Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

Just now, Soxman72 said:

And in other news, water is wet.  The union and other players expect free agents to take the top offer, so they can set the market for future players.

The Jay and Alonso acquisitions are back up, just in case the offers are extremely similar.

With this report and the Passan tweet, I think we are seeing the agent starting to sweat over the offers on the table.  Not close to what they were expecting and the agent is trying to create one last ditch effort to gain more.  I bet we are close to a decision.

Just my humble opinion.

The Jay and Alonso signing were an effort to cut down/eliminate the 'You guys stink' tax.

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

That new member on this forum (forgot what his username is) whose info seems pretty legitimate said in so many words a couple days ago that this would conclude today. Hope he's right.

Unless something drastically changes soon, this is not ending today.

12 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I am so shocked. 

I'm really worried that the Sox just are waiting this out and he's going to get annoyed and sign with a high offer with no counter opportunity. 

I also fear that happening, which is why they need to pay up and be damned if it's a few dollars more!

25 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

It's not just unloading Heyward's contract, it would be unloading his contract without taking significant bad salary in return, which is not going to happen

Their concern would be not just about taking back bad salary, but also having to give up valuable and cheap talent in a package just to get someone to take Heyward. Would trading Heyward, Quintana, Happ, and others for next to nothing be worthwhile if they took all the money they saved and signed Harper? That sounds like the team is worse than it was before.

Edited by Roughneck

Just now, Whitesox27 said:

This past weekend, he said "Monday is D-Day" or something along those lines.

Right but seeing as how things have really slowed down from last night & all of the media posturing, this one doesn't feel quite over yet.

It feels close to over but I'd be pretty surprised if we see some conclusion today.

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The White Sox aren't sending top tier prospects to Cleveland to acquire a guy with 2 years of expensive control (Bauer) or beating the rest of MLB in the bidding for Kluber.  It just isn't happening.  

I agree they shouldn’t, but they also shouldn’t go around acting like they’re ready to take the training wheels off if they’re not ready to ride without them.

if they’re going to bite on signing guys like Pollock and others in addition to Machado then take the training wheels off and ride like big boys. If the answer is they’re too young, then act like it. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

I think youre wrong.

If he takes 2/70. All he needs on the back end is 5/150 to hit the 7/220 mark. 

7/220 is under market, and the only way his agent will let him take it is if there is an opt out in year 2 or 3.

I tend to agree, but Heyward only got 8/$184M from the Cubs.  He wasn’t as good as Manny at the time (but came with less off the field baggage), but is he really worth $7M to $8M less in AAV?  I don’t know, maybe we were assuming too much when we were talking about 10/$350M contracts for these guys.

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres