Jump to content
SoxBlanco

Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

Recommended Posts

JDM also has a limited NTC, that changes every year. There is an excellent chance the White Sox are on it this year, as well as a couple of other teams that could use a DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Twitter

Soxtalk is great, but White Sox twitter can be something else sometimes.

I encourage everyone here to participate in both

@stevenpo1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not going to breaking any moves. Not only is that incredibly difficult and I have only rarely had the information to do so, but I share what I can because I am annoyed by the flippant Sox fans who make up the loud minority. They're so flippant and whatever the Sox do is just the worst case scenario no matter what. And I get, we have sucked historically. It's just tired and old and affecting people's ability to reason. 

Hahn got up and did a bunch of GM speak last night. Implying 2021 is the year and they have no urgency this week. He's just bullshitting. They're not going to make moves for the sake of making moves but they're working to get better on multiple fronts.

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the $64 owed to Price in 2021 and 2022 is the main issue...but with that said, is there really that much excess $ involved between Price and Beni that we could get them for virtually free as many seem to be suggesting?


Both are projected at 2.6 WAR for 2020 and will make a combined $38M next year. Even at a fair $8M per WAR you are looking at $41M+ in value for those 2, which in theory doesn’t make them negative assets. 
 

Just playing devil’s advocate here...it will come down to Price’s medicals for sure. But I believe his issue last year was due to a cyst on his wrist that was removed? Not a structural arm issue? If Bumgarner is worth 5/100...3/96 for Price all of sudden doesn’t look THAT bad considering the lack of potential impact arms available.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am not going to breaking any moves. Not only is that incredibly difficult and I have only rarely had the information to do so, but I share what I can because I am annoyed by the flippant Sox fans who make up the loud minority. They're so flippant and whatever the Sox do is just the worst case scenario no matter what. And I get, we have sucked historically. It's just tired and old and affecting people's ability to reason. 

Hahn got up and did a bunch of GM speak last night. Implying 2021 is the year and they have no urgency this week. He's just bullshitting. They're not going to make moves for the sake of making moves but they're working to get better on multiple fronts.

well said... well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Obviously the $64 owed to Price in 2021 and 2022 is the main issue...but with that said, is there really that much excess $ involved between Price and Beni that we could get them for virtually free as many seem to be suggesting?


Both are projected at 2.6 WAR for 2020 and will make a combined $38M next year. Even at a fair $8M per WAR you are looking at $41M+ in value for those 2, which in theory doesn’t make them negative assets. 
 

Just playing devil’s advocate here...it will come down to Price’s medicals for sure. But I believe his issue last year was due to a cyst on his wrist that was removed? Not a structural arm issue? If Bumgarner is worth 5/100...3/96 for Price all of sudden doesn’t look THAT bad considering the lack of potential impact arms available.

I'd be happy with Price, but the stuff you get worried about as they have nagging injuries is them constantly compensating and stressing some other part of their arm - and always introducing a new injury.

But yeah, it has not been that sale level injury where you are worried about it long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am not going to breaking any moves. Not only is that incredibly difficult and I have only rarely had the information to do so, but I share what I can because I am annoyed by the flippant Sox fans who make up the loud minority. They're so flippant and whatever the Sox do is just the worst case scenario no matter what. And I get, we have sucked historically. It's just tired and old and affecting people's ability to reason. 

Hahn got up and did a bunch of GM speak last night. Implying 2021 is the year and they have no urgency this week. He's just bullshitting. They're not going to make moves for the sake of making moves but they're working to get better on multiple fronts.

I'm going to ignore everything you said.

Have they had talks with the Rockies that you know of?  They seem like a team that assets could be extracted from.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still want BOS to pay something even with Beni coming back...maybe not in 2020, but in 21 and 22, since this year we can afford it and conversely this is the year BOS needs maximum relief salary wise for the luxury tax.

Maybe BOS agrees to pay 22m, but it's broken down as 11m in 2021 and 11m in 2022 but nothing this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

@raBBit that's how you get his attention here since that shows up in our notifications.

ha, thanks Cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RH should do some things this year. It's not going to get cheaper next season, and the free agent crop of pitching isn't exactly bountiful. Kicking the can down the road another year would make no sense. They do have a lot of question marks. Who knows how Robert will be as a rookie. Who knows if Madrigal will look like Yolmer at the plate with fewer strikeouts his rookie year. Who knows if Moncada and TA can have close to .400 BABIP again. Who knows if Giolito is now what we hope he is. Who knows if Lopez or Cease can develop into good starters. Who knows if Kopech will be the same guy. Who knows if Rodon will finally have injuries behind him and be the ace he was projected to be. But it's time to take the leap of faith and start adding or by the time you do have a good team, your guys are all going to be getting paid, and the window will close or you will have to trade them all for prospects and start the thing all over again. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I did and it’s crazy how quickly his defense deteriorated.

He makes Ozuna look like Cespedes with that arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, raBBit said:

ha, thanks Cali

You're welcome and good post above even before I gave him that advice. I'd like to believe I am one of those reasonable fans . While I am still very critical of the front office and very leery of any kind of multiple year playoff run due to their utter disregard for the IFA process and lagging behind in the science of player development, I still try to stay focused and evaluate the team properly and use my ability to reason and not get too bothered by things I have no control over. Baseball and the Sox were always a unifying factor between my brothers and dad. That's a great thing in and of itself and helps me to keep my fandom in perspective.

While many may consider having a catch with your old man as a sappy part of a mediocre movie. That really was a thing with some of us.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

RH should do some things this year. It's not going to get cheaper next season, and the free agent crop of pitching isn't exactly bountiful. Kicking the can down the road another year would make no sense. They do have a lot of question marks. Who knows how Robert will be as a rookie. Who knows if Madrigal will look like Yolmer at the plate with fewer strikeouts his rookie year. Who knows if Moncada and TA can have close to .400 BABIP again. Who knows if Giolito is now what we hope he is. Who knows if Lopez or Cease can develop into good starters. Who knows if Kopech will be the same guy. Who knows if Rodon will finally have injuries behind him and be the ace he was projected to be. But it's time to take the leap of faith and start adding or by the time you do have a good team, your guys are all going to be getting paid, and the window will close or you will have to trade them all for prospects and start the thing all over again. 

Yeah this is generally how I feel, they need to make moves this off season for controllable players, although I would take Joc.  The quality of FA players next year is pretty shit when you look at anything realistic. Get your team in order this off season and address some holes next year which should be minor if they can do this right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of freaking out of not making a move at the meetings, even though the only move that's been made is a retention that was always going to happen. 

Edited by mqr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, raBBit said:

flippant Sox fans who make up the loud minority. They're so flippant and whatever the Sox do is just the worst case scenario no matter what.

Preach brother Brian, preach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd be happy with Price, but the stuff you get worried about as they have nagging injuries is them constantly compensating and stressing some other part of their arm - and always introducing a new injury.

But yeah, it has not been that sale level injury where you are worried about it long term.

Yeah I just think people are going a little overboard with the Red Sox stuff thinking we can take their players off their hands for free. 
 

Im sure their ownership doesn’t want to pay senseless millions because of the luxury tax, but at the same time I’m pretty positive they aren’t anywhere near broke and desperate either.
 

I don’t think they’d have to add much $ to Price’s 2021/2022 years to get legit prospects back for him and Benintendi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I am not going to breaking any moves. Not only is that incredibly difficult and I have only rarely had the information to do so, but I share what I can because I am annoyed by the flippant Sox fans who make up the loud minority. They're so flippant and whatever the Sox do is just the worst case scenario no matter what. And I get, we have sucked historically. It's just tired and old and affecting people's ability to reason. 

Hahn got up and did a bunch of GM speak last night. Implying 2021 is the year and they have no urgency this week. He's just bullshitting. They're not going to make moves for the sake of making moves but they're working to get better on multiple fronts.

Don't you think it would be more productive to decline the interviews until you made another move? In the last 24yrs, we have had Jerry laughing that the Sox were connected to Ozuna and now Hahn gibber jabbering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't you make me turn this car around Trevor !

Are we there yet?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cashman said:

Don't you think it would be more productive to decline the interviews until you made another move? In the last 24yrs, we have had Jerry laughing that the Sox were connected to Ozuna and now Hahn gibber jabbering.

We've also won a World Series in the last 24 years, so it's not ALL bad. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×