Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jose Abreu

Renteria goes on pregame anti-analytics rant

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I know this is going to shock you guys, but after reading Ricky's quotes I am back in his corner. Yeah I despise the bunt, but Rick is the man for speaking out IMO!

Not surprising at all.  For a poster who always wants to “JUST WIN BABY”, you sure love supporting stupid opinions by our stupid manager which actually leads to the team losing more games.

How ironic.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fathom said:

And people wonder why this organization has been a joke for a decade.  The more behind the scenes stuff we hear, the more you realize how far this organization is away from the top organizations.

I was a kid when Bill Veeck was owner of the White Sox and i so badly wanted to root for him.  He had a great back story, he loved baseball, he was fun, and he was the owner of MY team...but man he was a terrible owner...he had no money and you'd start to like someone and then he was gone to save money.  At that time there was talk of him selling the team and moving it to St Pete...and I was kind of resigned to it...I loved the Sox but it was so terrible to be a baseball laughing stock.  When I read this i feel so much like those times...I so badly want to believe that there is a "new way" and that behind the scenes there is a new intelligence led by Hahn.  The Robert signing was great, the trades were great, the rebuild was the right thing to do and i still want to believe that in the off season they WILL spend the money.   But man they HAVE to fire Renteria.  I'm ok with a pleasant old school guy as your manager when you are in this painful rebuild and ignoring the science of baseball actually helps you get the top five picks.  But we are about to buy a new Ferrari and hand the keys over to this knucklehead?   Please have mercy on our souls.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Hahn is just an evil genius and is keeping Ricky employed because he knows Ricky will unintentionally tank more games with his awful in-game strategy than an average skilled manager and guarantee Hahn more high first round picks?  🤣

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Perhaps Hahn is just an evil genius and is keeping Ricky employed because he knows Ricky will unintentionally tank more games with his awful in-game strategy than an average skilled manager and guarantee Hahn more high first round picks?  🤣

Or he knows he has another two years of scapegoats by firing Steverson after this year and then Ricky after next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did the Cubs hire this guy? Yes, he has a reputation for being good with young players, which was probably the overriding factor, but they are also known for favoring numbers/stats. As good as his reputation is with young players (or was when being interviewed with the Cubs), I find it shocking that a guy who seems as indifferent as he does to these number would get the manager job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spiderman said:

How did the Cubs hire this guy? Yes, he has a reputation for being good with young players, which was probably the overriding factor, but they are also known for favoring numbers/stats. As good as his reputation is with young players (or was when being interviewed with the Cubs), I find it shocking that a guy who seems as indifferent as he does to these number would get the manager job.

You said it — his reputation with young players.  But I remember Cubs fans absolutely despising his in-game management and strategy and love of the bunt, just like many Sox fans currently do.  Also, notice how Theo dumped his ass the second a better manager became available and the kids came of age?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I know this is going to shock you guys, but after reading Ricky's quotes I am back in his corner. Yeah I despise the bunt, but Rick is the man for speaking out IMO!

Yeah we're stunned

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You said it — his reputation with young players.  But I remember Cubs fans absolutely despising his in-game management and strategy and love of the bunt, just like many Sox fans currently do.  Also, notice how Theo dumped his ass the second a better manager became available and the kids came of age?

Yes, once Madden became available, they made the move, but that a very smart move - they saw a clear upgrade and jumped at it. I'm not so sure the White Sox (or other teams would do that especially if a managers value is being diminished).....For the White Sox, they appear to be happy with him (at least, that is my take). Is there somebody out there (or who could be out there) that they would pull a similar move for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is the type of bullshit though that leads to Abreu batting 3rd the next two seasons

Not to mention playing 1B. Which is why I don't want him resigned. Sox FO wants Ricky to be the guy long term? Take away his toys that he plays terribly. Barring him batting Madrigal 3rd or cleanup in the future, I don't care if he puts any of the young guys that matter (Moncada, Robert, Vaughn, Eloy, etc) in those spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not to mention playing 1B. Which is why I don't want him resigned. Sox FO wants Ricky to be the guy long term? Take away his toys that he plays terribly. Barring him batting Madrigal 3rd or cleanup in the future, I don't care if he puts any of the young guys that matter (Moncada, Robert, Vaughn, Eloy, etc) in those spots.

The horrifying possibility is that Hahn and KW and whoever the hell us is running this clown show agrees with him.  Hahn should have stuck to finance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds pretty alarming. Some balance isn't bad but it sounds like he is not really willing to learn. Kyle boddy said many managers and coaches delete emails by the analytics crew without reading it and then joke about this.

It is all about what the front office tolerates. I think the sox are still in a "analytics is optional" stage. They are getting more of those progressive guys but the coaches and managers still can choose themselves how and if they want to use it. 

Houston on the other hand really enforced this and fired all the old school guys. Sox aren't there yet, they have smart analysts but it probably isn't enforced to use this top to bottom. Enforcing this is no easy job. Luhnow is hated in the industry and the easier way is to provide the analytics but make the usage optional in the hope that over time the employees learn to love this by themselves. Not as efficient though, albeit easier for organisational harmony and peace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

This sounds pretty alarming. Some balance isn't bad but it sounds like he is not really willing to learn. Kyle boddy said many managers and coaches delete emails by the analytics crew without reading it and then joke about this.

It is all about what the front office tolerates. I think the sox are still in a "analytics is optional" stage. They are getting more of those progressive guys but the coaches and managers still can choose themselves how and if they want to use it. 

Houston on the other hand really enforced this and fired all the old school guys. Sox aren't there yet, they have smart analysts but it probably isn't enforced to use this top to bottom. Enforcing this is no easy job. Luhnow is hated in the industry and the easier way is to provide the analytics but make the usage optional in the hope that over time the employees learn to love this by themselves. Not as efficient though, albeit easier for organisational harmony and peace.

There are a lot of weak wills in this org.  It starts with the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But he isn’t learning from his mistakes.  His bunting obsession is ridiculous and the fact that our GM has to release a player because Ricky will use him improperly means that he will never learn or change.

Ricky needs to go.

I will bet Hahn wanted Ricky to keep playing in the hope that he would play better and they would trade him. That's one I dont necessarily fault Ricky on. Where he had him in the lineup was the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I was a kid when Bill Veeck was owner of the White Sox and i so badly wanted to root for him.  He had a great back story, he loved baseball, he was fun, and he was the owner of MY team...but man he was a terrible owner...he had no money and you'd start to like someone and then he was gone to save money.  At that time there was talk of him selling the team and moving it to St Pete...and I was kind of resigned to it...I loved the Sox but it was so terrible to be a baseball laughing stock.  When I read this i feel so much like those times...I so badly want to believe that there is a "new way" and that behind the scenes there is a new intelligence led by Hahn.  The Robert signing was great, the trades were great, the rebuild was the right thing to do and i still want to believe that in the off season they WILL spend the money.   But man they HAVE to fire Renteria.  I'm ok with a pleasant old school guy as your manager when you are in this painful rebuild and ignoring the science of baseball actually helps you get the top five picks.  But we are about to buy a new Ferrari and hand the keys over to this knucklehead?   Please have mercy on our souls.      

I think you might be getting one former White Sox owner confused with a current White Sox owner in terms of who almost “moved the team to St. Pete”.  

Veeck helped save the Sox from moving to Seattle.  Reinsdorf threatened to move the team to St. Pete if the state didn’t meet his demand to make him a future billionaire by building him a stadium entirely funded off the backs of taxpayers, while also giving him a 40 year lease with annual guaranteed taxpayer-provided subsidies.  

Meanwhile, speaking of those subsidies and all of the revenues Reinsdorf has received from the new ballpark, if you thought Veeck was a “terrible owner”, who operated WITHOUT those taxpayer, built-in advantages, what in the world can you possibly think of Reinsdorf, particularly when you think of the franchise’s record since the park opened in 1991.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There are a lot of weak wills in this org.  It starts with the owner.

I disagree here. I think the owner being too stubborn and set in his ways is the issue, not that he is weak willed. It's the opposite in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ptatc said:

I disagree here. I think the owner being too stubborn and set in his ways is the issue, not that he is weak willed. It's the opposite in my opinion. 

two ways to say the same thing.  He'd rather weakly see his org rot then do the hard job of cleaning house and firing his buddies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

two ways to say the same thing.  He'd rather weakly see his org rot then do the hard job of cleaning house and firing his buddies. 

I guess. I dont think it's that he doesnt want to clean house and fire buddies. I think it's that he wants it done his way and that's the way it's going to be, right or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I will bet Hahn wanted Ricky to keep playing in the hope that he would play better and they would trade him. That's one I dont necessarily fault Ricky on. Where he had him in the lineup was the issue.

Jay has been starting since the trade deadline and is in the starting lineup as we speak.  Hahn trying to trade him obviously wasn’t the only reason Ricky was playing him.  Ricky loves playing Jay and putting him in stupid parts of the lineup based on his left handedness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I guess. I dont think it's that he doesnt want to clean house and fire buddies. I think it's that he wants it done his way and that's the way it's going to be, right or wrong.

It’s a combination of loyalty and ego, and it isn’t working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m one of the bigger apologists for the FO and Ricky but batting Jay cleanup is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen.  At least Alonso had the history to be a threat of extra base damage- Jay has no history that says he can do damage.  

Even RH relievers aren’t scared of Jay.  It’s not like having him there helps you in the later stages either.  It’s just dumb and I’d give anything to hear him defend it- maybe I could learn something🤔?

 

if you have to play jay put him 9th so he’s an actual THREAT to score when your 2 hitter smacks a double. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×