Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, daggins said:

I was going to say that Robert should stay in A+ until he learns to take a walk but honestly it may be that he just doesn't need to at that level. Like, he's not even bothering to be patient because he knows he's that much better than everyone around him. Basically, he should be moved up soon.

Yea walks at that level just mean you don't swing the bat. Pitchers in A+ need to develop and you pitch to the hitters. To be the best you have to beat the best. Pitching around a guy like Robert just means you place a higher emphasis on winning then you do at development and that should never be the case in the lower levels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Madrigal can do what he’s doing now in the majors, then he will have been a fantastic pick. Whether you put him at the top of the lineup to lead off, or bat him 9th, there will always be room on a team for a guy that gats over .300 and plays great defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice to see DHing didn't phase Robert at all today. Single double HR yawn , another day at the office.

I got a laugh out of his last AB where it said “in play: out” and then you see it was a double.  Just keep KLaw away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I got a laugh out of his last AB where it said “in play: out” and then you see it was a double.  Just keep KLaw away

I just read the box score. I waste enough time sitting here staring at the computer when the Sox play. Bring Law on I think he'd just be likely to say there's no challenge left for Robert at A+ but i think there is . He can't sustain the torrid pace he's on so unless he gets promoted soon  I think we are likely to see him for another month in A+. This opinion may not age well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I just read the box score. I waste enough time sitting here staring at the computer when the Sox play. Bring Law on I think he'd just be likely to say there's no challenge left for Robert at A+ but i think there is . He can't sustain the torrid pace he's on so unless he gets promoted soon  I think we are likely to see him for another month in A+. This opinion may not age well.

Not sure if you know what the Law comment was in regards to, but Law tried to see Robert 4 times the last two years and he was hurt but then saw him this year and Robert went 0-5. Only hitless game of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I don't think the Sox will bring him up this year due to the fact he has a grand total of 383 PA, including 198 above A ball, in the Sox minor league system. If he is brought up this year, it's due to the fact that he's hitting like this in AA & AAA. 

Who cares how many at bats he has had in minors, look at his results because that is what matters. Should Sale have stayed in minors for a year or two just so he can get enough minor league innings? When a guy is ready he's ready. I think the problem is Luis Robert has clearly made some enourmous progress since the last time we saw him but most fans refuse to alter the original time frame we expected from him. This isn't the Robert we seen in previous years. He was showing very little power at all and now he is hitting home runs almost every other game. Time to alter the original time frame because this is a new Robert we are seeing.

Edited by JuliusO1274

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Who cares how many at bats he has had in minors, looks at his results because that is what matters. Should Sale have stayed in minors for a year or two just so he can get enough minor league innings? When a guy is ready he's ready. I think the problem is Luis Robert has clearly made some enourmous progress since the last time we saw him but most fans refuse to alter the original time frame we expected from him. This isn't the Robert we seen in previous years. He was showing very little power at all and now he is hitting home runs almost every other game. Time to alter the original time frame because this is a new Robert we are seeing.

It’s the same Robert, he’s just finally healthy. He showed a glimpse of his ability back in Spring Training 2018 prior to his injury as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Who cares how many at bats he has had in minors, look at his results because that is what matters. Should Sale have stayed in minors for a year or two just so he can get enough minor league innings? When a guy is ready he's ready. I think the problem is Luis Robert has clearly made some enourmous progress since the last time we saw him but most fans refuse to alter the original time frame we expected from him. This isn't the Robert we seen in previous years. He was showing very little power at all and now he is hitting home runs almost every other game. Time to alter the original time frame because this is a new Robert we are seeing.

Um you do realize that Robert is only in A+ ball now. Eloy was in AAA . He hasn't faced anywhere near the pitching that Eloy had. Progressing to just AAA this year would mean he has done well in AA which is the hardest leap to make especially with so few AB's because of health issues.

Most of us just wanted him to stay healthy and the tools he has would shine. But he still has a long way to go. Talking about making the jump to the majors this year ,while possible ,is still a long shot and definitely would be considered rushing him. The offices of the world are filled with guys who could hit in A+ only to flame out when the competition became more difficult. Let him stay healthy and do his thing. Even the best hitter in the minors , Vlad Guerrero Jr. , who some have called the best prospect in years has over 1000 minor league at bats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly think there is an outside chance Robert could pull a Juan Soto, but I do not think it's very likely to happen. One thing to keep in mind with that comparison, is Soto was close to a 20% BB% in A+ last season and walks a ridiculous amount in the majors. Robert is at 3.6% currently. We all need to temper expectations as he moves up. It's fun to see him succeeding like this and he's extremely talented, but let him get his AB's accordingly. That off speed stuff only gets tougher as you move up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not sure if you know what the Law comment was in regards to, but Law tried to see Robert 4 times the last two years and he was hurt but then saw him this year and Robert went 0-5. Only hitless game of the season.

I wasn't aware of the specifics but I knew Law had never had seen him at his best. But still bring him on. Laws opinion or what he see's of Robert will have no bearing on his career path. I know you were only joking about Law .Law is like everyone else. He has an informed opinion with a forum to spout it.  I put no stock in his opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I certainly think there is an outside chance Robert could pull a Juan Soto, but I do not think it's very likely to happen. One thing to keep in mind with that comparison, is Soto was close to a 20% BB% in A+ last season and walks a ridiculous amount in the majors. Robert is at 3.6% currently. We all need to temper expectations as he moves up. It's fun to see him succeeding like this and he's extremely talented, but let him get his AB's accordingly. That off speed stuff only gets tougher as you move up.

Juan Soto was also a part of a Nats team that was good and needed the boost. Robert soaring through the minors would make the Sox better and give them a boost. But a boost to what, 77 wins? No point. Under no realistic circumstance so I want to see Luis Robert in Chicago in 2019. Save that service time, call him up next April. At least there won't be backlash about it considering he started 2019 in A-ball.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another org minor leaguer who is doing well is Evan Marshall, Counselor at Law.  He had a great spring and it's continuing through Charlotte. He's spit the bit his 2 brief turns through the majors.  But it looks like it will be a steady train back and forth from Charlotte with relief pitchers.  
My man Mercedes continues to rake for Birmingham.  If he can hit like this (big IF, I know), it's not like the Sox are stacked at DH.

Edited by GreenSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Another org minor leaguer who is doing well is Evan Marshall, Counselor at Law.  He had a great spring and it's continuing through Charlotte. He's spit the bit his 2 brief turns through the majors.  But it looks like it will be a steady train back and forth from Charlotte with relief pitchers.  
My man Mercedes continues to rake for Birmingham.  If he can hit like this (big IF, I know), it's not like the Sox are stacked at DH.

I think I did a thread on him last year. (Mercedes) 26 and finally in AA ball . I hope he sniffs the majors at some point just because a cup of coffee always tastes good. Crash Davis had his cup of coffee for 21 days.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmags said:

Remember when we were worried about his power?

Speak for yourself! :)

4 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Gonzalez 1-1, BB so far. He's been very good the past few games. 

Nice to see that BABIP begin to normalize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmags said:

Just to be clear, the Sox do not give a shit about this.

WS drew almost 300k last year. You better believe that Jerry cares about that $$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

WS drew almost 300k last year. You better believe that Jerry cares about that $$

If the Sox owned Winston-Salem, sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relax everyone. Roberts has only played 13 games this year in A+. People are going bonkers because he hasn’t been called up to AA. At the earliest I see him getting called Mid May. It’s great that we are seeing the power being developed.  We now need to work on that 3.6% BB rate. Patience friends because he’s not getting called up in 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Quin said:

If the Sox owned Winston-Salem, sure.

They are owned by a man named Billy Primm and another owner is Jimmy Strickland. Great 80s Celtics type names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Relax everyone. Roberts has only played 13 games this year in A+. People are going bonkers because he hasn’t been called up to AA. At the earliest I see him getting called Mid May. It’s great that we are seeing the power being developed.  We now need to work on that 3.6% BB rate. Patience friends because he’s not getting called up in 2019. 

As other posters have said, it is pretty hard to work on taking walks when you’re hitting close to .500 with a 1.400 ops.  Every time you walk, you are literally hurting the team.  I think he needs to face more experienced pitchers before that skill is needed.  Which is not to say he will ever develop it.  Look at guys like TA and Avi Garcia.  Learning to walk more is not a given.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Forgot thats the one they don't own

I don't think they own any teams aside from AZL White Sox and DSL White Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

As other posters have said, it is pretty hard to work on taking walks when you’re hitting close to .500 with a 1.400 ops.  Every time you walk, you are literally hurting the team.  I think he needs to face more experienced pitchers before that skill is needed.  Which is not to say he will ever develop it.  Look at guys like TA and Avi Garcia.  Learning to walk more is not a given.

Exactly. If he wanted to be taking walks right now, he would be. The competition is just such a joke that walking, in this context, has fallen way down the list of preferred outcomes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NotHahn said:

Forgot thats the one they don't own

 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think they own any teams aside from AZL White Sox and DSL White Sox. 

Yup. They don't own the Knights, Barons, Dash, Intimidators, or Voyagers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×