White Sox to Call Up Palka

DirtySox

2 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Is it past super2 date for Cease on July 3rd?

It's tricky since there isn't a concrete deadline (there are a couple factors that play into it) but I think July 3rd is safe. However, I don't think it matters nor is the reason. raBBit pointed out that there is doubleheader that day.

14 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Is it past super2 date for Cease on July 3rd?

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It's tricky since there isn't a concrete deadline (there are a couple factors that play into it) but I think July 3rd is safe. However, I don't think it matters nor is the reason. raBBit pointed out that there is doubleheader that day.

The M's & A's opening in Japan altered the typical service time dates. We are past the Super 2 deadline. There is no financial/service time incentive to keep Cease in the minors unless they plan to do so until the end of next April. Any fan complaining about the Sox being cheap with regards to Cease is a fan that has opinions you should not listen to. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The M's & A's opening in Japan altered the typical service time dates. We are past the Super 2 deadline. There is no financial/service time incentive to keep Cease in the minors unless they plan to do so until the end of next April. Any fan complaining about the Sox being cheap with regards to Cease is a fan that has opinions you should not listen to. 

I vote just call him up. Let him learn in the majors for the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Yup. I've been of that opinion for weeks. He's set up to fail in Charlotte. 

Any chance that was the plan until he struggled in his three starts prior to last night?  I’m guessing they would want him coming off a good start when he makes his debut. 

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I'm not sure what the guy has to do to "earn" another chance in your eyes.  The White Sox release their old left handed hitting DH and call up a left handed hitting DH that has a .922 OPS in AAA this year and finished 5th in  rookie of the year balloting last year and you are mad about that??   To even suggest the older Skole, with the 3500 career at bats with an OPS barely over .800 is more deserving is unhinged.  I will agree Palka had a horrific week and a half in April...but to completely write off his career because of that????     

Just want to endorse your argument, which is the same one that I've been making. Concerns about his outfield defence may not be warranted, as we're not even sure how they intend to use him. If he simply takes Alonso's spot, sharing first base and DH with Abreu, he'll be fine. I'm still leaning toward Collins going back to AAA, when Castillo returns, so that he can continue to get his reps, behind the plate.

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Yup it's a DH. Additionally, it's a home game against a shitty team and a date where people get off work. Sox can ease Cease into the MLB with a can of an opponent in front of what should be a healthy home crowd in what has the makings of a great day at the stadium. 

Well I certainly hope it's the day game cause I got tickets for that

For those of you, who are unhappy about Palka being called back up, you're really going to hate this suggestion: I was watching the Knight's game last night, and noticed that Engel has yet another new stance. I have no idea when he started using it, but he has put together a very nice streak, over the last 32 games, during which he has raised his average from .137 to .265. Over that stretch he's had 15 multi hit games and hit for power, with 8 HR's and 23 RBI's. He has raised his Slugging % from .216 to .497.

So, at the risk of getting "flamed," I would bring Adam back up, until T. A. returns and let him take Garcia's spot in CF, while Leury covers Tim's absence at SS. I know, Engel has had "too many chances already". We've all had that sentiment, at various points in his seemingly charmed career. Someone always seems to get hurt, thus providing another chance for Adam to get playing time. Nevertheless, this might seem like as good of time, as any to take yet one more look at him. It's too soon to call up Robert and neither of the other viable options for CF; Cordell, or Tilson, have demonstrated anything that looks better than Engel and neither one can hold a candle to his defence.

If R. R. insist upon playing Jay, let him play RF. Palka alternates with Abreu, sharing first base and DH vs. RH pitching. For those who want to see Mendick, he could take Rondon's place as the utility infielder. Collins returns to his primary catcher's role, at AA, when Castillo returns, unless they can trade or DFA Wellington. There, I said it and I'm not trolling. "Flame" away.

Batting order, vs RHP

SS  Leury 

RF  Jay

1B  Abreu

3B  Moncada

LF  Eloy

C   McCann/?  (McCann provides a little protection for Eloy)

DH Palka

2B  Sanchez

CF  Engel

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

For those of you, who are unhappy about Palka being called back up, you're really going to hate this suggestion: I was watching the Knight's game last night, and noticed that Engel has yet another new stance. I have no idea when he started using it, but he has put together a very nice streak, over the last 32 games, during which he has raised his average from .137 to .265. Over that stretch he's had 15 multi hit games and hit for power, with 8 HR's and 23 RBI's. He has raised his Slugging % from .216 to .497.

So, at the risk of getting "flamed," I would bring Adam back up, until T. A. returns and let him take Garcia's spot in CF, while Leury covers Tim's absence at SS. I know, Engel has had "too many chances already". We've all had that sentiment, at various points in his seemingly charmed career. Someone always seems to get hurt, thus providing another chance for Adam to get playing time. Nevertheless, this might seem like as good of time, as any to take yet one more look at him. It's too soon to call up Robert and neither of the other viable options for CF; Cordell, or Tilson, have demonstrated anything that looks better than Engel and neither one can hold a candle to his defence.

If R. R. insist upon playing Jay, let him play RF. Palka alternates with Abreu, sharing first base and DH vs. RH pitching. For those who want to see Mendick, he could take Rondon's place as the utility infielder. Collins returns to his primary catcher's role, at AA, when Castillo returns, unless they can trade or DFA Wellington. There, I said it and I'm not trolling. "Flame" away.

Batting order, vs RHP

SS  Leury 

RF  Jay

1B  Abreu

3B  Moncada

LF  Eloy

DH Palka

2B  Sanchez

CF  Engel

I agree with this. I miss his defense and am completely underwhelmed by Cordell and Tilson. I know a lot of you get pissed with his bat, but it sure is nice to have a centerfielder who catches everything that is reasonable, and if you complainers are being honest, Engel catches a lot of stuff that is completely unreasonable. His defense is light years better than Leury's and Tilson and I don't think his bat would be any worse than Tilson's or Cordells. 

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

And... it isn't in the majors?  His issue has been not throwing strikes recently correct?

When quality pitches get tee'd because the balls are juiced and the parks are small it makes you lose faith in your stuff and self as a pitcher. I dont think that'll happen with cease fully but it hurts development and stunts it at that level so he may as well finish it here. He's going to experience the same stuff here but the outcomes will be more realistic to what he actually has to adjust to.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Batting order, vs RHP

SS  Leury 

RF  Jay

1B  Abreu

3B  Moncada

LF  Eloy

DH Palka

2B  Sanchez

CF  Engel

Lol some of you love pain and misery.

Adam engels problem isnt his batting stance.

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Please present a better set of options to alleviate our "pain and misery". 

I can't for the life of me see how someone could argue its "too early to call up Robert" while finishing their thought saying bring up Engel. 

Its amazing to me that people have concluded that Cordell is awful and should be demoted after 2 months of production as good as Adam Engels best 2 months in his big league career. Cordell likely sucks, but it is really odd to me how people want to say send cordell down and give up on him because he hasnt hit after like 167 big league at bats career but they want to bring up Engel who hasnt hit in 800 big league at bats.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

30 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I can't for the life of me see how someone could argue its "too early to call up Robert" while finishing their thought saying bring up Engel. 

Its amazing to me that people have concluded that Cordell is awful and should be demoted after 2 months of production as good as Adam Engels best 2 months in his big league career. Cordell likely sucks, but it is really odd to me how people want to say send cordell down and give up on him because he hasnt hit after like 400 big league at bats career but they want to bring up Engel who hasnt hit in 3 years.

OK, so you would prefer to bring up Robert to play CF. I understand that argument, but I assume that you recognise that there are very good reasons not to do that. Perhaps one of the best reasons is that management is not eager to start the clock on his service time. One might think that a stint in AAA would be a more prudent approach. Then, they could wait until the point, next season, when he would not have yet accrued a year's worth of service time, to bring him up. Remember, this team is not in contention this season. So, what's the rush?

Cordell might be ok, but he is not as good of a defender as Engel, and he has not done anything, at either AAA or the Big League level, to distinguish himself as a top prospect. There is only 4 months difference in the ages of Cordell and Engel, so that isn't a factor. You might think that some of us enjoy "pain and misery," but I can assure that I'm not one of those. I'm just trying to be objective and consider all of the options.

I have always thought that Engel had loud enough tools to be given every opportunity to succeed. He is very fast and an elite defensive centerfielder. He's strong enough to be a power hitter, but admittedly has had a very difficult time developing his contact skills, with the bat. I think that the organization has always given him more opportunities, not only because of his potential, but because they recognise that he was a football first athlete and learning to hit is a long and difficult process for all but the most gifted hitters. I've always contended that hitting is a skill, which can be learned, without great athletic ability, but it does require a tremendous amount of practice. The offensive bar for Engel is lower than it would be, for an average outfielder, given Adam's defence. If he could hit just .250, with an OBP nearing .340 and hit 15 to 20 homers, he would be a very serviceable centerfielder and certainly a viable option as a 4TH outfielder. I personally don't think that goal is unattainable for him, but that's obviously just a fan's opinion. Apparently Sox management shares that view, or he wouldn't have been given as many opportunities, as he has. 

Sending Cordell back to AAA would not necessarily be "giving up on him," unless of course, he is out of options. Is he? If he trades places with Engel and puts together a month, like Adam has, he could be brought back up. There is still 3 months of the season left, so there is plenty of time to sort it out. For the time being, the Sox might be better served with Engel's range and glove in CF, to cover for Eloy and Jay, at the corners. 

Edited by Lillian

47 minutes ago, Lillian said:

OK, so you would prefer to bring up Robert to play CF. I understand that argument, but I assume that you recognise that there are very good reasons not to do that. Perhaps one of the best reasons is that management is not eager to start the clock on his service time. One might think that a stint in AAA would be a more prudent approach. Then, they could wait until the point, next season, when he would not have yet accrued a year's worth of service time, to bring him up. Remember, this team is not in contention this season. So, what's the rush?

Cordell might be ok, but he is not as good of a defender as Engel, and he has not done anything, at either AAA or the Big League level, to distinguish himself as a top prospect. There is only 4 months difference in the ages of Cordell and Engel, so that isn't a factor. You might think that some of us enjoy "pain and misery," but I can assure that I'm not one of those. I'm just trying to be objective and consider all of the options.

I have always thought that Engel had loud enough tools to be given every opportunity to succeed. He is very fast and an elite defensive centerfielder. He's strong enough to be a power hitter, but admittedly has had a very difficult time developing his contact skills, with the bat. I think that the organization has always given him more opportunities, not only because of his potential, but because they recognise that he was a football first athlete and learning to hit is a long and difficult process for all but the most gifted hitters. I've always contended that hitting is a skill, which can be learned, without great athletic ability, but it does require a tremendous amount of practice. The offensive bar for Engel is lower than it would be, for an average outfielder, given Adam's defence. If he could hit just .250, with an OBP nearing .340 and hit 15 to 20 homers, he would be a very serviceable centerfielder and certainly a viable option as a 4TH outfielder. I personally don't think that goal is unattainable for him, but that's obviously just a fan's opinion. Apparently Sox management shares that view, or he wouldn't have been given as many opportunities, as he has. 

Sending Cordell back to AAA would not necessarily be "giving up on him," unless of course, he is out of options. Is he? If he trades places with Engel and puts together a month, like Adam has, he could be brought back up. There is still 3 months of the season left, so there is plenty of time to sort it out. For the time being, the Sox might be better served with Engel's range and glove in CF, to cover for Eloy and Jay, at the corners. 

Hand eye coordination is at the very center of athleticism for me - jmo. Hitting is pure and absolute hand eye coordination. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hand eye coordination is at the very center of athleticism for me - jmo. Hitting is pure and absolute hand eye coordination. 

Yes, hand eye coordination, along with good vision, are essential for hitters. However, even then, many hitters take a long time to develop the skill.

Just now, Lillian said:

Yes, hand eye coordination, along with good vision, are essential for hitters. However, even then, many hitters take a long time to develop the skill.

Adam engel has no bat to ball skills. Never has. 

The reason why I never worried about tim anderson (incredible hands and wrists) is the exact reason I think adam Engel has no chance (horrible hands and stiff wrists).

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with this. I miss his defense and am completely underwhelmed by Cordell and Tilson. I know a lot of you get pissed with his bat, but it sure is nice to have a centerfielder who catches everything that is reasonable, and if you complainers are being honest, Engel catches a lot of stuff that is completely unreasonable. His defense is light years better than Leury's and Tilson and I don't think his bat would be any worse than Tilson's or Cordells. 

I agree.  With all these injuries second chances for Palka and Engle might be some weird blessing in disguise.  I only half believe this but nothing to lose at this point.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Adam engel has no bat to ball skills. Never has. 

The reason why I never worried about tim anderson (incredible hands and wrists) is the exact reason I think adam Engel has no chance (horrible hands and stiff wrists).

I'll defer to you on that topic. Apparently you have more knowledge about the nature and quality of Engel's hands and wrists. I have no such knowledge and try not to pontificate about such things. However, one has to wonder why the Sox would not have just DFA'd him, long ago, if that were the case.