensively and hit .250.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yes, in fact few teams have 8 and 9 hitters, as good as Anderson and Engel have been, this year and it wouldn't be surprising if they both get better. You have to love their speed. Once Moncada can get back to hitting at the top of order, and you add Eloy, next year the bottom 3RD could be Narvaez, Anderson and Engel. That would be a very decent bottom of the order. That's one of the reasons that I think they could be competitive next season. 

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Yeah, it worked, and there was a minimal chance it wouldn't work, but it's not a good strategy. Next year, when its Hamilton and Burdi, I hope he isn't so whimsical with his calls.

It would be better if he wasn't making those calls.

6 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

If Robert can get healthy and play a full year he could supplant Engel, but you could do worse with a 4th OF than can play like that defensively and hit .250.

Robert is likely the future centerfielder, but as young and raw as he is, I think that he is at least two more years away from the "Show". He lost a lot of valuable development, with his injuries, this year. He barely had any time in A Ball. Next year maybe he makes it to AA and the following year, AAA. If Engel could hold down the position until then, that would be terrific.

Edited by Lillian

30 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

When this team is he will definitely be no higher than 7th or 8th because of his OBP woes, but his defense, power, SB capabilities is definitely valuable.  I guess he is hitting there now anyways, but I agree he can still be valuable when the Sox are good.  He also seems to be liked on the team and possibly could be leader material.

Is it possible he doesn’t have OBP woes “when the Sox are good?”

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Robert is likely the future centerfielder, but as young and raw as he is, I think that he is at least two more years away from the "Show". He lost a lot of valuable development, with his injuries, this year. He barely had any time in A Ball. Next year maybe he makes it to AA and the following year, AAA. If Engel could hold down the position until then, that would be terrific.

Robert is supposed to play in Arizona Fall League to help make up the time he missed this year. Should hopefully help.