When will Luis Robert be promoted again?

KnightsOnMintSt

35 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I wanted him to move slower, yes. I still don't want to rush him. Leave him at AA for the rest of the year. This drive to push him to AAA and the bigs ASAP is baffling to me. Eloy destroyed AA and even AAA, but is still trying to figure out MLB. And he had a much longer track record of MiLB success. Robert's not even at 50 games of minors time worth writing home about. So slow it down.

Eloy would look a hell of lot now better if he had the whole offseason after getting exposed a little bit. 

7 hours ago, The Sir said:

Don't know, don't care. He plays in an organization that has produced a decent number of solid MLB hitters in the last decade. Robert doesn't.

Each individual player is different. Just because he’s come up through the Sox organization doesn’t mean he will follow the same path of all those before him in the organization.

6 hours ago, mqr said:

Eloy would look a hell of lot now better if he had the whole offseason after getting exposed a little bit. 

And Eloy is a bat only guy. Robert clearly is not. Even if Robert posts a 700ish OPS his rookie year in MLB, he will still be a very productive player due to his defense and baserunning

• Like 2

Vazquel recently said that AA is a very good place for Robert to be for a while.  As Hahn and others say, a prospect will tell you when they are ready for the majors; and if the White Sox wanted to, they could promote Robert from AA to the majors.  As it is, they want him to get at bats and to fully settle into the American baseball environment.  There would not be a big down side for him to dominate AA over a number of months.

I do think it might be more of a benefit for Robert to play against the non-juiced balls in the bigger ballparks for a while. I worry about how the juiced balls in AAA might cover up some flaws in a player's game.

25 minutes ago, Jake said:

I do think it might be more of a benefit for Robert to play against the non-juiced balls in the bigger ballparks for a while. I worry about how the juiced balls in AAA might cover up some flaws in a player's game.

He's going to destroy baseballs regardless of how tightly they're wound. That sound off the bat is incredibly rare. I want to see him facing advanced pitching asap to find out who can exploit the holes in his approach. That's the next step in his development. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Sir said:

I wanted him to move slower, yes. I still don't want to rush him. Leave him at AA for the rest of the year. This drive to push him to AAA and the bigs ASAP is baffling to me. Eloy destroyed AA and even AAA, but is still trying to figure out MLB. And he had a much longer track record of MiLB success. Robert's not even at 50 games of minors time worth writing home about. So slow it down.

Why slow him down? He is crushing AA and clearly is on the path to seeing Charlotte within the next month or two. When a player is ready, promote them. 

Elite prospects will force the issue, which he really has this season.

15 hours ago, The Sir said:

I think your logic goes against your conclusion. Jimenez physical abilities got him through the minors but when he hit the MLB, he needed to learn adjustments and the league. These are things he couldn't learn in the minors. He needs to adjust at the MLB level.  The same will apply to Robert. Extra time in the minors will not teach the adjustments needed at the MLB level. The competition is just better. He needs to move up a level once he adjusts and learns at that level.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think your logic goes against your conclusion. Jimenez physical abilities got him through the minors bit when he hot the MLB l, he needs to learn adjustments and the league. These are things he couldn't learn in the minors. He needs to adjust at the MLB level.  The same will apply to Robert. Extra time in the minors will not teach the adjustments needed at the MLB level. The competition is just better. He needs to move up a level once he adjusts and learns at that level.

Same goes for Moncada and Anderson. They absolutely torched their way through the minors because they are physical freaks of nature that out talented just about everyone they played against. More time in the minors wouldn't have shortened their respective adjustment periods in the Majors, it would have just put it off. 

Bump. From Law's chat today.

Jeff

4:02

Best guess for MLB ETA for Luis Robert?

Keith Law

4:03

I think he'll be up this year. Why not? If he bumps to AAA, keeps hitting, don't you call him up and see if he can make the 2020 OD roster? I would.

Edited by DirtySox

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Same goes for Moncada and Anderson. They absolutely torched their way through the minors because they are physical freaks of nature that out talented just about everyone they played against. More time in the minors wouldn't have shortened their respective adjustment periods in the Majors, it would have just put it off. 

Neither one of those 2 guys "Torched the minors". Anderson had an .800 OPS in the minors 1 season, every year he struggled to start the year once he came up to the next level and usually had ok to good 2nd halves before they moved him up. Moncada had an .823 OPS (and falling) when we called him up from AAA.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Neither one of those 2 guys "Torched the minors". Anderson had an .800 OPS in the minors 1 season, every year he struggled to start the year once he came up to the next level and usually had ok to good 2nd halves before they moved him up. Moncada had an .823 OPS (and falling) when we called him up from AAA.

relative to their age and other tools those batting lines were pretty damn good and suggested they'd at worst be 1 WAR types upon entering MLB.  That's pretty much what happened.

I looked at the ZIPS projections for Robert and they have him at about 1 WAR if he was to be called up today (or half war for the remaining schedule). Even with a slash of something like 230/290/380.  It's a bit odd but ZIPS projects an isoD of almost .80 for Robert.  Not sure I see that walk rate in MLB.

All that said, there's zero reason to call him up this year.   He should be up in 2020 when it's  passed Super 2.   If they get him in AAA in the middle of July this year that would give him about 400 PA at the AA/AAA level before MLB, that's enough for a guy that talented.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

relative to their age and other tools those batting lines were pretty damn good and suggested they'd at worst be 1 WAR types upon entering MLB.  That's pretty much what happened.

I looked at the ZIPS projections for Robert and they have him at about 1 WAR if he was to be called up today (or half war for the remaining schedule). Even with a slash of something like 230/290/380.  It's a bit odd but ZIPS projects an isoD of almost .80 for Robert.  Not sure I see that walk rate in MLB.

All that said, there's zero reason to call him up this year.   He should be able in 2020 when it's  passed Super 2.

Waiting until mid-June 2020 to call up Robert at this rate makes no sense. The absolute latest we should see him is late-April

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Waiting until mid-June 2020 to call up Robert at this rate makes no sense. The absolute latest we should see him is late-April

Someone posted that the cutoff would be late April.   If it's between waiting another two months and pushing his arb control out one year it's a no brainer to wait.

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

After going 3-4 tonight, he's hitting .352 with a .972 OPS in AA. He's doing even better than Eloy by a significant margin now. 

He’s only 8 months younger than Eloy. They should be calling this kid up to the bigs soon. No way you should keep him down until late April if healthy.

I’m assuming Robert will be in the majors a month into the 2020 season, so you sort of have to work back from that.  The only real question is how to divide up his time between AA and AAA until then.  Not sure it really even matters all that much, but I’d probably move him to AAA in another month or so, giving him a few months in AAA this year. 

For the record, while I'm firmly on the "promote them when they're ready and don't sweat the service time" bandwagon, I find Luis Robert to be a tricky case. No past track record of success, has shown some history of contact/patience issues, doesn't have a lot of experience in general. He might be ready now or he might be in for a very rude awakening if he's moved up now. I don't know.